Author Topic: Who should we choose with our first draft pick?  (Read 37606 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Who should we choose with our first draft pick?
« Reply #225 on: November 12, 2013, 02:42:07 PM »
Reading Brett Anderson and Callum Twomey on twitter they now seem to think Scharenberg with go to Melb at 9 and Freeman will slip down to pick 13 (Carlton). Lennon won't get past us at 12.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #226 on: November 12, 2013, 04:17:41 PM »
Inside Football Mock Draft – Nov. 12th
Brett Anderson
SEN
12.19PM  12-11-2013

The draft is an ever changing beast and our draft expert Brett Anderson has been working the phones to recruiters, player managers and insiders to try to predict what may occur on draft night on November 21.

1. GWS Giants
Tom Boyd | Eastern Ranges | 199cm | 102kg.

Described as a once in a generation player, Boyd will quickly make the Giants forget about missing out on Lance Franklin to their crosstown rivals. He is a great compliment to Jeremy Cameron and boasts the versatility to player further afield – in the ruck, and also down back, at a pinch.

2. GWS Giants
Josh Kelly | Sandringham Dragons | 183cm | 75kg.

Kelly could well have gone in last year’s mini-draft, such is the regard he is held in amongst club recruiters and he will add some class on the outside for the Giants. His running capabilities will rival that of Tom Scully.

3. St Kilda
Jack Billings | Oakleigh Chargers | 184cm | 78kg.

Of all the midfielders in this draft, Billings is clearly the one that can be labeled as a potential match winner. He did have his injury problems this year, which hampered a mooted move into the midfield, but he will shift from half forward into the onball rotation as his tank improves.

4. Western Bulldogs
James Aish | Norwood | 184cm | 75kg.

Touted as a top-three lock pre-season, Aish could well fall to Gold Coast at pick 5, or even further, but talk is that the Dogs – who have drafted a host of inside ‘grunters’ in previous years, will find it hard pressed to pass up a classy outside ball user of his impeccable bloodlines.

5. Gold Coast Suns
Kade Kolodjashnij | Launceston | 190cm | 81kg.

Quiet and unassuming, the man known as ‘KK’ has shot up draft boards over recent months and could even be taken by the Saints at pick 3. If he becomes a Sun, look for them to also take twin brother Jake at pick 20 should he still be on the board as pre draft interviews suggested the twins work better when in tandem.

6. Collingwood
Christian Salem | Sandringham Dragons | 183cm | 81kg.

The Pies traded up to this pick to ensure they got their man. During trade week there was a strong whisper that Sydney were trying to trade ahead of Collingwood (at pick 10) to get their hands on the Dragons ball-winner. The Pies have two clear targets and Salem is more likely to be taken before pick 10, so they pull the trigger and add some class and size to their midfield.

7. Brisbane Lions
Cameron McCarthy | South Fremantle | 195cm | 89kg.

The first major curve ball of the draft with Brisbane adding to their key forward stocks despite the addition of Jackson Paine and a host of other developing talls on their list. It may be a slight reach, but with so many picks in the 20s, they can bolster their midfield there with the strong possibility than at least two highly ranked ball winners will be available.

8. North Melbourne (F/S)
Luke McDonald | Werribee | 188cm | 85kg.

The son of former Roo and football boss Donald has honed his game in the VFL this year and should be ready to step in at half-back from Round 1, 2014. Pick No. 8 is the right value for a player of his talents, despite North supporters complaining about West Coast bidding then trading their pick (6).

9. Melbourne
Matthew Scharenberg | Glenelg | 190cm | 89kg.

Considered a top five lock mid year, the rangy utility slips to Melbourne due to the rise of Kolodjashnij and the Lions punt on McCarthy. Paul Roos has added a fair amount of size and depth to the Dees midfield brigade via trades and free agency, and can do with boosting the back half. Scharenberg has raised a few ‘go home’ concerns with clubs during interviews (which may be a strong reason for Brisbane to pass), but he is amazing value here for the Dees, as he could also develop into another big-bodied midfieder.

10. Collingwood
Marcus Bontempelli | Northern Knights | 191cm | 83kg.

The Pies take educated the punt that both Brisbane and Melbourne pass on the big-bodied midfielder leaving them with both their main draft targets. His height at the stoppages will be a great asset, as will his long left foot, which has the ability to penetrate opposition defences.

