Author Topic: Hardwick interview Jan 24 - 2014 expectations / Dusty the defender (afl site)  (Read 4755 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
i think a big part of this debate comes down to how important you see the half back line the whole scheme of things.

I think some people still have an outdated image of a defender as some dour type who has the sole job of stopping their opponent.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

gerkin greg

some people have that outdated image Alligator, others know the value of good half backs, but those with a clue in either camp know that dusty at half back is shizen and he should be onball or forward  :thumbsup

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
yeah we all know after a couple of practice games and one game where everyone who played crapola.

Ok, based on one or two games, we dont play dusty at half back as part of the rotations. that means blokes like jackson, the chip chimp and thomas are accross half back while dusty is forward twiddling his thumbs because the opposition press is keeping the ball in their forward half.

notice how no one has complained about how useless cotchin is across half back with his dinky little up and under kicks trying to slice open the oppositions press?

yet up forward he is almost as damaging as martin, while martin could be infinitely more damaging with his long penetrating kicks that cotch will ever be at half back.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
You said the Blues have not stuffed around any players with their set up.

That is just pure BS as Yarren and Gibbs have played mid, forward and back.

Why do you have so much trouble understanding what you have posted?

They were on the ball , that's why they were forward back and mid. The play a role, they haven't been completely shifted into a new position or role...

Wake up Geoff!

No they weren't, are you actually watching their games or just the highlight reels

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
I can see where you're coming from Al, but from what I've seen he looks lost in the backline. Was so much more damaging forward of the centre the other night.
I just think he's a naturally attacking player, like Jack.
Lids plays the backline well. No qualms dropping him back there when needed. I don't think it's for Dust tho.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Any of the brain surgeons think he is still better in the backline??????

Absolute match winner this kid!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
who ever said he was better in the backline?

Is that what you actually believe or do think that by making stuff it give you cred?

How good was it early in the last watching us struggle to clear the ball from half back and Martin twiddling his thumbs deep in the forward line?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Any of the brain surgeons think he is still better in the backline??????

Absolute match winner this kid!!

Loved a passage of play in backline where we chipped the ball around and it ended up in Martins hands and he pulled the pin and hit someone up just outside fifty just to get the ball back and dob one for himself
Doesn't matter where he plays he's a star

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Loved a passage of play in backline where we chipped the ball around and it ended up in Martins hands and he pulled the pin and hit someone up just outside fifty just to get the ball back and dob one for himself
Doesn't matter where he plays he's a star

Exactly - great point

It's actually that sort of play that makes the idea of playing him off the backline at times a massive bonus.

Said it before if they get him to use his strengths and his team mates play to those strengths when he's rebounding off HB then the benefits are huge
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

dwaino

get him to use his strengths and his team mates play to those strengths

In dungeons and dragons circles we call this 'min/maxing'

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Middle and forward! Leave him there.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

the claw

serious question here. just how much time did he spend down back, seems to me watching from 4ooo k away very little.
i actually thought his output was a little down but what was most pleasing was he won a fair bit of c/p for once.
just on the h/b thingy.
we dont have an abundance quality mids but we do have an abundance of decent h/b options. i think we cut our noses off to spite our face when we play him back.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
serious question here. just how much time did he spend down back, seems to me watching from 4ooo k away very little.
i actually thought his output was a little down but what was most pleasing was he won a fair bit of c/p for once.
just on the h/b thingy.
we dont have an abundance quality mids but we do have an abundance of decent h/b options. i think we cut our noses off to spite our face when we play him back.

You're right he doesn't spend much time back he's thrown around the ground to provide flexibility which some people can't seem to grasp.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Middle and forward for me.

Match winner.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
just on the h/b thingy.

You're right he doesn't spend much time back he's thrown around the ground to provide flexibility which some people can't seem to grasp.
Well after the round 1 calamity he barely played there this game. Hardly earth-shattering stuff.