Author Topic: Anthony Miles [merged]  (Read 154641 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Anthony Miles [merged]
« Reply #540 on: July 27, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »
If Maric and Hampson were both injured, like they were for Orren's single game this year, I'd have been happy to just play Vickery and Griffiths instead and have Miles promoted instead of Big O. I've seen enough from both of them to think they're decent enough to play second ruck, and sufficient to cover all duties for a game or two.

Essendon managed for a couple of games with just Daniher and Carlisle doing the ruckwork. Don't see why we couldn't do the same.

Miles sooner would have been nice.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #541 on: July 27, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »
Another example of young players not be trusted by hardwick. pee poor.

the claw

« Reply #542 on: July 27, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
The thing is Claw, we didn't have to promote Stephenson until we needed him and that would only have been if Hampson or Vickery went down with a long term injury - we could have waited with him on an 'as needs' basis.  Taking the other 2 - Thomas and Miles - would have given us more options and versatility from round 1 and that's the part of it all that frustrated the crap out of me.  Stephenson only had a role if another ruck went down, the others had very real potential for roles from the start.
disagree. the club went and got hampson so vickery could permanently play fwd.that is the structure they wanted.  two permanent kpfs and a resting ruckman. i think this is the correct way to go structure wise.personel wise wel ive had more than my say on vickery and griffiths. ffs they shopped griffiths around last yr that was what they thought of him.
we are talking about the start of yr here that was when these decisions were made.
besides there was no way i would want vickery playing first ruck most certainly more so at the start of the yr.
at the start of the yr did anyone at all want to see vickery or griffiths holding down first ruck, if anyone says yes id say they were liars or a part of a very small group.

imagine if hamspud got a 4 or 5 week injury week one or two   we cant promote anyone because the spots are filled up by two mids. vickery and griffiths were not options and imo still arent.
if mampson got hurt early on in the piece there was only one option and that was orren.

as i said its all fine in hindsight but at the time there was good logic and decent reasons to go the way they went. i criticse as much as anyone but sometimes they are blamed wrongly. i dont think they did too much wrong in this case and in the time period we are talking about.

tony_montana

« Reply #543 on: July 27, 2014, 08:27:40 PM »
That structure didn't last long - and early on Griff was offering a bit in the ruck - not hard for Vickery and griff to cover for a few weeks, doesn't matter if they wanted vickery as a permanent KPF, sometimes you have to roll with the punches.

Sme of us saw that clearly Miles was a cut above and was a ready made afl player, this is not hindsight, I and many others were ropable at the decision(or lack of) and stand by it now.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #544 on: July 28, 2014, 08:01:07 AM »
The thing is Claw, we didn't have to promote Stephenson until we needed him and that would only have been if Hampson or Vickery went down with a long term injury - we could have waited with him on an 'as needs' basis.  Taking the other 2 - Thomas and Miles - would have given us more options and versatility from round 1 and that's the part of it all that frustrated the crap out of me.  Stephenson only had a role if another ruck went down, the others had very real potential for roles from the start.
disagree. the club went and got hampson so vickery could permanently play fwd.that is the structure they wanted.  two permanent kpfs and a resting ruckman. i think this is the correct way to go structure wise.personel wise wel ive had more than my say on vickery and griffiths. ffs they shopped griffiths around last yr that was what they thought of him.
we are talking about the start of yr here that was when these decisions were made.
besides there was no way i would want vickery playing first ruck most certainly more so at the start of the yr.
at the start of the yr did anyone at all want to see vickery or griffiths holding down first ruck, if anyone says yes id say they were liars or a part of a very small group.

imagine if hamspud got a 4 or 5 week injury week one or two   we cant promote anyone because the spots are filled up by two mids. vickery and griffiths were not options and imo still arent.
if mampson got hurt early on in the piece there was only one option and that was orren.

as i said its all fine in hindsight but at the time there was good logic and decent reasons to go the way they went. i criticse as much as anyone but sometimes they are blamed wrongly. i dont think they did too much wrong in this case and in the time period we are talking about.

