Author Topic: Kelvin Moore  (Read 7610 times)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Kelvin Moore
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2004, 05:23:17 PM »
Senior selection a shock for Moore
7 June, 2004
Matt Burgan
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au

When Richmond youngster Kelvin Moore received a phone call from senior coach Danny Frawley informing him that he was set to make his AFL debut against the Kangaroos last Saturday night, the emerging defender admitted he was "speechless".

For Moore, the rookie-list player who was honing his craft with the Coburg Tigers, the promotion was quite simply a bolt out of the blue as he had "no idea" he would be making his AFL debut in round 11.

"I was just rapt to get the call-up from ‘Spud’. We had a few players unfortunately go out with injury and I was just rapt to get the call-up and get the opportunity to play," Moore told Sportal after playing his first game.

"It happened pretty quickly. It happened on Wednesday. I got the call in and then Spud called me and said 'You'll be playing', so I was just rapt. I was speechless on the phone and I didn't know what to say. It's an unbelievable feeling."

"I didn't know what to expect, but it was just an unbelievable feeling - just running out there in front of the crowd, but it was just disappointing not to come away with the win."

But unlike many of his contemporaries, Moore had a slightly different path into the AFL, yet his route has enabled him to play at the highest level.

The 20 year-old, who was Richmond's first selection and the third player chosen in the 2002 rookie draft, was plucked straight out of school football from Yarra Valley Grammar in Melbourne's eastern suburbs, rather than the TAC Cup.

"I didn't play for any of the TAC Cup (sides). My Mum was rapt. I said that I'd concentrate on year 12. I was training with Eastern (Ranges) but then gave that away to concentrate on year 12," Moore said.

"Football was always second to school, but I was just rapt to be seen playing for Yarra Valley.

"I just started playing school footy in year 12 and then got on the rookie list for Richmond.

Moore gained a second year on the rookie list after the defender's 2003 season was rocked by osteitis pubis. He played 10 games in the VFL last year, but missed the final eight matches due to the injury.

"Unfortunately, I was out with osteitis pubis for most of last year and then I was lucky enough to get selected on the rookie list again," Moore said.

"I've been going alright this year and just doing my job down back and then I eventually got the call-up.

"I look at it that all the hard work has paid off."

But despite his alternate journey into the AFL, Moore was still widely known among the recruiting fraternity, with several clubs - including Melbourne, the team he followed as a youngster - sounding him out.

"After the (2002 National AFL) draft - I wasn't expecting anything in the draft - but then I got the call-up from Melbourne and did a bit of pre-season with them and then they said they were going to take me. But then Richmond rang me the night before (the rookie draft) and said 'We'll take you with our first pick'," Moore said.

"(From) other clubs there was (some interest), but not (from) Richmond - I hadn't heard from them until the night before.

"My hope was Melbourne, because I barracked for Melbourne growing up, so I knew the familiar faces down there."

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=153673
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2004, 06:47:57 PM »
Tigers to see more of Kel
3:03:00 PM Thu 10 June, 2004
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Richmond’s Director of Football, Greg Miller, believes promising, young defender, Kelvin Moore, made the ideal AFL debut last weekend from a long-term perspective.

Moore, 19, was rushed into the Tigers’ side for the clash with the Kangaroos after being elevated from the Club’s rookie list to the senior list when Kyle Archibald was placed on the long-term injury list.

He was quite impressive early, showing plenty of poise under pressure, before sheer weight of possessions by the Roos after half-time wore him (and his backline teammates) down.

Miller, however, feels Moore will learn plenty from his first-up appearance at the game’s highest level.

“I thought in the first half he was excellent,” Miller said.

“After half-time, he got blown away by a bigger, stronger player in Leigh Brown. But it was a fantastic education for Kel in that he would have realised from the game that, at 86kg, he’s going to need to put on quite a few kilos to match it with the big, key forwards.

“He’s got the speed, he’s got the courage and he’s got the football nous. Physically, however, he was undersized against Leigh Brown.

“I’m sure he learned so much though, and when he goes into the off-season break, he’ll know exactly why he’s doing the weights and why he has to work on the things he has to work on.”

Miller is confident Moore has the attitude necessary to ensure he takes the next step in his league football career.

“I reckon he will respond well. He’s got the right manner with the way he goes about his football and you’d imagine that he’ll take on board what he’s learnt, and put it into practice.

“To be able to give him the games he’s going to get now this season, is going to stand him in great stead for next year and beyond,” Miller said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=154249
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2004, 02:02:49 PM »
Moore proves the system works
10:13:19 AM Thu 22 July, 2004
Paul Gough
Sportal/exclusive to afl.com.au

Richmond youngster Kelvin Moore is living proof the much-vaunted TAC Cup is not the only pathway for youngsters in Victoria to fulfill their AFL dream.

In an era in which it seems virtually every young Victorian drafted each year comes from the prestigious under 18 competition, Moore has proved youngsters can still make it into the AFL through the "side door."

The 20-year-old, who has been most impressive in playing five of the last six games in the seniors for Richmond, walked out on TAC Cup side Eastern Ranges in 2002 but fulfilled his dream of making into the AFL by being selected as a rookie later that season.

And despite missing the second half of last season with oestetis pubis, Moore was retained on the Tigers' rookie list this season after impressing in his few appearances last year for Coburg in the VFL.

Now the 190cm youngster looks to have a long future ahead of him at "Tigerland" given his ability to play in a key position at either end of the ground.

So it is little wonder that Moore was chosen to talk to this year's TAC Cup hopefuls about how to handle the disappointment of not getting drafted.

"I did a talk for them on Tuesday and I was telling a lot of the guys that it's not the end of the world if you don’t get picked up in the draft," he said.

"I was just playing school footy (for Yarra Valley Grammar in Ringwood in Melbourne's far outer east)."

"I did a bit of training with Eastern Ranges but I wasn't enjoying that and I ended up just quitting that and concentrating on year 12."

But then an invitation to train at Melbourne in the hope of being picked up as a rookie list player gave Moore hope he might get a second chance at the big time.

"And then the night before the rookie draft I got a call up from Richmond and they said 'we are taking you tomorrow' in the rookie draft."

After impressing for Coburg in the first half of last year and then the first half of this year after recovering from his groin problems, Moore finally got his senior call-up in round 11 against the Kangaroos.

Already he is averaging nearly four marks a game and has quickly made himself part of the Tigers' line-up.

But one thing has been missing so far in his brief senior career - a win - and Moore can hardly wait to belt out the Tigers' famous theme song after a victory.

"To be in a winning Richmond team is a dream and hopefully that first win will come sooner rather than later," he said.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=161564
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd