Author Topic: Anthony Miles [merged]  (Read 144376 times)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
Re: Super-fit Anthony Miles has a Tiger in his tank ...... (Border Mail)
« Reply #780 on: January 29, 2015, 06:11:45 PM »
Ahh memories. Here is my Tiger training Jumper from back when we were sponsored by ESSO.

poo box
What???

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #781 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:50 PM »
Ahh memories. Here is my Tiger training Jumper from back when we were sponsored by ESSO.

I had that exact top. Awesome. 8)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Anthony Miles [merged]
« Reply #782 on: January 30, 2015, 12:42:33 AM »
Not just based on you Claw. I have seen Chocco get the credit multiple times and usually it's the people who have a tendency to bag the club

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #783 on: January 30, 2015, 06:50:51 AM »
Not just based on you Claw. I have seen Chocco get the credit multiple times and usually it's the people who have a tendency to bag the club

Listen up Pal, stop bagging posters. That's my job
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #784 on: January 30, 2015, 01:26:34 PM »
I wasn't bagging them, FACT!

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #785 on: January 31, 2015, 12:16:11 AM »
$126 for Brownlow at betstar.........

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #786 on: January 31, 2015, 08:34:46 AM »
$126 for Brownlow at betstar.........

Geez that's some enticing odds right there!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #787 on: January 31, 2015, 09:00:47 AM »
If the odds are $120 when the probability is 50/1 then you are still equally flushing money down the crapper
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #788 on: February 01, 2015, 07:44:15 PM »
That is awesome Tiga, that and the poster is taking me back lol
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #789 on: February 01, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »

poo box
What???
one of the worst richmond training jumpers
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
What makes AFL players succeed at a new club? / Age article about Anthony Miles
« Reply #790 on: February 07, 2015, 03:09:14 AM »
What makes AFL players succeed at a new club

Larissa Nicholson
        The Age
         February 7, 2015

Anthony Miles went from delisted wannabe to rising star in 2014.

And there will be plenty of rookies and low-level trades in preseason training who want to be the next Miles, the one-time also-ran who bloomed when given a second chance.

The midfielder's career took off when he made his debut for the Tigers in round 12 after two years floundering at Greater Western Sydney, but recruiting is an inaccurate science.

Club officials must guess at any number of factors that might be holding a player back - a lack of opportunity or unrecognised talent, a bad attitude, injury or a poor club fit – before offering him another chance at making it big in the AFL.

As assistant professor in sport and exercise psychology at the University of Canberra, Richard Keegan studies what helps sportspeople reach their potential.

When athletes perform at their best, it's effortless, instinctual, and thoughtless in the best possible way.

That kind of clear-headedness - when the body takes over - is the ideal for high performance,  Keegan said.

Club culture, the relationship between player and coach, and team cohesion are all important, because when one of those elements goes wrong the athlete can become self-conscious and doubt their decisions.

They are also some of the reasons why an athlete may struggle for a game at one club, then turn into a champion at the next.

Club culture is about attitudes, whether the aim is to win at all costs or the focus is on continual improvement.

On average, more sportspeople thrive in an environment focused on improvement, but there are some who flourish under brutal circumstances, when they are pushed to prove themselves every few days and are in constant competition with their teammates.

The relationship between player and coach is also important.  Are they trying to do the same thing? Do they act in a way that is complementary to each other?  Do they like each other?

Too often, Keegan said, communication between coach and player breaks down.

A sportsperson might assume everything is going fine when really the coach is unhappy with their approach, and that makes it hard for the athlete to get the right opportunities to prove himself.

It can often be a mistake for a coach to talk at his or her players, rather than allowing the sportsperson in on the discussion.

Very few circumstances actually require top-down leadership from a coach.

"It's a cultural norm we have, the person in charge should be in charge, rather than offering some control or autonomy to the players and letting them work it out," Keegan said.

The problem is some players will then find at crucial moments of the game they are wondering what the coach would want them to do, rather than trusting their gut.

Finally, there is the slippery matter of team cohesion.

Going on trips together can help a group of players feel like a team, Keegan said, but it is far more important to recruit people who have a similar approach to the job at hand.

Some athletes may live club life with the attitude that they are there simply to perform, others want the team to be good mates, and both outlooks can work so long as the players are on the same page.

Keegan said the "one-per centers" can add up in professional sport, including how well players can predict what their teammate is going to do next.

"Feeling you don't fit in will get you analysing and thinking, and that's conducive of good playing," he said.

