Author Topic: Rookie pick 11 - Todd Banfield  (Read 8583 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rookie pick 11 - Todd Banfield
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2013, 10:05:13 PM »
Does anyone know why he didn't get a run at Brisbane this year?

He seemed to get a run a couple of years back.

Don't hold me to it but I think Zorko pushed him out. Or if not Zorko directly the addition of Zorko caused them to reshuffle and out he went.
I thought it was that guy Green who played the same role as Banfield.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

dwaino

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2013, 10:08:24 PM »
Does anyone know why he didn't get a run at Brisbane this year?

He seemed to get a run a couple of years back.

Don't hold me to it but I think Zorko pushed him out. Or if not Zorko directly the addition of Zorko caused them to reshuffle and out he went.
I thought it was that guy Green who played the same role as Banfield.

You could be right. I know Green had a ripper in the NAB cup final and probably earned brownie points for the season. They also had that Berwick or whatever too. Then Zorko played mid and forward.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #77 on: December 02, 2013, 11:29:13 PM »
Banfield happy to land at Tigerland
richmondfc.com.au 
December 2, 2013

“Richmond have lost two small forwards, so I suppose it opens doors for myself and, hopefully, it works out for the best,” he said.

“I’m happy to see what I can do down there.”

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-12-02/banfield-happy-to-land-at-tigerland

Rampstar

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »
Banfield happy to land at Tigerland
richmondfc.com.au 
December 2, 2013

“Richmond have lost two small forwards, so I suppose it opens doors for myself and, hopefully, it works out for the best,” he said.

“I’m happy to see what I can do down there.”

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-12-02/banfield-happy-to-land-at-tigerland

I have some hope that Banfield will become a decent player for us he has pace so that gives him an opportunity. Banfield is a cheaper option than keeping Nahas and I consider Banfield a better player.

the claw

« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2013, 10:52:52 PM »
we all have hope, yes even me. isnt that the problem though. we continue to take players on hope rather than properly asesing them.

how hard is it to target players based on
1/ performance over the journey. hmm he fails.

2/ type.  a forward and nothing more  fail.

3/ skills bloody hell why why why.  geez short sml players with no skills with no consistent performance  and find no bloody ball  :o :o :o :o :o but bloody hell hes quick  ::) ::) ::). oh ffs why do i bother.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2013, 12:00:58 AM »
The Snore...

:sleep

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2013, 10:17:26 AM »
we all have hope, yes even me. isnt that the problem though. we continue to take players on hope rather than properly asesing them.

how hard is it to target players based on
1/ performance over the journey. hmm he fails.

2/ type.  a forward and nothing more  fail.

3/ skills bloody hell why why why.  geez short sml players with no skills with no consistent performance  and find no bloody ball  :o :o :o :o :o but bloody hell hes quick  ::) ::) ::). oh ffs why do i bother.
Give it a break claw. We get the gist!
Come back to this topic in 12 months and either tell us that you told us so or apologize for getting it wrong.  In the end they are the only two options you'll have!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2013, 11:11:54 AM »
we all have hope, yes even me. isnt that the problem though. we continue to take players on hope rather than properly  asesing them.

But the above is only your opinion and in all honesty that is your view but that doesn't make it right or factual. That's the point here

You are basically saying that the RFC footy department, whether that be the list management committee, the full time recruiters etc do not spend not one minute on assessing players. That is simply not true

The fact that they don't select the players you want doesn't mean they are wrong, nor does it mean they are not putting the time or effort into assessing. I would argue that based on the data they have, the time spent watching these players they would know a helluva lot more than you or me.

To suggest otherwise is simply ridiculous. Clearly you don't agree with their "hows" & "whys" and that's fine it is your opinion.   

You are entitled to an opinion as we all are but to continually suggest that the club isn't assessing players and making decisions based on a criteria, the Club's criteria is wrong.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2013, 04:32:13 PM »
Couldn't agree more WP.  The recruiters definitely look at many many players and have all sorts of criteria that they take into account.

It is the problem with the "Moneyball" approach.  We are trying to find gems from other peoples discards/unloved/unappreciated stocks.

Blair Hartley and the recruiting team are doing a more than fair job.