I don't agree with you Claw.  If they wanted the structure you speak of then Hampson and Stephenson would have been playing together in Round 1.  They didn't so that can't have been the reason.  And if Hampson had gone down for a few weeks then Stephenson could have been promoted by placing Maric on the LTI because the club knew at the time he was going to be out for an extended period.  P-poor planning in my opinion and it wasn't just hindsight speaking because many on here could see it as the wrong call right from the start.  They just got it plain wrong.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #545 on: July 28, 2014, 08:08:07 AM »

orren and hampson are options

vickery and griffiths are not....

ok mate

Plop
PLOP
plop

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #546 on: July 28, 2014, 01:43:37 PM »
From Mark Robinson's 'the tackle' article ....

Here's a topic for the week, who would u take head to head. The million dollar man Tom Scully or the 50k man Anthony Miles?

3. Anthony Miles. Interesting question. One is predominantly a runner who doesn’t get it enough and the other is tireless in pursuit of the ball and averages about 25 disposals in his seven games. I’d take Miles. He has more influence on games than Scully. His numbers against the Eagles were 21 touches, a game-high 15 of them were contested, six tackles and nine clearances. He’s given the Tigers more intensity in the middle, which has helped relieve the demands on Cotchin and Martin.

http://www.news.com.au/national/the-tackle-herald-sun-chief-football-writer-mark-robinson-nominates-his-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-18/story-e6frfkp9-1227003842942

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #547 on: July 28, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
Regardless of Miles all I can say is thank god we didnt get scully, barely worth a second round draft pcik

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #548 on: July 28, 2014, 04:42:54 PM »
reckon just about everyone in this thread has lost true perspective at some stage.

we had just come off finals . we had openly stated we wanted mature players in the team and younger blokes were going to have to really earn their spot.
tuck had retired, people remember him dont they, a real big unit 189cm/90kg  not overly quick ball winner. i dont growl because we promoted thomas who had a decent pre season as well,he was a like for like replacement. it made sense. in many ways he too had earned his spot.while i dont and didnt agree with promoting thomas instead of miles i dont look upon it as a huge mistake and understand the good reasons why they went that way.
its not as if there were no good reasons for promoting thomas.

we then had our best ruckman not available and instead of promoting miles we promoted stephenson. once again the logic behind this move is not and was not wrong, so again they had some good reasons as to why they did this.
my gripe here is a little different to most others id say. that is in promoting orren we have failed to play him. imo it seems he has done more than enough in the twos to get games.

imo where they have gone wrong is not finding a way to also promote miles quicker  especially as he kept on tearing it up in games. to make him wait so long when we did have options to promote him earlier was a mistake. for me without hindsight it is probably the only real mistake.

we bag the club over this but looking at an overall picture i ask have they really got these things so badly wrong.

imo both thomas and miles deserve their chances others may disagree on thomas.
i can hear the abuse even now if we had failed to promote orren, and hampson went down in week one..  as poor as hampson was in most areas he was more than competetive at ruck contests.yep damned if they do damned if they dont with orrens promotion

i think it becomes too easy for all of us to just look at what has transpired,and in the process  lose sight of why we did things 6 months.

as for other things like continually playing under performers,failure to play kids, failure to reward good seconds form well they are things for another time.

I don't think the size really matters, Miles offers us that strong clearance winner in the middle and did so before the start of the season + he offers better skills than Tuck or Thomas have ever given and is certainly a smarter player than Tuck and probably Thomas.

The thing I think that annoyed most people was the fact we could promote Miles earlier (King? was on the LTIL) but we didn't and when we finally did, they still kept him in the VFL for a few weeks.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #549 on: July 28, 2014, 04:48:49 PM »
I like how he just got his poo together and was ready to play..

The team should do the same thing
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #550 on: July 28, 2014, 05:18:01 PM »
I remember when Michael Barlow was rookies to Freo and he became a walk up member of their starting 18.
It was this type of recruiting that I recall thinking seemed non existent at Richmond.
My hope is that Miles becomes our version - effectively a ready to go mid that doesn't require money or a top 5 draft pick.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

the claw

« Reply #551 on: July 28, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »
reckon just about everyone in this thread has lost true perspective at some stage.

we had just come off finals . we had openly stated we wanted mature players in the team and younger blokes were going to have to really earn their spot.
tuck had retired, people remember him dont they, a real big unit 189cm/90kg  not overly quick ball winner. i dont growl because we promoted thomas who had a decent pre season as well,he was a like for like replacement. it made sense. in many ways he too had earned his spot.while i dont and didnt agree with promoting thomas instead of miles i dont look upon it as a huge mistake and understand the good reasons why they went that way.
its not as if there were no good reasons for promoting thomas.

