Author Topic: Kane Lambert retires [merged]  (Read 157800 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Kane Lambert [merged]
« Reply #360 on: August 20, 2017, 11:35:49 PM »
I hope this guy polls a few Charlie's this year. Great story...

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #361 on: August 20, 2017, 11:41:47 PM »
really impressed on how he has asserted himself this year. Just doesn't stop running this guy.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #362 on: August 22, 2017, 05:37:19 PM »
Kane is having some kind of season . He really is a diamond in the rough .

Love this bloke .
Unleash the tornado

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #363 on: August 22, 2017, 05:45:07 PM »
Has been very consistent this year. Deserves a lot of credit. Hope he finishes in the top 6 in the Jack Dyer medal.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #364 on: August 22, 2017, 06:20:41 PM »
Most improved player by a long shot
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #365 on: August 22, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »
Hard to fathom he wasn't selected rd 1
Unleash the tornado

tony_montana

« Reply #366 on: August 22, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
Has been very consistent this year. Deserves a lot of credit. Hope he finishes in the top 6 in the Jack Dyer medal.

I think there is little doubt he'll be in the top 5-6 in the JD medal.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #367 on: August 22, 2017, 09:39:45 PM »
Was always good
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #368 on: August 26, 2017, 09:11:28 PM »
Kane Lambert: Richmond midfielder making most of opportunity

Chris Cavanagh,
Herald Sun
27 August

KANE Lambert was at home alone, preparing for another work day as manager of a gym when his phone rang.

He missed the call, but noticed it was a strange number that had pinged through to voicemail.

Lambert was intrigued, so he punched in “101” to retrieve the message and was surprised to hear the voice of Richmond list manager Blair Hartley. Until then, they had never spoken.

“I called him back and he said, ‘We’re going to take you with one of our first three picks in the rookie draft, we’ll give you a call afterwards’,” Lambert recalled last week.

It was 10 minutes before the 2014 rookie draft and the first time he had heard from anyone at Richmond.

Within hours he was on a plane to Townsville to join the Tigers on a pre-season training camp, his dream of playing AFL suddenly alive.

Lambert had endured years of frustration, crushed hopes and heartbreak.

Overlooked as a teenager in the 2009 national draft, his big break did not come until a 2014 VFL preliminary final for Williamstown, when he had 32 disposals, 17 clearances, 15 inside-50s and kicked four goals in a performance Champion Data rated as worth 169 SuperCoach points.

Williamstown coach Andrew Collins labelled it “arguably the best individual state league game I’ve ever seen in the prelim”.

“We were fielding interest for other players all year yet I knew what a special talent I had with Kane,” Collins said.

“We had to manage him through the year with rehabilitation from an injury (hip surgery) but I finally took off the leash in the finals.”

Until then, two-time North Melbourne premiership coach Denis Pagan thought he had lost the plot.

Pagan coached Lambert at TAC Cup club Northern Knights in 2009 and could not understand why his best-and-fairest winner was on the nose with AFL recruiters.

“Josh Caddy and Dylan Grimes also played in that team ... but nobody wanted to know about Kane Lambert. It was bizarre,” Pagan said.

“I spoke to North Melbourne recruiting people. I sent videos that said he’s a right-footed Anthony Stevens and he’s going to get better. I spoke to St Kilda where a dear friend of mine is and I even spoke to someone at Carlton.

“You’ve got no idea how many times I rang and how many videos I sent to recruiters. You don’t often believe so strongly in somebody, but I did.

“You start to think, ‘Maybe I’m a poor judge’. I was starting to doubt myself when he wasn’t getting a look in.”

After being overlooked, Lambert was crushed and fell out of love with the game. He took a break to decide whether he wanted to play footy again.

Lambert trained away from the track and added 10kg to his frame in the gym, but when he started stacking paint cans in a Preston factory for a living he realised he still wanted to become an AFL footballer.

“I did a lot of soul-searching there. It wasn’t tough work but it was mentally tough,” Lambert said.

“The biggest thing I missed was being part of a club.”

Lambert joined the Northern Bullants — now the Northern Blues — in 2011 and two years later won the club best-and-fairest, was picked in the VFL’s team of the year, finished runner up in the JJ Liston Trophy and won the Fothergill-Round Medal as the VFL’s Rising Star.

“We were hopeful that Carlton would look at him,” Blues general manager Garry O’Sullivan said.

“It would have been great for Kane, great for our club, great for the alignment.