When Maric, Houli, Grigg were recruited - they were pretty much on the fringe at their previous clubs.  I know people like to bag a couple of these guys, but in my opinion all 3 have held their own and improved our team.  All 3 have polled in the top 5 from memory in our b&f.

As for Banfield - he is a cheap rookie option. Not everyone can kick 27 goals in a season.  He did it with Brown and Fev in that 2010 Lions fwd line.

His highlights look good and he doesn't mind to tackle average 3.5 over his 53 games (only slightly behind Nahas tackle average).

Hopefully he has a better attitude than Nahas did last year.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2013, 12:14:44 PM »
Richo talking about us picking up Banfield:

"He played some good games at Brisbane. I like him in the forward 50. Those sort of players are crucial now.  You have to have those guys inside your forward 50, who can get up the ground and come back. Every gun team has two or three of those little fellas inside forward 50.  Look at Fremantle, look at Geelong, you need them. I think one area where we can get better is in the crumbing and small forward area. Nothing against Kingy and Shane Edwards, who played that role really well, but it’s good to beef up that area because quick, defensive-minded small forwards are so important now."

Hear and read more at:
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-12-18/talking-tigers-2013-christmas-special
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-12-20/richo-tips-banfield-boost-for-tigers

gerkin greg

« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »
hit the bongs hard in retirement hey cho?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2013, 08:38:38 PM »
Pretty shrewd pick up by the tigers , runs like a quarter horse and can seriously kick a goal too just quietly  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

the claw

« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »
we all have hope, yes even me. isnt that the problem though. we continue to take players on hope rather than properly  asesing them.

But the above is only your opinion and in all honesty that is your view but that doesn't make it right or factual. That's the point here

You are basically saying that the RFC footy department, whether that be the list management committee, the full time recruiters etc do not spend not one minute on assessing players. That is simply not true

The fact that they don't select the players you want doesn't mean they are wrong, nor does it mean they are not putting the time or effort into assessing. I would argue that based on the data they have, the time spent watching these players they would know a helluva lot more than you or me.

To suggest otherwise is simply ridiculous. Clearly you don't agree with their "hows" & "whys" and that's fine it is your opinion.   

You are entitled to an opinion as we all are but to continually suggest that the club isn't assessing players and making decisions based on a criteria, the Club's criteria is wrong.
so wp how does banfield rate over the journey.  poorly is the fact.  i would not have thought it was debateable. its right there for all to see.

to date hes a forward and nothing else. there is nothing to suggest otherwise in his history at brisbane.

to date his skills for a smal have been poor. the club is happy to ram down our throat the premise that they only take good kicks as a selection priority and then regualrly do the opposite.

to finish all im asking is what criteria are they setting. it cant be based on performance,  skills, or genuine needs because they have ignored them, yes i reckon im very entitled to question the processes they are going thru. if they claim to be doing due process they are imo doing something wrong.
i know they took him because he has pace geez he actually ticks a box. he may be a replacement for white to date hes a poor mans matt white and imo white had to go.

we in effect took a bloke who whos basically nothing but a  23yo 6th yr small forward  whos played 53 games and the majority have been poor. this goes with poor kicking skills, did we take him for his skills nope. . he has an inability to find enough ball he goes at less than 10 possesions a game, did we take him for his ball winning ability?? nope.   and for an almost exclusive forward he goes at just 1 goal a game did we take him for his goal kicking prowess ???? nope. . we did this after loading up with sml and medium sized forwards so did we take him to meet a list need????? nope.
of course they should be questioned. every single thing they do should be put under a microscope.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2013, 10:52:01 PM »
so wp how does banfield rate over the journey.  poorly is the fact.  i would not have thought it was debateable. its right there for all to see.

I wasn't talking about Banfield. Never mentioned him. You don't agree worth his selection and I have no problem with that

But....l

You made a sweeping statement  saying the club "continues to take players on hope rather than properly assessing them"

I was simply replying to that saying that you were stating it as some sort of fact when it was only your opinion based more so on them not selecting players you approved of. It's your opinion and as I said  you are entitled to

I have no problem with you or anyone questioning them but to suggest that don't have a criteria when they select players is I will repeat ridiculous. They have clearly, the fact you don't agree with it doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

That was the point of my post, nothing more; nothing less

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

gerkin greg

« Reply #89 on: December 21, 2013, 12:12:39 AM »
Yeah but what's the point