Author Topic: Hardwick interview Jan 24 - 2014 expectations / Dusty the defender (afl site)  (Read 4932 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tiger on the move: Dusty the defender

Nathan Schmook 
afl.com.au
January 24, 2014

RICHMOND is preparing Dustin Martin for a possible role in the backline this season as the club looks to capitalise on his versatility under new interchange restrictions.

Martin, who has kicked 79 goals in the past three seasons and averaged 23 possessions, has developed into an offensive weapon in the midfield and forward line.

However, coach Damien Hardwick said the Tigers wanted to explore his attacking traits across half-back, with the 22-year-old training with the club's defenders this summer.

"He's shown the ability to play forward and through the midfield … probably the one area we haven't really tinkered with a little bit is his ability to play down back," Hardwick told AFL.com.au.

"That's something we're looking at this year. He's a very capable player at creating scores.

"If we can get the ball in his hands through that half-back zone, it's a very damaging scoring zone, so we feel as if we'll certainly score from that."

Hardwick said versatility would become even more important for midfielders in 2014 with interchange rotations capped at 120.

Defender Alex Rance said the Tigers had successfully used midfielders Brett Deledio and Trent Cotchin in the backline at times, and he was confident Martin would make the transition if required.

"He's trained really well there this pre-season so I'd love to see him down there because he's an amazing kick and decision-maker," Rance said.

"I think it's just getting that defensive element into his game and just getting good decision-makers with the ball.

"I think a lot of clubs are going through that sort of process now of having good decision-makers coming out of the backline … Hawthorn have got Sam Mitchell."

In attack, the Tigers will again focus on being unpredictable, according to Hardwick, with Jack Riewoldt in line to play a number of different roles.

The two-time Coleman medallist kicked 58 goals last season – his lowest return since 2009 – but was hailed for his unselfish play and ability to set up goals.

"We're looking to constantly challenge the opposition with our forward set-up, so Jack at stages will be deep, he'll certainly be up the ground and he might play some various other roles for us," Hardwick said. 

"You look at a lot of forward lines - they're very flexible these days, and that's probably what we're after and got a little bit last year."

The Tigers forward line will be made more flexible by the recruitment of former Carlton big man Shaun Hampson, who has enjoyed a faultless pre-season.

Hardwick said the 25-year-old would not only add marking power in attack, but would allow ruck partner Ivan Maric to rotate forward and Ty Vickery to play as a permanent goalkicker.

"Those taller players we're very excited about," Hardwick said. 

"We feel as though we can develop [Vickery] as a forward and he's capable of kicking 60 goals a year, which is exciting for us.

"Last year he obviously played 30-40 per cent through the ruck and he plays that role really well.

"Ivan is another player who, through the middle of the ground he's great, but he's also got the capability of marking the ball and kicking goals."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-01-24/dusty-the-defender

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Hardwick's expectations / Dusty the defender (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 06:44:30 PM »
VIDEO: Hardwick interview discussing his expectations for 2014 ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-01-24/hardwicks-expectations
http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-01-24/tigers-search-for-youth-lift

* We’re probably looking for (players from) the draft three years ago to step up - the Reece Conca draft. We’re really looking forward to getting those players in, and even last year’s second and third round picks – guys like Matthew McDonough, Kamdyn McIntosh and Liam McBean. We’re really excited about how those guys are going to perform. The great thing is it’s certainly putting pressure on the players up front, which is always a good place to be.

* We’re not setting a ceiling, but we’re certainly setting a floor.  We are like 17 other clubs who are looking to play finals again. The important thing for us is to get our group focussed on that early part of the season.  The final eight rarely changes after about round 12 or 13. We’ve got to make sure we’re in the eight at the start of the year, and continue to win games.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Are you stuffing kidding me, Martin in the backline, is it April fools already??

FFS, here we go again, the RFC manual on how to stuff up a perfectly good player.

He is a mid/forward attacking machine, I just don't believe it....