11. West Coast
Dom Sheed | Subiaco | 184cm | 83kg.

West Coast traded back from pick No.6 safe in the knowledge that their main target would still be available. This is as close to a lock as there can be unless they fall in love late with fellow Sandgroper Blake Acres. Sheed will be ready to play from Round 1 and will help regenerate the Eagles midfield.

12. Richmond
Ben Lennon | Northern Knights | 188cm | 77kg.

Richmond is said to be targeting a midfielder and they get another elite kick in Lennon. He is very good overhead and having played mostly forward, adds a point of difference to the Tiger mix, and the club is very familiar with him as he spent time at Punt Road during pre season as part of the AIS AFL Academy.

13. Carlton
Nathan Freeman | Sandringham Dragons | 182cm | 85kg.

Carlton has publically declared they will be looking to add more run from their midfield and Freeman has the perfect mix of power and speed to give the Blues a point of difference in the middle. He can be the Blues version of Daniel Kerr or Luke Shuey alongside an aging Chris Judd.

14. GWS Giants
Tom Cutler | Oakleigh Chargers | 190cm | 85kg.

The Giants are keen to add to their defensive back six and whilst Cutler isn’t key position height and didn’t play much in 2013 due to injuries, his form in 2012 was as good as any. His rebound, competitiveness and run will be vital when GWS start to contend. Some may feel this is a touch high, but many clubs rate him inside the top 20 picks.

15. Sydney Swans
Zac Merrett | Sandringham Dragons | 178cm | 73kg.

Another left field selection and possibly a slight reach but Merrett has a huge upside after playing plenty of cricket as a youngster. With the recent additions of Kurt Tippett and Lance Franklin, the Swans need a smart ground level player to clean up the crumbs, and Merrett’s ball use and nous in the front half are in the upper echelon in this draft class.

16. Geelong
Blake Acres | West Perth | 189cm | 84kg.

The Cats have a few clear needs, but there isn’t a key defender available that is worthy of apick this high. Stephen Wells loves big-bodied midfielders and with the loss of Joel Corey, he gets another Western Australian to eventually take his place. Don’t rule out Zak Jones also as the Cats are big fans.

17. Fremantle
Trent Dumont | Norwood | 186cm | 83kg.

The Dockers are said to want a key position player at some stage, but with McCarthy gone, they add to their inside midfield stocks with Dumont (unless they roll the dice on Cameron Giles). Ross Lyon loves to draft players who can run and cover the ground, and Dumont is more than capable in this regard, plus he is ready to play right away which makes him a perfect for a club in premiership mode.

18. St Kilda
Lewis Taylor | Geelong Falcons | 173cm | 73kg.

If Taylor were 10cm taller, he would have been off the board in the top handful of picks, but despite the height concerns he is still very good value here. He can play in the middle or even across half forward and has more than enough tricks to make up for his size.

19. St Kilda
Matt Crouch | North Ballarat Rebels | 180cm | 78kg.

St Kilda continue to revamp their midfield by adding a clearance machine, and genuine footballer in Crouch. He isn’t as athletic as some of his peers – his running is a weakness, or as fashionable, but he’s a ball-winning animal who’ll serve the Saints well alongside Sebastian Ross and David Armitage on the inside of contests.

20. Gold Coast Suns
Jake Kolodjashnij | Launceston | 192cm | 90kg.

Gold Coast is yet to settle their defensive back six and by adding another tall, it will give them a few more options down the track. If the Suns want to pair up the twins, they will need to pick Jake here instead of waiting until pick No.27 with both Port Adelaide and Adelaide looming behind and both having great interest in the versatile defender.

http://www.sen.com.au/inside-football-display-article-2013/Inside-Football-Mock-Draft--Nov-12th/62506

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #227 on: November 12, 2013, 06:00:57 PM »
Shame that Salem has shortened. Seems to have bumped Lennon higher though which is a huge surprise.

Honestly if I'd be very surprised if Lennon wasn't top 10. Could be really lucky with him slipping to 12 with clubs going for what is best for their club instead of best available. Lennon and Salem are Top 6 picks in my opinion. If either slipped to us we are bloody laughing. Freeman not to bad for pick 13 either.
Go Tigers!

