Author Topic: 2015 Draft thread  (Read 66791 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: 2015 Draft thread / potentially - worst draft ever coming up
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2015, 12:22:17 AM »
Josh Dunkley (son of Swan full-back Andrew Dunkley), who is training with us and loves it down at Punt Rd, is holding off committing to being a Sydney father-son.

Father-son prospect Josh Dunkley yet to decide on Swans

Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
June 28, 2015

Josh Dunkley will continue to play for Gippsland in the TAC Cup, but the AFL Academy has organised an arrangement with Richmond allowing the teenager access to the club's facilities through the week.

He also played a game with the club's VFL team as he built up his match fitness before returning for Vic Country against South Australia on Friday where he had seven disposals and 10 tackles against SA in less than 50 per cent of game time.

Dunkley goes into the club each Monday for the team's recovery session, has a light jog, gets on the bike for 20 minutes and does some weights. He has noticed the difference an elite environment has made.   

"I'm going in there and doing some touch work and I feel like I'm a lot better with control of the footy, and I'm doing weights four times a week. I feel a lot stronger," he said.

"I'm loving every minute of it and the boys at Richmond have taken me in as well which has been a bit of a surprise. It takes a while to get to know guys like Jack Riewoldt, or Shaun Grigg or Dustin Martin, but now it's sort of like they're your friends.

"It's been really good, I've been lucky to have that kind of access which hopefully will benefit me in the long run."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-28/fatherson-prospect-josh-dunkley-yet-to-decide-on-swans

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2015, 11:05:04 AM »
Sounds encouraging  :thumbsup
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
This bloke any good? And word out there? Size etc?

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 06:27:22 PM »
 :clapping

Bout time

Now get an Irish guy that is not rubbish or a mummy boy
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2015, 02:52:25 AM »
2015 draft pool looks shallow but there's talent there to take

Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
July 2, 2015 4:34 PM

THE CONSENSUS among recruiters heading into this year's NAB AFL Under-18 Championships was that the 2015 draft pool was well down on recent years. The hope was that, through the carnival, the best players would go well and more prospects would emerge.

With the six-week, 18-game tournament now complete, all those thoughts proved about right.

The championships showed this isn't the year to rebuild a list through the draft with a stack of picks, because the depth just isn't there. Some clubs will take only one or two live picks and upgrade rookies or re-select delisted players to ensure they meet the minimum of three selections at the draft.

But through some strong, promising and encouraging efforts from a number of other players during the championships, some more talent should be on offer after the opening bunch.

Let's start with the top. A pick in the first round will find a good player, and a pick in the first dozen should be very good. But somewhat unusually, many of the early group will be taller key position prospects this year. Jacob Weitering and Josh Schache are vying for the No.1 selection and either would be deserving.

Behind them, Aaron Francis plays a damaging brand of footy in defence and has shown he can move around up the ground as well.

Injuries have restricted big forwards Sam Weideman, Charlie Curnow and Ryan Burton this year but all shape as possible early picks with healthy medical checks, while Harry McKay gives more and more glimpses of his skill with each game.

Athletic tall forwards who are 200cm are hard to find so he could push up, and the same applies for Eric Hipwood, whose carnival for Queensland saw more people get excited by how he will be able to develop.

Hipwood, tied to the Brisbane Lions via its academy, is one of perhaps seven or eight of the best 25 or so prospects attached to northern clubs.

Ben Keays (Brisbane Lions) won the Harrison Medal as the best player in division two and Jacob Hopper (GWS) wasn't far behind him, while Harrison Himmelberg (GWS) and Matthew Flynn (GWS) also performed consistently for NSW-ACT, who were without key midfielders Callum Mills (Sydney Swans) and Matthew Kennedy (GWS).

The championships helped add some beef to the top group, with a number of players pushing themselves up. From South Australia, Riley Bonner gave consistent run off half-back, Luke Partington dug into countless contests and offered some explosiveness from stoppages, and Wayne Milera's speed and tricks near goal will appeal.

Brayden Hackett was a highlight for Western Australia in a poor carnival, while small Tasmanian midfielder Kieran Lovell could not have done much more for his team across the three games. He finished the carnival averaging 35 disposals (as well as 34 disposals in four TAC Cup games). 

His teammate Mitchell Hibberd looks likely to be the first player from that team drafted, though, with the athletic half-back shaping as a riser up the ranks in the second half of the year. Hibberd, like Himmelberg, is a good example of the AFL's 19-year-old rule working well, with both overlooked at last year's draft due to injury but having this year to go again as overagers. 

The unbeaten Vic Country will provide plenty of draftees, South Australia will produce a few solid players beyond the obvious, and some Western Australian prospects will benefit from tasting senior WAFL footy in the back end of the year. The developing states – Queensland and NSW/ACT – have also got some exciting players to choose.

Despite their last-gasp win in their final game, Vic Metro was a disappointment. The draft generally relies on about 25 per cent of the pool to come from Metro, but the numbers will drop this year, with Harley Balic a top-10 chance and Jade Gresham also doing his stocks no harm in his five games.

They also blooded only a couple of bottom-agers, with Jordan Gallucci the best, meaning next year's group might also not have the depth of previous Metro teams.

On the surface Country will have a good group again next year, with the likes of Ben Ainsworth, Jy Simpkin, Jordan Berry and Will Brodie impressing, while brighter times seem ahead for Western Australia, with Sam Petrevski-Seton, Sam Powell-Pepper and Josh Rotham exciting at stages.

Clubs need to keep an eye on the next crops, particularly with the trading of future draft picks on the horizon. That's why recruiting teams will head with interest to the Gold Coast on Friday ahead of the under-16 championships, which start on Saturday.

They left the corresponding championships two years ago sensing the 2015 draft crop would not be one of the strongest, so what will the first impression of 2017's intake be?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-02/2015-draft-pool-looks-shallow-but-theres-talent-there-to-take

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2015, 02:54:58 AM »
Derek Hine (Collingwood's recruiting manager) reckons up to 7 of this year's top 10 draft picks will be talls. So a couple of decent mids may slide.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2015, 02:22:23 PM »
The Adelaide tall back looks alright
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Beans

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
Josh Dunkley (son of Swan full-back Andrew Dunkley), who is training with us and loves it down at Punt Rd, is holding off committing to being a Sydney father-son.

Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
June 28, 2015

Josh Dunkley will continue to play for Gippsland in the TAC Cup, but the AFL Academy has organised an arrangement with Richmond allowing the teenager access to the club's facilities through the week.

He also played a game with the club's VFL team as he built up his match fitness before returning for Vic Country against South Australia on Friday where he had seven disposals and 10 tackles against SA in less than 50 per cent of game time.

Dunkley goes into the club each Monday for the team's recovery session, has a light jog, gets on the bike for 20 minutes and does some weights. He has noticed the difference an elite environment has made.   

"I'm going in there and doing some touch work and I feel like I'm a lot better with control of the footy, and I'm doing weights four times a week. I feel a lot stronger," he said.

"I'm loving every minute of it and the boys at Richmond have taken me in as well which has been a bit of a surprise. It takes a while to get to know guys like Jack Riewoldt, or Shaun Grigg or Dustin Martin, but now it's sort of like they're your friends.

"It's been really good, I've been lucky to have that kind of access which hopefully will benefit me in the long run."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-06-28/fatherson-prospect-josh-dunkley-yet-to-decide-on-swans
Dunkley rated 10th in the Phantom draft. No chance to come to the Tigers.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-03/2015-draft-phantom-form-guide

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2015, 04:53:41 PM »

Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
June 28, 2015

Hopefully we trade players for high picks

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2015, 08:43:24 PM »
Every year there are hidden jewels......

Look out for the next Fyfe at pick 19 which every team overlooks.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 08:46:41 PM »

Callum Twomey 
afl.com.au
June 28, 2015

Hopefully we trade players for high picks

I just cant see us changing tack. We havent been like that for Dimmas term, I doubt we will change now. Theyve put such effort and games into this list I doubt they see a pick 1-5 worth losing a lids with 250 odd games.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 01:57:06 PM »
We've currently got pick 13 in this year's draft which the Herald-Sun have Harley Balic at in their first round phantom draft.

2015 AFL National Draft: Mock first round featuring best Under 18 talent

Adam Baldwin
    FOX SPORTS
    July 08, 2015 11:44AM

VICTORIA Country provided just 12 draftees in 2014, but it could have five players inside the first ten picks this year.

Country went undefeated through the Under 18 national championships and had eight players selected in the All-Australian team.

Most experts have Country bookends Jacob Weitering and Josh Schache pegged as the first and second picks.

On the flip side Victoria Metro had 25 of its academy players selected last year, but after winning just two games throughout the carnival that number is set to drop.

A weak Victoria Metro region suggests a shallow draft, however another contributing factor is the number of young guns battling injury.

First round chances Callum Mills, Matthew Kennedy, Sam Weideman, Charlie Curnow and Ryan Burton didn’t feature at all through the championships, while Josh Dunkley played only twice.

The national championship has been run and won, but there’s still plenty to play out between now and draft night on November 27.

For this reason, naming a possible first round this far out is thwart with danger as ladder position is set to dictate how it unfolds. There is also the academy bidding system to consider.

With that in mind, here’s how the first round of the 2015 draft might look.

1. JACOB WEITERING

Dandenong Stringrays/Mt Eliza

Height: 195cm

Weight: 90kg

Weitering firmed as a top three selection thanks to outstanding form for the AFL Academy against AFL-listed players in two games against VFL opposition in April. He did nothing throughout the championships to suggest the hype is not justified. Weitering’s strength is his contested marking ability, but his ball distribution is also first class. His ability to intercept mark and then swing on to his right foot and hit a target makes him a dual threat. He was even thrown into the forward line at times, underling his potential as an AFL swingman in the future.

2. JOSH SCHACHE

Murray Bushrangers/Seymour

Height: 199cm

Weight: 96kg

Schache was a standout selection for the Larke medal as the best player in Division 1 with 24 goals in six games. He nailed eight against WA, plus bags of five and six against SA. Schache is strong through the core and is commanding in the air when set. His kicking action is simple, yet very effective. He has a big tank, is mobile for his size and can help out in the ruck when required. He models his game on Travis Cloke.

3. AARON FRANCIS

West Adelaide/Loxton North

Height: 190cm

Weight: 86kg

Francis monstered the opposition at times during the carnival and put his name up in lights with 22 disposals and four goals against WA in SA’s third game. He was used all over the ground during the championships, but looks most at home as a defender. His strength is his ability to intercept the ball and this is what makes him a prospective top pick. He’s grown in confidence over the past 12 months and this shows on the field. He is not yet an elite midfielder at this level and he needs to build his tank. Some question whether he is big enough to be a key defender at AFL level, others insist his leap allows him to play taller than 190cm.

4. CALLUM MILLS

North Shore

Height: 186cm

Weight: 80kg

Mills is a competitive and combative midfielder who has been a part of the Sydney Swans academy program since he was 13 years old. His family’s friendship with Swans chairman Andrew Pridham prompted his switch from rugby union to AFL. He was crowned All-Australian at Under 18 level in 2014, but a shin injury prevented him from captaining NSW/ACT in this year’s carnival. He will play his first game of the season, for the Swans NEAFL side, in the coming weeks. Mills is likely to draw a bid from a rival club, but is almost certain to remain a Swan. He will cost Sydney its first pick, at least.

5. JACOB HOPPER

North Ballarat/Leeton-Whitton

Weight: 82kg

Hopper is a midfield bull, who can go forward and take a strong mark. He skippered NSW/ACT in the championships and is a member of the GWS Giants Academy, but has played for TAC Cup club North Ballarat since boarding at St Patrick’s College. He averaged 26 disposals across three games in the carnival and has kicked 15 goals in six games for the Rebels this year, including a bag of five. Hopper is another who looks certain to be snapped up under the academy bidding system.

6. SAM WEIDEMAN

Eastern Ranges/Vermont

Height: 196cm

Weight: 91kg

The athletic forward with strong AFL bloodlines missed the entire carnival when a previous ankle stress injury flared. He hopes to return to play in the TAC Cup finals series, but may not play again this year. At the front of recruiter’s minds will be a bag of five opposed Dandenong Stringrays and Vic Country defender Kieran Collins. He also kicked two goals and took five marks in a breathtaking first quarter playing against the Northern Blues for the AFL Academy on the MCG. A healthy medical report will make Weideman a draft bargain.

7. DARCY PARISH

Geelong Falcons/Winchelsea

Height: 181cm

Weight: 73kg

Parish missed the first two games of the championships but returned for the third fixture and was consistent throughout the carnival. He was quiet in the home win over SA, but bounced back with his best performance in the final game with 25 disposals and 148 ranking points. He’s quick, plays with bounce and penetrates with his disposal. He was All-Australian in his bottom age year and would be on the wish list of every club. He could easily slide up this board with hot form in the second half of the season.

8. RHYS MATHIESON

Geelong Falcons/Bell Park

Height: 185cm

Weight: 79kg

In his own words, grunt is what Rhys Mathieson brings to the midfield. The Geelong Falcon is a contested footy winning beast, he averaged six clearances for Victoria Country and models his game on Joel Selwood. Mathieson might not be as polished as some of the other midfielders in this list, but he’s the sort of player coaches want in their side. He had another outstanding carnival and is a big reason why Country was undefeated. He’s a winner and plays like one.

9. HARRY McKAY

Warragul/Gippsland Power

Height: 200cm

Weight: 85kg

An athletic tall forward who has shot up the draft board with impressive early season TAC Cup form. In his first season for Gippsland, McKay has kicked 15 goals from seven games, including four against a Dandenong defence boasting Jacob Weitering and Kieran Collins. He enhanced his reputation with a solid championships playing in front of Josh Schache, where he worked between the arcs and impressed with his mobility and agility. He is one of the youngest players eligible for this year’s draft and is considered to have significant upside.

10. MATTHEW KENNEDY

Collingullie-GP

Height: 187cm

Weight: 84kg

A creative goal kicking midfielder who hails from the Riverina area and joined the GWS Giants academy this year. He missed the national championships with a knee injury that is likely to sideline him for the remainder of the season. However, he dominated for the NSW/ACT Rams through five games against TAC Cup opposition earlier this year, averaging 23 disposals. With Kennedy joining Hopper in first round calculations, it presents a delicate situation for the Giants should they wish to retain both players.

11. CALLUM AH CHEE

South Fremantle/Klemscott

Height: 182cm

Weight: 71kg

Ah Chee probably didn’t have the carnival he was hoping for, but for periods he looked every bit the top ten pick. He was used in a variety of roles, but was his best playing in a high half forward position where his speed and smarts creates space. His best game came in the upset win over Vic Metro. He can do the miraculous, but he also tackles, chases and pressures. Importantly, he’s a good decision maker and brings others into the game. He was named best on ground for the AFL Academy against the Northern Blues in April and pulled down a massive mark.

12. RYAN BURTON

North Adelaide/PHOS Camden

Height: 191cm

Weight: 90kg

Burton looked a future first round selection after starring for SA in the national champs and in four senior SANFL games for the Roosters last year. However, he suffered a complicated knee fracture in August last year and has not played since. He’s a skilful lead up forward and clubs will be watching his progress intently when he returns to the field later this season.

13. HARLEY BALIC

Sandringham Dragons/Parkdale

Weight: 80kg

Balic is a junior basketball star who was added to the level two AFL Academy program after his first season of elite underage football with the Sandringham Dragons. He’s moved from the forward into a midfield role this season and models his game on Collingwood’s Scott Pendlebury. He averaged 21 disposals in his first crack at the national championships and was rewarded with All-Australian selection. Balic is a player with enormous upside who could rise up the charts in the second half of the season as his exposure at this level increases.

14. ERIC HIPWOOD

Aspley/Caloundra

Height: 200cm

Weight: 86kg

Hipwood is tall and athletic with amazing agility for his size, but he is still slight. He was used at either end of the ground during the championships, kicking four goals in a quarter against Tasmania before gathering 24 disposals off halfback in the very next match. He is a member of the Brisbane Lions academy and has played five games for the club at NEAFL level this year.

15. LUKE PARTINGTON

Norwood/Tumby Bay

Height: 182cm

Weight: 75kg

Partington is a ball magnet, who most importantly uses the footy well. He was a star for SA in the national championships, averaging 23 disposals on his way to All-Australian selection. He needs to work on his transition running but a debut at senior SANFL level can’t be far away. The SA clubs should have picks around this mark.

16. JOSH DUNKLEY

Sale/Gippsland Power

Height: 189cm

The son of Sydney champ Andrew, Josh Dunkley, overcame a back injury to play the final two games of the carnival for Vic Country. He’s a versatile player, but looks most at home playing across halfback and in the midfield. Dunkley is eligible to join the Swans under the father-son rule, but could yet throw his name in to the draft.

17. DARCY TUCKER

Horsham Saints/North Ballarat Rebels

Height: 184cm

Weight: 78kg

Tucker won All-Australian honours playing off halfback for Vic Country last year, but struggled to recapture the same form when he moved into the midfield early in the championships. However, he finished the carnival strongly and remains highly rated. His strengths will be suited to the modern game. He’s got speed, can break the lines and uses the ball well.

18. BEN KEAYS

Redlands/Morningside

Height: 185cm

Keays is a combative midfielder not blessed with great speed, but he does the little things well. He averaged 33 disposals representing Queensland across four TAC Cup games and won Hunter-Harrison Medal as the Division 2 best player in the national championships, averaging 28 touches and five clearances. He oozes leadership and models his game on Simon Black. Keays is a member of the Brisbane Lions academy, but his future may lay elsewhere depending on the club’s priorities at the end of the year.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-national-draft-mock-first-round-featuring-best-under-18-talent/story-fni5ezdm-1227433453896

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »
Balic looked pretty damn good...also liked that kid who kicked the winner for Metro v SA....Crocker I think his name was...big solid mid with some tricks who tackles well and can take a mark and play up forward. Another good one was Powell- Pepper from WA but I think he's a bottom ager.

Apparently Weideman, despite the Collingwood family connection, is a Richmond supporter.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2015, 05:32:09 PM »
CLUBS have been given the green light to trade future draft picks for the first time this year, but will only be able to use selections from one year in the future.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-06/future-trading-given-goahead-but-with-restrictions

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Callum Twomey: It isn't the strongest draft, and that is a reasonably consistent view among clubs and draft watchers. The part where I think it's at its weakest in comparisons to other years is in the 15-25 range, because generally prospects in that range are really proven types. That might not be as much the case this year, but after that point I think there'll be enough good players for clubs with picks in the third and fourth rounds of the draft.

Vic Country will certainly dominate the draft this year (and after looking at the NAB AFL Academy squads this week we expect that dominance for the next couple of years), but Vic Metro did have 19 players invited to the national draft combine.

http://www.afl.com.au/draft/blog

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2015, 05:48:33 PM »
http://m.richmondfc.com.au/news/2014-12-18/hishams-week-as-a-tiger

Get him. Athletic, good skills, goal sense. Bit of mongrel. Gone under the radar a bit too