We forum people, do not turn Dusty into the new whipping boy when he doesn't perform week after week...

We have enough attacking backmen FFS!

:banghead :banghead :banghead
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

dwaino

Off season. Everything with a grain of salt.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Off season. Everything with a grain of salt.

Well I hope so but we stuffed up Griff and nearly Deledio by doing this, chopping and changing them.

It's like trying to tame a great white to act like a poodle, just let the great White do what it does best... ;D

Do the Hawks, Pies, Swans or Dockers stuff with their best players and their positions??

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
hawthorn have hodge and, it seems, mitchell of half back.
just out of curiosity, who are the plethora of attacking backmen we have?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
hawthorn have hodge and, it seems, mitchell of half back.
just out of curiosity, who are the plethora of attacking backmen we have?

"Plethora"???? al, I said "enough"... Hardwick has Houli, Conca, Vlastuin, all have been used there as well as Newman, Ellis, Batch (when he can be bothered performing). He still uses Deledio, Dea, Petterd and we have Grimes, Rance and Morris who all get the ball forward.

Why don't we put Arnott at FF..... :whistle

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
newman played further up the ground and is on his last legs.
dea has not cemented a place in the side and will prolly be gone if he doesnt this year. his disposal is hardly what you want for an attacking backman. he is more a defender first.
pettard again is not damaging with his disposal
conca plays mainly as midfielder and lacks that long penetrating kick.
vlastuin is going through a similar learning phase as conca did down back with the view of playing midfield more often
ellis played more on the wing, and will probably continue to do so.
grimes, perhaps, when he is on the park, but while not bad with his disposal, doesent have that long penetrating kick you want from half back.
rance, well again doent have topline disosal.
morris, mainly plays a lock down role, but has been told to be more attacking, so that could change.
delideo has played more in the midfield of recent times, but i actually think he plays his best footy of half back.
so unless he goes back to half back we only have houli who plays that role regularly, and when he was out injured last season, we missed that drive he gives off half back.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I will agree with Dea and Newman but I have just about watched all the replays from last year and those players were used down back a lot.

I just think Martin would be completely wasted down there in comparison to where he plays now..

"Rucks:

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
control half back and you control the game. the more i think about this the more i like it. a bloke with martins ability to win his own ball and then kick accurately 60 meters becomes a real weapon across half back.
I don't think he will play there predominately, long term anyway, but it gives another string to his bow.if it works it will mean we have one of the most dynamic players in the comp, who can provide the springboard for attack from half back, win plenty off ball in the middle, or go forward and kick goals.

surely that versatility has to be better for the team, and a nightmare for opposition coaches?

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
control half back and you control the game. the more i think about this the more i like it. a bloke with martins ability to win his own ball and then kick accurately 60 meters becomes a real weapon across half back.
I don't think he will play there predominately, long term anyway, but it gives another string to his bow.if it works it will mean we have one of the most dynamic players in the comp, who can provide the springboard for attack from half back, win plenty off ball in the middle, or go forward and kick goals.

surely that versatility has to be better for the team, and a nightmare for opposition coaches?

Fair points al, I would hate to see him left there though, particularly if we start losing games, I can see his value there on certain occasions and during certain games. But the positive of this move could quite easily turn into a negative.....the team mix would have to be right and be used effectively against certain teams.

"Rucks:

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Agree

And they won't play him there all the time,

And if it helps with building his tank then that's another win
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

1980 I Was There

Dusty in the backline, why not. This kid will smash the crap out of the opposition.
Bring it on!

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I agree with WAT, Dusty is a proven goal kicking mid - if you want a play maker down back then put Lids back there
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Think it's more of a case that he will rotate through there at stages rather than make it is permanent role like a Morris or Houli. He may swap with Vlaustin or Lids or Newman during the game to rest him and keep our midfield fresh. This way they can move him forward or back depending on matchups. Could be a clever move because, at the very least, Dusty needs more work on his defensive pressure