Author Topic: Are you content with our year to date in light of recent wins?  (Read 2958 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Are you content with our year to date in light of recent wins?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 04:12:48 PM »
9 in a row for 9th.

Get it done Dimmer! :thumbsup

9 for 9 baby!
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2014, 04:56:42 PM »
9 in a row for 9th.

Get it done Dimmer! :thumbsup

9 for 9 baby!

What about we just try and lose every game every year instead of trying to make finals! Then we can get great draft picks that can will never develop or reach their potential continually like Melbourne  :thumbsup

Who cares if we finish 9th as long as we fought the year out rather than fall to pieces. I'd rather rush up the ladder only to fall short finish 9th that be in the 8 all year only miss finals and finish 9th at the end of the season. At leaset you have something to take into the next year.  :cheers

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2014, 04:59:12 PM »
So should the club now get rid of the players? Coach? Admin? Recruiters?

With everyone so unhappy should we make wholesale changes?

It seems to me that while the first half of the season was fair from acceptable, we learned from our mistakes and actually grown stronger from the experience. I think last year the club was happy to be winning but really didn't have a real idea the key components why. They now know.

The leaders have learned to lead - a first for our club. They are now demanding of each other and making each player accountable.

The biggest positive from a half year of negatives is that they have emerged stronger as a playing group. So why I am not content with this year, it has not been a wasted year by a long stretch imo  :thumbsup

The season has been a failure and the playing group showed last year they have the ability to put together a good season.

The responsibility lies with the coaching staff.

I'd like to see Hardwick replaced, but given that won't happen a restructure of the rest of the coaching staff is the minimum I'd be happy with.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2014, 05:13:23 PM »

It seems to me that while the first half of the season was fair from acceptable, we learned from our mistakes and actually grown stronger from the experience. I think last year the club was happy to be winning but really didn't have a real idea the key components why. They now know.

The leaders have learned to lead - a first for our club. They are now demanding of each other and making each player accountable.

The biggest positive from a half year of negatives is that they have emerged stronger as a playing group. So why I am not content with this year, it has not been a wasted year by a long stretch imo  :thumbsup

The season has been a failure and the playing group showed last year they have the ability to put together a good season.

I'd like to see Hardwick replaced, but given that won't happen a restructure of the rest of the coaching staff is the minimum I'd be happy with.

Its only a failure if nothing is learned and nothing has changed from the year. I agree with you though on the coaches - I'd like to see more coaches too.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2014, 05:31:55 PM »

Its only a failure if nothing is learned and nothing has changed from the year.

I don't see how you can say that though.

The minimum standard this year should have been to win a final. To not do that has to be a failure.

Let's not forget the club's goal was to make 3 finals series and have 75k members by the end of this season.

Now either the people running the club have NFI and an unrealistic expectation or the season has been a spectacular failure.

Either way, people should be gone.

Gerks 27/6/11

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2014, 05:48:08 PM »

The minimum standard this year should have been to win a final. To not do that has to be a failure.

Let's not forget the club's goal was to make 3 finals series and have 75k members by the end of this season.

Now either the people running the club have NFI and an unrealistic expectation or the season has been a spectacular failure.

In terms of the club goal of making 3 finals, yep this seasons been a failure. The first half of the season was an utter failure from all involved as far as I'm concerned and I don't care what the reasons or excuses - it was a balls up. But as a season in its entirety, I see we have learned from our mistakes. I see we have turned it around. I see our players have galvanized and unified. I see this 6 game winning steak is on the back of player leadership and expectations. That to me tells me that the second half of the season is an unmitigated success.

Based on the expectations of the start of the year making the top 4, winning a final etc - I have no defense for the club. We failed unquestionably. As to whether the season has been a failure (which I take as a step backwards), I disagree. I think we will be a much better team next year on the back of the lessons we learned from this year.

So I agree with you that this year was a failure in terms of win/loss but I disagree that it is a failure in terms of improvement. Again, just my take.  :cheers

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 06:29:24 PM »
Those who voted yes are less than 1 in 5.

Case closed really
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 06:49:52 PM »

The trouble with most here is that they overestimated how good we really are. We are a middle of the road team. The only thing is we had another soft draw and should have nailed it. Injuries to key players killed us.
If we can make finals from here and learn our lesson I will be happy. Not extatic,  just content.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 08:17:49 PM »

In terms of the club goal of making 3 finals, yep this seasons been a failure. The first half of the season was an utter failure from all involved as far as I'm concerned and I don't care what the reasons or excuses - it was a balls up. But as a season in its entirety, I see we have learned from our mistakes. I see we have turned it around. I see our players have galvanized and unified. I see this 6 game winning steak is on the back of player leadership and expectations. That to me tells me that the second half of the season is an unmitigated success.

Based on the expectations of the start of the year making the top 4, winning a final etc - I have no defense for the club. We failed unquestionably. As to whether the season has been a failure (which I take as a step backwards), I disagree. I think we will be a much better team next year on the back of the lessons we learned from this year.

So I agree with you that this year was a failure in terms of win/loss but I disagree that it is a failure in terms of improvement. Again, just my take.  :cheers

We will probably have to wait until next year to assess your theory unfortunately, but let's hope so.

Case closed really

Users who voted Yes:

D. Hardwick
B. Gale
Whatever our President's name is
Bojangles

Gerks 27/6/11

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »

Case closed really

If life was a popularity contest Dooks we'd all be following Soccer and speaking Mandarin  :P

By the way I didn't vote yes but if it was for the second part of the year I would have  ;D

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 08:36:14 PM »
The clearest sign we will have that we are on the right track is when we start beating the cats.   :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

the claw

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2014, 09:14:24 PM »
at the end of last yr i was pretty  adamant that we must stay in rebuild mode by cutting reasonably heavy and continuing to take a good share of kids. i argued we were a middling side despite having just played in a final.

ffs have we improved on last yr??  have players been better no freakin way?? . we have gone backwards despite some face saving wins against mainly ordinary or badly out of form sides.
and we have done it on the back of the same players who constanly are left holding the can.

miles apart what juniors have come thru and said yep i belong here.

i wasnt content last yr why the heck would i be content this yr when for the greater part of it they have been a rabble.

the current list may well scrape into finals this yr or even next yr. the problem is its just as likely to finish bottom 2 or 4 because far too much is left to far too few to carry the load. far too many if not duds borderline duds who cant sustain any sort of momentum because their deficiencies just wont allow it.
Sometimes you are too pessimistic claw.  Lighten up and enjoy the footy mate. We will not finish bottom 2 next year.
wtf. did i say we would finish bottom 2. i used an analogy thats describes the exact way we have performed.
one thing i always keep in the back of the mind is the likely imporovement of other sides.

look no one can come on here and say in all reality that we dont have to improve pretty dramatically to compete with the big boys.
theres lots of middling sides just like us , the bar really has to raised quite dramatically if we wish to become a REGULAR  competetive beast in the top echelon. mate i can without any hesitation see 30 players turned over in the next 3 or 4 yrs. think about it over 4 yrs that would be just 7.5 players a yr including rookies. i can say this because we have so many who have been around at a minimum 3 or 4  plus yrs and not actually established themselves. people need to stop confusing potential with performance.

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
Would like to pose a question,  if we were missing Lids, Maric and Rance, how many of the last 7 would we have won?Add Miles into the eequation and you can see that  losing a handful of A graders can quickly derail a season. Trying to win races with a V8 running on 4 cylinders is just not going to happen.  Very proud of the way the team has turned it around,  will hold them in good stead for next season whatever happens. Hopefully we can draft well and in addition some of the young players in the magoos can step up next year to provide that depth you need to play regular finals football.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2014, 09:30:06 AM »
Although I wonder about the intentions of TBR posting (sometimes  ;D), it's hard not to think of 2008, 1998 & 1996 when considering 2014 and it's impact on 2015.
We won't really know whether 2014 was "the 9th we had to have" for another season or 2.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2014, 03:14:25 PM »
Although I wonder about the intentions of TBR posting

I'd like to be remembered as a man who put a smile on the face of everyone he met.

Gerks 27/6/11