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #228 on: November 12, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »
I haven't seen any of these kids live but all I hope is we take a GENUINE midfielder. No more half/half types. IMO the last 3 first rounders are flanker/wingman types first with midfield second. I cannot see any of them as starting midfielders. That's not to say they are no good, just not GENUINE mids.
Cotch needs some serious help in the middle. IMO Dusty's our only potential starting mid on our list with a bigger tank.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #229 on: November 12, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »
Funny ubsay that

I was just thinking Lennon sounds alright

Yet he is  Goddard non mid apparently

His height is enthusing. Hence I like Lennon ahead Salem freeman

I would rather the, say, 8th best player in the draft even if he's a flanker

Than the 20th best who's a proper mid

If cot chin ain't got help yet he aint never have it. Martin. Deledio. Conca. Vlastuin. Foley. Someone like arnot helbig needs to come good. Just as critical as they uocomming draft

I'm a preemptive defense of deledio comments; if we have another highly skilled trust worth player for the back line the coach would have the luxury of not playing him behind the ball.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #230 on: November 12, 2013, 09:02:11 PM »
Have a look at a video of him, looks more like a mixture of cotchin and daisey Thomas to me - I hope we get Lennon, Salam  or Freeman in that order - Will be stoked to get Lennon or Salam

If someone else slips ,all and good, but being realistic Lennon or Salam  or Freeman will be a Tigerland and will be very good 

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »
Funny ubsay that

I was just thinking Lennon sounds alright

Yet he is  Goddard non mid apparently

His height is enthusing. Hence I like Lennon ahead Salem freeman

I would rather the, say, 8th best player in the draft even if he's a flanker

Than the 20th best who's a proper mid

If cot chin ain't got help yet he aint never have it. Martin. Deledio. Conca. Vlastuin. Foley. Someone like arnot helbig needs to come good. Just as critical as they uocomming draft

I'm a preemptive defense of deledio comments; if we have another highly skilled trust worth player for the back line the coach would have the luxury of not playing him behind the ball.
I wouldn't draft anyone if they weren't a genuine KP prospect, and I wouldn't draft anyone if they weren't a genuine ruckman prospect, and I wouldn't draft anyone if they weren't a genuine midfielder ever again  :whistle
No more skinny flanker/wingman!
IMO it's easier to teach a midfielder to play forward or back than it is to teach a flanker to play midfield.
The reason the kids are playing midfield in the TAC is because they are better than the other kids, who then play on the flanks. Draft ball magnets, not super athletes. Hawthorn I recon are the best at doing just that.
Pretty easy game hey!  :lol

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #232 on: November 12, 2013, 10:17:35 PM »
Only top 10 I'm not convinced. Is McCarthy , wouldn't bris go with a solid mid before a flaky kick kpp? ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Rampstar

« Reply #233 on: November 13, 2013, 09:04:55 AM »
Wouldnt it be good if Richmond selected Ben Nason at pick 12 just to see what would happen in the forums.

gerkin greg

« Reply #234 on: November 13, 2013, 09:27:22 AM »
Only top 10 I'm not convinced. Is McCarthy , wouldn't bris go with a solid mid before a flaky kick kpp? ::)

Isn't that the bloke that kicked the winning goal for WA after the siren???

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #235 on: November 13, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
Wouldnt it be good if Richmond selected Ben Nason at pick 12 just to see what would happen in the forums.
I don't think anything would be said in the forums - everybody would have had a heart attack and died on the spot!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #236 on: November 14, 2013, 05:34:54 PM »
We've had many worse players than Ben Nason....some of whom had long careers at the club. Knew where the goals were,  ran all day and above all, unlike a few others on our list , was smart and knew where to run.  Disposal was average but never really awful.

Just lacked the extra pace & strength a player really needs at that size and was pretty much useless in defence.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #237 on: November 14, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »
Just lacked the extra pace & strength a player really needs at that size and was pretty much useless in defence.

If I didn't know who you were talking about, I would guess Shaun Grigg.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #238 on: November 14, 2013, 07:31:45 PM »
Inside Football's Brett Anderson is on SEN now about to do his latest phantom draft (first round).

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #239 on: November 14, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »

If I didn't know who you were talking about, I would guess Shaun Grigg.

Ha!
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.