Author Topic: Ben Lennon [merged]  (Read 243879 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Lennon [merged]
« Reply #450 on: July 15, 2015, 10:54:25 PM »
you all do realise this is an unsubstantiated rumour ?

Lol, yep.  But lets not allow that to get in the road of panicked comment.

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
« Reply #451 on: July 16, 2015, 01:03:15 AM »
like clubs would be lining up huge offers for a guy who struggles to have an impact in the VFL. I'd like to see him playing AFL too but come on, it's not that much to ask for some top notch VFL games to force his way in. Come on

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #452 on: July 16, 2015, 02:59:40 AM »
Lennon was a first round pick only two years ago, to varying degrees he has an impact in most games, has been among the bests regularly this year and is clearly a class above VFL - reckon he'd have some currency. In regards to him forcing his way in -well I'd say he's done fair bit more than has been asked of certain others.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:35:47 AM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #453 on: July 16, 2015, 07:24:06 AM »
He was given games early for not doing much like Cory Ellis and menadue have in their first year too. I guess the difference is he has to work his way up now.  You know what you're gonna get from Morris every week. Yes he didn't do enough at vfl to deserve a call up but you know you're gonna get his aggression and pressure when you select him. Same can't be said for Lennon. Newman on the other hands a whole other story :/ needs to retire that old fella.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #454 on: July 16, 2015, 01:52:12 PM »

Nah, one of the mods posted it so it's all good ::)
T.O.O. has been on the net for years and isn't one to just make stuff up. In any case, if it was in an AFL website article that Lennon has put off talks until the end of the season then it's hardly unsubstantiated.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #455 on: July 16, 2015, 01:56:13 PM »
Anyway, this is what Lennon has said himself this week:

AUDIO: https://audioboom.com/boos/3372593-talking-tigers-episode-18-2015

* I feel like I’ve learned a lot this year and I’m still developing. Obviously, it’s frustrating not playing in the 'ones' but it’s more of a journey than a sprint, so I’ve just got to keep on working on my deficiencies and hopefully get in the seniors.

* I’ve been all right the last couple of weeks, learning the role as a wingman. Just trying to nail the role more so than anything and then ball will come. The coach wants the ball in my hands as much as possible, so just trying to get as much of it as I can, running a lot more and getting into the defensive half as well. I’ve got to try and play my role as best I can and run the right patterns and all that sort of thing as well.

* I have had stints down the backline and the forward line, so playing in the midfield and on the wing will add another string to my bow. It’s a little bit frustrating at times being thrown in different positions. You sort of feel like you’ve nailed one and then next minute you’re back in the backline or something like that.  But I think, looking back, it’s been really good for me and it’s only going to hold me in good stead. I know that if I get some opportunity, I’ll be able to play at the level.  But I’ve just got to play some good footy in the VFL and earn my spot. I’ve just got to keep telling myself that I’m a good player and can play at the level.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-07-16/lennon-learns-valuable-lessons

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #456 on: July 16, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »

Nah, one of the mods posted it so it's all good ::)
T.O.O. has been on the net for years and isn't one to just make stuff up. In any case, if it was in an AFL website article that Lennon has put off talks until the end of the season then it's hardly unsubstantiated.
Hahahah I will apologise to him on Sunday when I see him !

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #457 on: July 16, 2015, 03:40:15 PM »
"Sorry you gotta earn a spot , but dimmas mates don't Benny"
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #458 on: July 16, 2015, 04:20:05 PM »
do you think players should have to earn their spot with sustained quality performances?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #459 on: July 16, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
do you think players should have to earn their spot with sustained quality performances?

There are exceptions, but generally yes....and Lennon has at least done that moreso than Newman, Morris & Gordon.....now maybe Gordon gets a game for his pace -something which Lennon admitttedly lacks- and Morris for a very specific role (that he's not very good at IMO but anyway) but I can see no real reason why Newman in particular is getting games ahead of Lennon or for that matter, McDonough.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #460 on: July 16, 2015, 06:14:25 PM »
nor can I, but i just dont get using something you think is wrong when applied to one person as argument for justifying the same thing to others.

I'd much prefer to see young kids truly earn their spots in the senior team by a series of performances that just cant be ignored.

I would much rather it be due to those in the team actually earning their spots though, but i'm not about to contradict my own belief's and expect something i don't like to be applied more widely.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #461 on: July 16, 2015, 07:18:47 PM »
Exactly.
We know some players get gifted games. It's not good but It doesn't mean that young players shouldn't have to earn it.
And could  we please stop  brining Newman, Morris etc into every stuffing thread. We all know the situation.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #462 on: July 16, 2015, 09:31:12 PM »
Lennon wouldn't be getting gifted anything....has done enough to get a game ahead of Newman as has McDonough.

- Thomas Sowell

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #463 on: July 16, 2015, 10:58:05 PM »
Lennon wouldn't be getting gifted anything....has done enough to get a game ahead of Newman as has McDonough.
Really isn't that difficult though. Some of the VFL listed blokes offer more than Newman.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #464 on: July 17, 2015, 12:06:16 AM »

I agree. He deserves a game on merit, not because "Morris and Newman derr derrpy derrrpppp"