Author Topic: Jayden Short [merged]  (Read 171081 times)

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Jayden Short [merged]
« Reply #330 on: June 20, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »
Pay Shorty decent money to keep him.
Move Grigg on.
Offer Houli a 1 year deal on reduced coin.

Funny stuff all this talk.
Houli was arguably the best player in a GF win and half a season later he's surplus.
Some Richmond fans really do get bored when we keep winning.

Righhtio then. How long do you suggest we offer him?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #331 on: June 20, 2018, 11:16:00 AM »
The way I look at it is that at the same stage in his career, Houli was nowhere near as good as Short. So pay Short an amount both he and the club are happy with and if that means they pinch a bit from Houli and Grigg to do it, so be it. We can't afford to lose long term players with Short's talent.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #332 on: June 20, 2018, 11:33:29 AM »
Year by year like every other club does.

Still funny though.
We're on top in both AFL and VFL.  Oh the horror.
We have no debt but the highest membership, attendance and viewership.   What are we to do?
A tall key forward has serious health concerns and he retires early for a better option.    Huge problem.
Our lone back-up ruck is still injured and can only be released to be replaced by multiple junior alternatives.      What a crisis.
We only have two Brownlow medallists in our midfield. We're so shorthanded with only the best couple of midfielders in the VFL as a back stop.     Real concerns.
We only have the best crew of small forwards in the competition with only three or four of the best in the VFL unable to get a game.     Where's our strike power to come from?
Our defence is clearly the best, most cohesive in the AFL and we are forced to replace them, through injury, with Short and Garthwaite where we lose nothing.    The list is so shallow.

Now the only worry is we have one key forward and with that set-up we won a premiership.
We do have however at least three developing options in Moore, Balta and CCJ but we are also a big chance of getting the best tall forward free agent in years in Lynch.

I think I'll just enjoy the ride and stop worrying for now.     

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #333 on: June 20, 2018, 01:38:29 PM »
Move Grigg on.

Houli was arguably the best player in a GF win and half a season later he's surplus.

true sam mitchell agrees

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #334 on: June 20, 2018, 06:13:05 PM »
Year by year like every other club does.

Still funny though.
We're on top in both AFL and VFL.  Oh the horror.
We have no debt but the highest membership, attendance and viewership.   What are we to do?
A tall key forward has serious health concerns and he retires early for a better option.    Huge problem.
Our lone back-up ruck is still injured and can only be released to be replaced by multiple junior alternatives.      What a crisis.
We only have two Brownlow medallists in our midfield. We're so shorthanded with only the best couple of midfielders in the VFL as a back stop.     Real concerns.
We only have the best crew of small forwards in the competition with only three or four of the best in the VFL unable to get a game.     Where's our strike power to come from?
Our defence is clearly the best, most cohesive in the AFL and we are forced to replace them, through injury, with Short and Garthwaite where we lose nothing.    The list is so shallow.

Now the only worry is we have one key forward and with that set-up we won a premiership.
We do have however at least three developing options in Moore, Balta and CCJ but we are also a big chance of getting the best tall forward free agent in years in Lynch.

I think I'll just enjoy the ride and stop worrying for now.     

What’s any of that rambling got to do with a young player with skill and upside not being happy with how much we’re offering him? Are you suggesting we tell him to move on because we have enough talent every where else that we don’t need him?

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #335 on: June 20, 2018, 08:51:10 PM »
Exactly. Short stays and to suggest otherwise is farcical.

Pushing top 5 b&f at the moment if you ask me

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #336 on: June 20, 2018, 08:55:47 PM »
Be very very surprised if we let this guy go

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #337 on: June 20, 2018, 11:36:08 PM »
Move Grigg on.

Yep. Lets freeze the list from last year. Don't touch a thing. Dynasty's are all about respecting role players who lifted for an AFL GF to the point where future jets are moved on when they ask for their money's worth.  :whistle

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #338 on: June 29, 2018, 03:04:53 AM »
After missing out on last year’s drought-breaking premiership, Short has been the most improved player at Punt Road this year, perhaps even one of the most improved players in the competition.