we then had our best ruckman not available and instead of promoting miles we promoted stephenson. once again the logic behind this move is not and was not wrong, so again they had some good reasons as to why they did this.
my gripe here is a little different to most others id say. that is in promoting orren we have failed to play him. imo it seems he has done more than enough in the twos to get games.

imo where they have gone wrong is not finding a way to also promote miles quicker  especially as he kept on tearing it up in games. to make him wait so long when we did have options to promote him earlier was a mistake. for me without hindsight it is probably the only real mistake.

we bag the club over this but looking at an overall picture i ask have they really got these things so badly wrong.

imo both thomas and miles deserve their chances others may disagree on thomas.
i can hear the abuse even now if we had failed to promote orren, and hampson went down in week one..  as poor as hampson was in most areas he was more than competetive at ruck contests.yep damned if they do damned if they dont with orrens promotion

i think it becomes too easy for all of us to just look at what has transpired,and in the process  lose sight of why we did things 6 months.

as for other things like continually playing under performers,failure to play kids, failure to reward good seconds form well they are things for another time.

I don't think the size really matters, Miles offers us that strong clearance winner in the middle and did so before the start of the season + he offers better skills than Tuck or Thomas have ever given and is certainly a smarter player than Tuck and probably Thomas.

The thing I think that annoyed most people was the fact we could promote Miles earlier (King? was on the LTIL) but we didn't and when we finally did, they still kept him in the VFL for a few weeks.
as far as size goes i reckon miles is the exception rather than the norm when it comes to the role he playys.
ive already stated that we failed to promote and play miles quick enough. all im saying is before a ball was bounced there was some pretty good reasons why thomas got promoted and orren as well.
it was not my sort of scenario ffs i was against taking thomas at all and wanted us to draft a young ruckman like darcy cameron instead of keeping orren.we didnt do that type of thing.
 so the thing is at the start of the yr maric was gone and hampson another i did not want and ffs hampson was uinproven and i said it at the time was the only real viable ruck option we had. it was clear we had to cover our bases and promote orren.again im taklking start of yr not now with hindsight.

we promoted the mature thomas instead of miles again not what i wanted but ffs they had good reasons for it.

i agree what they got wrong was failing to place maric on the ltil or and promote miles or even promote miles as soon as king got hurt.
i reckon people are so disgruntled with the club and whats has transpired, me included im as peeed of as anyone, they are purely takloking in nhindsight.
you know i didnt see too many disagree with keeping orren or only take one kid, most defefended the thomas selection as well.
fact is both thomas and miles earnt a promotion  they took the senior bloke maybe because they thought vhe would give more. they kept orren and promoted him when ivan went down because they were concerned about our ruck options with out him and rightly so.
you lot can bag em anything and everything, me i will bag em only when i think they deserve it which by the way is pretty regular.

the claw

« Reply #552 on: July 28, 2014, 09:02:53 PM »

orren and hampson are options

vickery and griffiths are not....

ok mate

Plop
PLOP
plop
are you an imbecile. orren and hampson were options at the start of the yr. how old are you that you cant grasp a simple time frame.
ypuir talking to the bloke who just about single handedly voiced continually his displeasure at taking hampson and keeping orren in the off season.
as bad as they are as footballers as ruckmen they are miles in front of the two pea hearts you adore.

as first ruckmen vickery and griffiths are very much duds.so far as footballers they are worse. the only reason you defend them is because they are younger. you dont seem capable of grasping the very simple fact of just because your younger you arent better or can even play. both  have done so little to date to warrant even being mnentionmed as ruckmen in the same breath as orren at least.

plop plop plop is very appropriate when it comes to griffiths and vickery.  in fact it sums up more than half the list. as long as these hacks are there we will not target tall fwds and we will pay a severe price.
why do our \supporters kid themselves so much

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #553 on: July 28, 2014, 09:11:20 PM »
Mate Hampson is a spud and Loren debuted at 30

They are miles ahead o anything

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #554 on: August 08, 2014, 11:09:11 PM »
How good is this guy, what a pick up, has turned our midfield around and will only get better from here.