Author Topic: Are you content with our year to date in light of recent wins?  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Are you content with our year to date in light of recent wins?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 04:08:20 PM »
CUB, you are one of the better posters on this forum and you have 100% nailed it on this thread topic  :thumbsup
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 07:46:46 PM »
And let this fact not be overlooked, when the team was slumping the coach had no answers.

By all accounts it took the ruckman to turn the bus around.

Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2014, 07:56:33 PM »
NO!

3-10, 7/8 matches lost.

Means nothing, season was over the Melbourne loss. Mentally shot after the Bulldogs loss.

These wins only keep Petterd, Edwards, Grigg, Newman on the list including our coaches.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2014, 08:21:27 PM »
NO!

3-10, 7/8 matches lost.

Means nothing, season was over the Melbourne loss. Mentally shot after the Bulldogs loss.

These wins only keep Petterd, Edwards, Grigg, Newman on the list including our coaches.

Petterd has been one of our best players in this second half of the year. I never rated him but credit where credit is due. He's playing well. Edwards is our X-Factor and one of our best players. Grigg and Newman - I agree with you. Retire or trade.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2014, 09:30:07 PM »
No given our easy draw we should have a minimum of 14 wins thus far based on recent form.

Club is in denial as per usual.

tony_montana

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 09:50:14 PM »
people have spoken, the majority agree its a NO!

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2014, 10:01:31 PM »
So should the club now get rid of the players? Coach? Admin? Recruiters?

With everyone so unhappy should we make wholesale changes?

It seems to me that while the first half of the season was fair from acceptable, we learned from our mistakes and actually grown stronger from the experience. I think last year the club was happy to be winning but really didn't have a real idea the key components why. They now know.

The leaders have learned to lead - a first for our club. They are now demanding of each other and making each player accountable.

The biggest positive from a half year of negatives is that they have emerged stronger as a playing group. So why I am not content with this year, it has not been a wasted year by a long stretch imo  :thumbsup

tony_montana

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2014, 10:28:57 PM »
That remains to be seen stripes...

how can you be so confident when in the past I have seen us at this very juncture several times since the mid 90's and every single time, instead of striving to get better with good old fashioned hard work and some tough list management decisions we go into cruise mode bc we get a false sense of security and think natural progression will get us there.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2014, 10:41:07 PM »
No, I am still at a loss at how really awful we were at the start of the year.
Can never forgive them that game against Melbourne, we wont make finals and dont deserve too on that alone.

That said had a ball the last 6 weeks and not just because we're winning but te way we are playing.
Just hope to god they learnt a lesson that burns deep into next year and we are ready to go round 1.

I dont expect miracles and sure we will have dropouts along the way, but once again that sheight put up earlier this year UNACCEPTABLE.

Still hoping  :pray

:gotigers

:clapping :bow :clapping

Nail on the head
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 10:57:08 PM »

how can you be so confident when in the past I have seen us at this very juncture several times since the mid 90's and every single time, instead of striving to get better with good old fashioned hard work and some tough list management decisions we go into cruise mode bc we get a false sense of security and think natural progression will get us there.

The reason I have such optimism is it the first time I have seen or heard this group galvanize. Before that I have always heard how quite we are as a team or how introverted players are. I can't remember the last time we really had a leader or leaders who dragged the team along and demanded success. It has always been leaders who lead through 'on-field example' (ie code for playing well themselves and 'inspiring' others) rather than by directing their teams mates on and off the field. We have seemed to have turned a corner this half year as a playing group and I think we have finally begun building the foundations of a culture that we drive us towards the flag.

I think this year we did have a false sense of security and expected that it would happen through, as you say, natural progression. This time though, instead of hiding and hoping the blame and workload would be turned elsewhere (the coach usually), the leaders and playing group are demanding more of each other and have unified.

Perhaps I am too forgiving and positive but this is the difference for me.

tony_montana

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 10:31:02 AM »

The reason I have such optimism is it the first time I have seen or heard this group galvanize. Before that I have always heard how quite we are as a team or how introverted players are. I can't remember the last time we really had a leader or leaders who dragged the team along and demanded success. It has always been leaders who lead through 'on-field example' (ie code for playing well themselves and 'inspiring' others) rather than by directing their teams mates on and off the field. We have seemed to have turned a corner this half year as a playing group and I think we have finally begun building the foundations of a culture that we drive us towards the flag.

I think this year we did have a false sense of security and expected that it would happen through, as you say, natural progression. This time though, instead of hiding and hoping the blame and workload would be turned elsewhere (the coach usually), the leaders and playing group are demanding more of each other and have unified.

and fair enough, we all want and hope the same - but for mine its a case of the boy who cried wolf, have heard it all before. Will wait to see if they walk the walk next season

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 11:56:43 AM »

and fair enough, we all want and hope the same - but for mine its a case of the boy who cried wolf, have heard it all before. Will wait to see if they walk the walk next season

:pray :gotigers

In saying everything I have I still don't think we'll make the finals unfortunately but not through lack of effort. I think we will be a strong team again next year though and the playing group will come out firing next year. Injures will be the only unknown quantity.  :thumbsup

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 12:05:14 PM »
So should the club now get rid of the players? Coach? Admin? Recruiters?

With everyone so unhappy should we make wholesale changes?

It seems to me that while the first half of the season was fair from acceptable, we learned from our mistakes and actually grown stronger from the experience. I think last year the club was happy to be winning but really didn't have a real idea the key components why. They now know.

The leaders have learned to lead - a first for our club. They are now demanding of each other and making each player accountable.

The biggest positive from a half year of negatives is that they have emerged stronger as a playing group. So why I am not content with this year, it has not been a wasted year by a long stretch imo  :thumbsup

what is the proof of this?

beating the like of GWS in recent weeks?

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
we learned from our mistakes and actually grown stronger from the experience.

what is the proof of this?

beating the like of GWS in recent weeks?

3-10 now 9-10. That's a fair switch don't you think? Port, West Coast and Bombers were tough games too.

All on the back of improved contested ball and run. Our improvement is all driven from the players demanding more of each other.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 04:00:01 PM »
Interesting poll construction there dooks.

There is one option for no, one for yes and two for undecided. To get a more accurate comparison it should have just been just yes or no as you gave fence sitters too much width.