“All the dots were just there to be lined up but in their wisdom they didn’t and that didn’t go down too well with Kane, and then over he went to Williamstown.”

Shoulder and back injuries hampered Lambert’s first year at Richmond in 2015, but this year has played 20 of a possible 21 matches and last Wednesday he signed a two-year contract extension.

He is on track to play his 50th game in Richmond’s first final in a fortnight. But that is far from the front of his mind.

“I’m not here to reach personal milestones, I’m just here to play my role and do everything I can for my teammates,” Lambert said.

Lambert’s junior coach since Auskick George Wakim says the Richmond lifeline was reward for hard work and persistence, two qualities Lambert has never lacked.

“Kane would never miss a training session, never miss a game,” Wakim said.

“He wanted to work, he’d go and do that extra running after training even as a 15-year-old when most kids can’t wait to go home and get on the PlayStation.

“He’s not (Patrick) Dangerfield. He’s not silk and he’s not tall. But I think his X-factor is he never gives up and the fact he got knocked back so many times but eventually got drafted is a real reflection of that.”

Pagan — now working in real estate — still talks to some of those same recruiters who continually ignored his pleas to draft the Richmond onballer.

Not that the 344-game coach brings up Lambert’s name in discussion.

As he says: “I don’t need to talk about it. I was right.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-midfielder-kane-lambert-firing-for-tigers-after-thinking-his-afl-dream-had-passed-him-by/news-story/2d9dbc6c34b4918f7576025d311ea7bf

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #369 on: September 09, 2017, 02:38:10 AM »
Hits the packs at speed

:o

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #370 on: September 09, 2017, 07:12:49 AM »
Excellent game.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #371 on: September 09, 2017, 07:29:45 AM »
Very very good.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #372 on: September 09, 2017, 07:51:07 AM »
He is a ripper  :clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #373 on: September 10, 2017, 02:48:37 AM »
Lambert in all but one of the top 5 hard running categories on Friday night  :thumbsup.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUPER TRACKER
Champion Data’s new SUPER TRACKER uses GPS information to highlight the running power in this year’s AFL finals series.

Here are the top five players in various categories from Friday night’s Geelong v Richmond clash.

Distance covered

Player   Distance
Bachar Houli   14.3km
Sam Menegola   14.2km
Tom Hawkins   14.2km
Kane Lambert   14.1km
Zach Tuohy   14km
The surprise here is key forward Tom Hawkins who worked tirelessly to be a marking target for his teammates.

Distance covered in attack mode
Player   Distance
Kane Lambert   6.3km
Dustin Martin   5.8km
Daniel Rioli   5.8km
Bachar Houli   5.8km
Jason Castagna   5.8km

This is the distance covered by a player when his team has the ball. Not surprisingly it was dominated by Tigers.

Distance covered in defence mode

Player   Distance
Zach Guthrie   6km
Lachie Henderson   6km
Zach Tuohy   5.9km
Sam Menegola   5.7km
Jordan Murdoch   5.6km
In response, it was Geelong players who covered the most territory when their opponents had the footy. The workrate of 19-year-old Zach Guthrie in his first final was commendable.

Distance covered at high speed
Player   Distance
Steven Motlop   3km
Bachar Houli   2.5km
Sam Menegola   2.2km
Jordan Murdoch   2.2km
Kane Lambert   2.2km

This is distance covered while running at 18km/h or faster. Steven Motlop couldn’t be faulted for effort, but unfortunately for the Cats it failed to translate into a strong game from the small forward.

Total sprints

Player   Total
Steven Motlop   25
Nathan Broad   17
Bachar Houli   15
Kane Lambert   14
Daniel Rioli   14

Number of times a player has run at 24km/h or more for at least one second. No shortage of Tiger runners in this lot.

Total repeat sprints
Player   Total
Steven Motlop   5
Nathan Broad   3
Kane Lambert   3
Shane Edwards   3
Jordan Murdoch   2

The number of sprints (24km/h or above) within 60 seconds of each other.

SOURCE: CHAMPION DATA

Herald-Sun website

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #374 on: September 10, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »
Hits the packs at speed

:o

Yeah. He has those roving skills that seem to be largely forgotten these days. In the second Qtr on Friday night he went straight through a pack on the wing, grabbed the footy and was out the other side before anyone knew what had happened. /everybody else near the footy was either flat footed or going the other way.

The best thing was that it looked like it was going to be a Geelong ball until he went through. Just a shame his kick forward wasn't that great.