Author Topic: Anthony Miles [merged]  (Read 144290 times)

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Anthony Miles [merged]
« Reply #750 on: January 25, 2015, 10:35:27 AM »
So, how's about that Anthony Miles? And how did the coaching staff prove themselves to be completely incompetent by keeping him out of the firsts for so long?

Personally Dooks I still can't believe it, on the rare times a particularly astute poster mentions it, my draw drops open in disbelief and I say to myself htf could that happen

How did what happen? :gobdrop

Well Dwaino apparently Miles wasn't promoted until midway through last season

Like seriously wtf is going on at tiger land

dwaino

« Reply #751 on: January 25, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »
I won't believe that finnypoohink unless there are cold hard facts.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #752 on: January 25, 2015, 10:44:54 AM »
Oh yes, it happened alright. You can take my humble word as fact.

I don't like it, and I have the right to say it  >:(
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Rookie pick 27 - Anthony Miles
« Reply #753 on: January 25, 2015, 01:33:00 PM »

25 Anthony Miles

Height    179 cm
Weight    78 kg
DOB    28-02-1992
Debut    2012

Games
2013    3
Career    10

Goals
2013    1
Career    1

Junior Clubs: North Albury (NSW)
Recruited from: Murray U18

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anthony Miles is an inside midfielder from Howlong near Albury and is hailed as a natural leader having captained NSW/ACT at both the NAB Under”16 and Under”18 Championships.

In 2009 Miles played 13 matches as a bottom aged player for the Murray Bushrangers in the TAC Cup, and in 2010 he played 11 matches to average an elite 27 disposals and 12 contested possessions per match.

In both seasons he was runner”up in the Bushrangers best and fairest and in 2010 was selected in the TAC Cup Team of the Year.

At the 2009 NAB Under”18 Championships he averaged 13 disposals and five-contested possessions while in 2010 his averages of 30 disposals and 13 contested possessions were both ranked number one.

These efforts saw him selected in the 2010 NAB AFL U18 All”Australian team.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Anthony Miles made his AFL debut in Round 4 against Adelaide, collecting 15 disposals and eight marks on debut.

The tough midfielder played seven games in his first season in the AFL with an impressive average of 18.3 disposals and 4.9 marks.

Miles’ most exciting display in his first season was against Fremantle in Round 17 when he amassed 27 disposals and took six marks.

Miles also showed a lot of promise with a number of best on ground performances in the NEAFL in 2012.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/player-profile/anthony-miles#sthash.10DYestR.dpuf
just reading  bits of this thread thought id bring this back up. why did gws let the soon to be 22yo  go.  obviously the above says why what with so many early picks on their list.
he didnt do a lot wrong to be delisted but his two yrs at gws were not enough for him to be kept over all the #1 picks.

very good junior pedigree hence they took him as a zone selection.

on weather we thought we had a player as good as hes been  when we took miles id say not.
id say williams had a hand in us giving him a shot just a feeling. . we took him with our 2nd rookie pick taking the mature todd banfield before him.
i give credit to the club though they we all hope we end up with a decent player when we take rookies knowing most will go to the scrap heap after a yr or two.

on weather we should have promoted him at the start of last yr. with a lot of hindsight definately yes.
but this is not something the club got wrong imo. there was very good reasons for promoting both stephenson and thomas at the start of the yr.

i mean maric was injured griffiths had done even less than he did last yr, vickery has never at any stage shown he could play well enough in the ruck imo. lose hamspud and orren was a must. we may not agree  with what they did.  but agree or not we can see the reasons why and those reasons were sound. imo we made a mistake in not playing stephenson more but thats hindsight.

thomas over miles again there were some very good reasons. they both had good pre seasons. thomas was a big bodied experienced player who replaced the loss of tuck another big bodied experienced player. unlike most on here while recognising he had games with far to many turnovers i thought thomas was servicable as an inside mid winning contested ball and clearances. its just a shame he turned it over so muchat times.. fair dinkum id play thomas in front of a bloke like grigg he will at least crack in and is actually very good at getting his hands on the ball first.

any way i digress.without hindsight  i think the mistake we made with miles is we had a chance to promote him at rnd 8 or 9 and failed to do so despite the outstanding performances in the magoos.absolutely unforgivable for a club trying to change its culture not to reward a player who regularly tore it up in the twos while many were spudding it up in the ones.
to me it sent two messages.
1/ no matter what you do you wont be rewarded.
2/ no worries lads your safe no matter how poor you perform. this sort of thing has plagued the club foralmost  as long as i can remember.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #754 on: January 25, 2015, 11:32:15 PM »
Claw Coniglio, Shiel, Greene, Treloar, Scully, sumner, Ward happened making Miles the victim of a wealth of riches. High draft pics get priority pure and simple. I watched Miles play from day one and in the limited time he had he looked like a good honest player but the others at the time we offering more.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #755 on: January 26, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »
The info I heard from his cousin back in 2012 that Sheedy was the issue. Team rule at GWS was if you played one week you were picked the next to encourage confidence and belief.

In one match in 2012 Miles played on Ablett and kept him to his lowest tally for the year (23 pos.) while collecting 20 pos. himself. Miles was inexplicably dropped for the next game for one of the favourite boys.

Sheedy seemed to play his favourites which resulted him alienating Miles.

Maybe that's where Hardwick picked up the trait while playing under Sheedy.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #756 on: January 26, 2015, 06:18:37 PM »
Maybe, but then again maybe not

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #757 on: January 26, 2015, 09:20:13 PM »
I am just glad Blair Hartley saw something in Miles that a lot of clubs didn't.
He's picked up some ordinary scraps but this guy is a diamond in the rough.
Rarely have I seen someone at Richmond with that innate ability to hunt the football so well.
We get him in the midfield from the opening round and i can't bloody wait!

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #758 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:42 PM »
It was a massive fluke. We took Banfields over him ffs
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #759 on: January 27, 2015, 08:30:58 AM »

How many other clubs overlooked him

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #760 on: January 27, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »

How many other clubs overlooked him

That was also a fluke. ::)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #761 on: January 27, 2015, 07:18:49 PM »
Let's face it, the club doesn't know what it's doing and fell on its feet with this one.

Enough said.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #762 on: January 27, 2015, 08:11:41 PM »
I am just glad Blair Hartley saw something in Miles that a lot of clubs didn't.
He's picked up some ordinary scraps but this guy is a diamond in the rough.
Rarely have I seen someone at Richmond with that innate ability to hunt the football so well.
We get him in the midfield from the opening round and i can't bloody wait!
could be totally wrong but my money is on mark williams alerting the club to this kids potential.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #763 on: January 28, 2015, 07:53:07 AM »
could be totally wrong but my money is on mark williams alerting the club to this kids potential.

Possibly (or not) but there would be string of players at all clubs that get alerted to by somebody.
Do we blame others for alerting towards the duds that are selected by the list manager?
Ultimately they are the ones responsible for who they select on draft day and Hartley deserves credit for this one.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #764 on: January 28, 2015, 12:58:05 PM »
Something bad happens at the club = blame Richardson, Hardwick, Jackson or Hartley
Something good happens = It was all Chocco