And just like he has done all year, Short gained yardage and used his precise right foot to inflict damage.

He finished with a whopping 722 metres gained — the most on the ground — from 20 disposals, seven inside and kicked two goals in another dominant display that helped Richmond take another scalp en route to September.

“You come to Etihad and you expect the pressure. We knew they were going to come out firing and bring the pressure,” Short said.

“We brought the pressure too and it was a great win. The boys fought hard all night. There were individual efforts, but it was a team effort tonight.”

Source: Herald-Sun website

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #339 on: June 29, 2018, 09:22:00 PM »
Little champ :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #340 on: July 02, 2018, 05:43:38 AM »
After 15 rounds this season, Short is averaging 19.5 disposals, 4.7 rebound-50sand 4.1 marks per game.

He’s ranked second in the competition for metres gained (an average of 495 metres per game), sixth for rebound-50s and 11th for total kicks.

And, as good as he is on the right foot, he’s not exactly shabby on the left, either, as he’s shown several times during matches.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-07-01/the-long-and-short-of-it

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘I want the ball in my hands’: Richmond’s unexpected quarterback Jayden Short

July 2, 2018
Josh Gabelich
FOX SPORTS

JAYDEN Short’s kicking has always been his point of difference.

It was something he honed in the front yard of his Mill Park home growing up, one on his right, the next on his left, over and over again with his Dad.

And it was the main reason Richmond overlooked the question marks on his fitness and plucked him from the Northern Knights as a speculative rookie pick at the end of 2014.

With the 22-year-old emerging as a quarterback that sets up Richmond’s ball movement out of the back half, Short’s potent feet are now one of the Tigers’ biggest assets, making him one of their best value picks in recent times.

Short is averaging a whopping 503.3 metres gained — the 4th most in the AFL — to go with 4.7 rebound 50s (No. 14 in the AFL) and 3 inside 50s from 19.5 disposals.

“I was in the front yard with my old man a fair bit growing up, he sort of said, ‘one left, one right’ and that’s what we did until I got old enough and could tell him I didn’t want to go out the front and kick the ball,” Short told foxsports.com.au after Thursday night’s win over Sydney.

“But as a kid I was never really on the PlayStation or stuff like that. Dad was always having a kick with me.

“I want the ball in my hands. I think my kicking is a strength of mine. If I can get the ball in my hands, break a line and get the ball to my boot that’s what I want to do.”

While Damien Hardwick’s side completed a fairytale finish to last season, Short warmed up as an emergency before sitting in the grandstand to watch the grand final.

If the Tigers find themselves in the same position this September, he doesn’t want to miss out again.

“It is definitely driving me,” he said.

“To see the boys have that success last year — I still played the 16 games — was just amazing.

“It was amazing for the club and to see the boys go through that I still felt a part of it, but I didn’t play so I think if we do find ourselves there this year I don’t want to find myself in a position where I’m not there again.”

Playing in a back six led by the premier backman in the competition Alex Rance, and alongside underrated stars in Dylan Grimes and Nick Vlastuin, Short said those around him fill him with the confidence he needs to take the game on like he does.

“If I’m to make a mistake they are always there to fix it up,” he said. “We’ve got Rancey there who is the best backman in the league and he gives me a lot of confidence, and so do all the other boys as well. It is just a great group to play with and I love playing with them.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/i-want-the-ball-in-my-hands-richmonds-unexpected-quarterback-jayden-short/news-story/b44c687d56f06c06f821d119e77e237b

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #342 on: July 05, 2018, 11:58:30 PM »
Stop reading at "quarterback"..... >:(
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #343 on: July 06, 2018, 07:38:54 AM »
What a gun this guy is.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #344 on: July 06, 2018, 08:02:55 AM »
Stop reading at "quarterback"..... >:(