Author Topic: A lost generation - Why do we nearly always fail after our 1st draft selection?  (Read 6010 times)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Rance wasn't really a second rounder?

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Dougeytherichmondfan

He was an end of first round Priority pick. Interpret that how you will. What's really going to bake your noddle is we traded our next pick; 19, to the dogs for Jordan McMahon. Guess who they took?? #GWSskipper

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Word is we would've taken Scott Selwood at pick 19, not Callum Ward.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Would it be fair to say, that whilst JO-N was a complete debacle the Tiges learnt their lesson with regards to player development and acclimatizing; which is to say that D.Martin may not have been looked after the way he has been if not for the earlier failings with J-ON?

Sorry but I have to ask with regard to JON what are you talking about re "acclimatizing"?

there was no I repeat no issue regaridng him settling into Melb, none at all so I am not sure what you are talking about or alluding too?

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Word is we would've taken Scott Selwood at pick 19, not Callum Ward.

You are 100% correct
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Dougeytherichmondfan

Would it be fair to say, that whilst JO-N was a complete debacle the Tiges learnt their lesson with regards to player development and acclimatizing; which is to say that D.Martin may not have been looked after the way he has been if not for the earlier failings with J-ON?

Sorry but I have to ask with regard to JON what are you talking about re "acclimatizing"?

there was no I repeat no issue regaridng him settling into Melb, none at all so I am not sure what you are talking about or alluding too?

Okay, well I asked the question and you comprehensively answered. Was it unreasonable to query that a Western Australian whom had talent worthy of his high draft pick but never made it in Victoria might have struggled with a lifestyle acclimatization to AFL football? And that maybe the development team have grown since then and given greater credence in acknowledging this as a barrier that needs to be addressed when drafting footballers - hence why they took such care of Martin off field?