Author Topic: Jacko has retired  (Read 6530 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Jacko has retired
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2014, 06:43:07 PM »
another glass half full goes. hooray for small mercies i suppose. but wait what will they do in the off season. well most likely go out and get another glass half full.

we applaud mediocrity especially when it retires, but you know what im not being critical of people we have in the main only ever known mediocrity.

He's ten times the man you'll ever be, and a hundred times the Tiger.

Bloke gave 100% to the club which culminated in a B&F.

You're just an idiot.

Is the 2 weeks up yet before claw retires ?  :whistle

Would think a life member and B&F winner announcing his retirement would not be an opportunity to hijack another thread with a mindless rant .
two days  to go i reckon. b ut who knows we have had the wood on port the last couple of yrs.

Either way, I will stand and applaud a Tiger, that despite his limitations, has put his body on the line for over 150 games and contributed in a meaningful manner to the betterment of the club.

That sir, deserves some respect.
good for you
when commenting on him as a player i refuse to sugar coat it just because hes retired. in fact to change ones opinion just because hes retired would be damn superficial imo.

You just dont get it, do you. It is about acknowledging a contribution towards the club not another critique.

Newman seems to be fair game

Yet jacko is not?

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #91 on: September 06, 2014, 07:24:14 PM »
another glass half full goes. hooray for small mercies i suppose. but wait what will they do in the off season. well most likely go out and get another glass half full.

we applaud mediocrity especially when it retires, but you know what im not being critical of people we have in the main only ever known mediocrity.

He's ten times the man you'll ever be, and a hundred times the Tiger.

Bloke gave 100% to the club which culminated in a B&F.

You're just an idiot.

Is the 2 weeks up yet before claw retires ?  :whistle

Would think a life member and B&F winner announcing his retirement would not be an opportunity to hijack another thread with a mindless rant .
two days  to go i reckon. b ut who knows we have had the wood on port the last couple of yrs.

Either way, I will stand and applaud a Tiger, that despite his limitations, has put his body on the line for over 150 games and contributed in a meaningful manner to the betterment of the club.

That sir, deserves some respect.
good for you
when commenting on him as a player i refuse to sugar coat it just because hes retired. in fact to change ones opinion just because hes retired would be damn superficial imo.

You just dont get it, do you. It is about acknowledging a contribution towards the club not another critique.

Yet jacko is not?

I think Newman should have retired last year. The fact that he hasn't even retired this year probably has a lot to do with it.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #92 on: September 06, 2014, 07:35:51 PM »

Yet jacko is not?

It's retirement.

Once you retire you become a great bloke and a great player for the club.

Newman will be a whipping boy all of next year until he retires and then he will be the best clubman the RFC has ever produced.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

the claw

« Reply #93 on: September 06, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »

fair enough. he has clearly been a good servant of the club well respected etc in this im happy to acknowledge him with the rest of you.

it would look very ordinary of me to come on here and applaud him as a player after 10 odd yrs of  criticising his game though.

I agree with you and I reckon if you had said this right from the start you wouldn't have got whacked like you did.   :thumbsup
got whacked?? you mean conform or cop it from the masses who disagree.
lots of double standards around here i at least stay true to  what i think.

the claw

« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2014, 08:38:54 PM »

Yet jacko is not?

It's retirement.

Newman will be a whipping boy all of next year until he retires and then he will be the best clubman the RFC has ever produced.
lol so so true. gotta love the hypocricy. yet those of us who are true to their beliefs are lambasted.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2014, 05:34:05 AM »

Yet jacko is not?

It's retirement.

lol so so true. gotta love the hypocricy. yet those of us who are true to their beliefs are lambasted.

It's not double standards, it's showing some respect. I wasn't a huge fan of Jacko as a player but I'm prepared to put his limitations as a player to one side and acknowledge his contribution to the club.
I'm not sure why this is such a difficult concept to grasp unless you are a narrow minded tosser
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2014, 11:13:37 AM »

fair enough. he has clearly been a good servant of the club well respected etc in this im happy to acknowledge him with the rest of you.

it would look very ordinary of me to come on here and applaud him as a player after 10 odd yrs of  criticising his game though.

I agree with you and I reckon if you had said this right from the start you wouldn't have got whacked like you did.   :thumbsup
got whacked?? you mean conform or cop it from the masses who disagree.
lots of double standards around here i at least stay true to  what i think.

No, I mean got whacked, which you did.  It wasn't about your opinion on Jackson which I agreed with, I was never a Jackson fan but I did give credit to his season last year, but it was about your need to wail in when people were paying respect to his efforts for the club now that he has retired.  Time and place Claw, and you got this one wrong.  And for someone who is always banging on about how you can admit when you are wrong, I think the double standards you allude to are staring you right in the mirror.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2014, 11:57:33 AM »
its funny, over the years we have a constant tirade from claw against average players who milked every last drop of what limited talent they have, yet i cannot recall one critique of a talented footballer who didnt get the best out of themselves.

I know which type i have more respect for. None of us have any say in how much talent we have, but in terms of effort and hardwork to simply be the best they can, everyone is their own master of that destiny.

Ron barrasi once said something about not being proud of how talented you are, but what you achieve with that talent.

Claw perhaps you would enjoy the football more if you didnt have expectations of creating an All Australian quality side -it just doesnt happen. all teams, even the good ones, have average battlers, but with the right players and coaches they fill their role. There have also been some absolute hacks play in premiership winning sides.

Just look at how sharod wellingham has performed going from a top side to a middle of the road side

You would probably also get more enjoyment if you didnt think that your views on how things should be done are the best and only ways. All this does is create the more than apparant angst in you when Richmond doesnt do things your way.

lifes too short......
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2014, 06:18:15 PM »
if you want a positive im happy to go along with good club man most likely a good bloke and someone who gave 100%. but that doesnt make him a good player or his footy career an out standing career.

Doesn't mean it can't be acknowledged either. Don't think anyone has changed there opinion on him but there is no need to criticise him anymore so why bother?

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2014, 06:31:49 PM »
Thanks for the service Jacko. Truely stood up for the players & took the hard knocks with Tucky. Players like you are hard to find & never have long careers. Kicked some rubbish goals also  ;D A very wise choice. Good Luck with your future  :gotigers

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #100 on: September 07, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »
I blame the selfish timing of this announcement for the loss today.

Gerks 27/6/11

Gigantor

« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
Not sure  if you are serious Richo but I find that announcement on the eve of the finals as completely mind blowing

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2014, 06:38:38 PM »
I am.

Gerks 27/6/11

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »

Same - except applied to Newman.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2014, 06:40:06 PM »

Crap he wanted to retire last year. It was no surprise. The captain & coach choosing to go against the wind cost us