Former champion turned commentator Garry Lyon labelled GWS' decision to drop Miles "a massive mistake", but Miles is more circumspect.

Miles said the Sydney club had recruited a lot of talented young players, which made it hard for him to break into the regular playing group.

Moving to the proud old club of Richmond made him realise he was not doing enough to make the most of his talent.

Assistant coach Mark Williams took him aside when he arrived at Punt Road and told to him to act like a part of the group, not like a rookie, and Miles said watching older, highly experienced players training was the extra push he needed to step up.

Miles has no regrets about his time at GWS and no complaints about how he was treated at the club.

But a combination of new opportunities and personal growth helped his career take off when he joined the Tigers.

For some players, just  deciding to move on to a new club can be empowering, Keegan said.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/what-makes-afl-players-succeed-at-a-new-club-20150206-13501y.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #791 on: March 03, 2015, 11:39:59 PM »
Miles' press conference ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-03-01/miles-press-conference-1st-march

* I think I still had some deficiencies in my game. I feel I’m running a lot better this year and I think the main thing for me was to continue to work on what put me in good stead last year as well – being clean below my knees and things like that. So just continue to work on those and hopefully that puts me in good stead come Round 1.

* I was reasonably happy [with how he performed against the Dogs]. It was a bit of a different look in the midfield without Cotchy and Dusty, so I suppose I felt I had to step up a little bit. It’s just always good to get the first pre-season game out of the way and get a game under my belt.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-03-03/no-shortcuts-for-miles

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #792 on: March 04, 2015, 07:01:01 PM »
Miles is such a jet. A fair dinkum gift from the Gods. Finally we jagged a genuine player.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #793 on: March 14, 2015, 05:13:56 AM »
Anthony Miles’ evolution just amazing: Jake King

By Brent Godde
Border Mail
March 4, 2015

RECENTLY retired Richmond tough-nut Jake King has paid tribute to Howlong’s Anthony Miles for his stunning transformation from delisted wannabe to rising star last season.

The former Spider, North Albury Hopper and Murray Bushranger, 23, had been delisted by Greater Western Sydney after the 2013 season.

But after breaking into Richmond’s team to play North Melbourne in round 12, Miles finished the season as one of the AFL’s leading clearance players.

King, who will speak at Corryong Football Netball Club’s sportsman night next Friday, said Miles had grabbed his AFL lifeline with both hands.

“I guess when Milesey was at GWS it was one of those things that where it had recruited so many of the same players he never really got his opportunity,” King said.

“He arrived at Richmond, got his opportunity and grabbed it with both hands.

“Since getting his opportunity he has really performed and added some class and pace into the midfield.

“He ability to win the contested ball was something also something the Tigers really needed.

“It just really goes to show if you want something bad enough, the door gets open.

“Once the door opens it is in your own destiny to keep the door open and go forward — and that’s what he’s done.

“A lot of people could take a leaf out of his book.”

King said he had been keeping busy since his retirement in July after 107 games, pursuing business interests.

He has also recently gone into business with Port Adelaide forward Jay Schulz and fitness coach Darren Burgess.

The trio have opened their own gym called The Final Goal.

The tenacious Tiger was spending this week in Bali, exploring the opportunity of opening another gym in Seminyak.

He will also work for Triple M Footy this season as well as speaking at sportmans nights.

King said the challenge for Richmond this season was to win a final after the Tigers last year made successive finals series for the first time in almost 40 years.

“For Richmond to make finals for the past two years is a step forward and they get a pat on the back,” he said.

“But I guess for improvement every supporter wants to see their club take than next step.

“So if you looking for improvement from Richmond, then reality is they have to win a final.

“Because if they don’t then it will be looked upon as a failed season.

“But I’m pretty confident they can win a final and have got the playing group there now to take that next step.

“They have had a good pre-season, have got a fit and healthy list and no excuses not to perform.”

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/2921184/anthony-miles-evolution-just-amazing-jake-king/?cs=2375

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #794 on: March 14, 2015, 05:16:47 AM »
Miles interview:

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2015-03-13/miles-homecoming

* It’s no hidden secret that if you can get through 80 or 90% of pre-season, you put yourself in good stead for the upcoming season. For me, that was the focus – getting through most sessions and improving on a few deficiencies I had. Fortunately enough, I’m injury free and got through most of the pre-season.

* I know it’s pretty clichéd, but I just want to play my role. I still haven’t consolidated my spot in the side. For me, it’s to play every game this year, play my role and hopefully get this club back to where it should be – playing consistent finals footy.

Full article: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-03-13/miles-happy-homecoming