Author Topic: Jacob Townsend [merged]  (Read 128274 times)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Jacob Townsend [merged]
« Reply #240 on: February 18, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »
Well there is no better team to test him against then a full strength Freo.

Any of the players that stand out in this game should go on with it..
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #241 on: February 18, 2016, 01:03:12 PM »
Of all our newbies - I'm probably most excited about this bloke. Can't wait to see how he goes in the NAB challenge.

Unleash the tornado

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #242 on: February 18, 2016, 06:11:11 PM »
He's certainly rather agricultural and i have modest expectations but he does seem to kick goals which i like as a mid.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #243 on: February 18, 2016, 07:43:21 PM »
It he can make griggster play Vfl

:bow :bow :bow
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #244 on: February 18, 2016, 08:22:19 PM »
He's certainly rather agricultural and i have modest expectations but he does seem to kick goals which i like as a mid.

He was brought in to add concrete, not silk....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #245 on: February 19, 2016, 09:08:16 PM »
Bleeding from the ear. So how do we think he went?
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #246 on: February 19, 2016, 09:24:12 PM »
Bleeding from the ear. So how do we think he went?

By all accounts he is a bleeder

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2016, 09:49:31 PM »
Only had 11 possies (6 contested, D.E. 72% ) but had an equal high 7 tackles for us.

I'd like to see how Townsend goes when we have our full midfield contingent playing and we can judge him properly. He's been brought in an extra hardnut around the ball to protect and help out Cotch and Miles.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Lozza

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2016, 10:13:16 PM »
Certainly doesn't take a backward step and no doubt will help Cotch and Co. but the coaching staff need to provide some guidance re his stand-over style as giving away stupid free kicks via brain explosions can be momentum killers, Jacko was a master and there was nothing more frustrating to watch.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2016, 10:41:45 PM »
Only had 11 possies (6 contested, D.E. 72% ) but had an equal high 7 tackles for us.

I'd like to see how Townsend goes when we have our full midfield contingent playing and we can judge him properly. He's been brought in an extra hardnut around the ball to protect and help out Cotch and Miles.
Miles doesn't need any help..... :whistle
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #250 on: February 20, 2016, 12:00:58 AM »
He might be a type of player we need, but is anyone convinced he's actually any good?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #251 on: February 20, 2016, 09:42:53 PM »
Thought he just went , will get more chances to prove himself, would need to lift a cog or two to break into the team, interested to see how Moore goes by comparison .....Markov and costagna caught my eye more 
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Protecting Cotchin from tags is new Tiger Townsend's aim (afl site)
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »
Protecting Cotchin from tags is new Tiger Townsend's aim

AFL.com.au
February 27, 2016

HARD-bodied Richmond recruit Jacob Townsend says he is committed to helping Trent Cotchin break tags this season and giving his new captain more freedom to win the ball. 

Cotchin's average disposals have dropped the past three seasons from a career-high 27.5 in 2012, when he finished equal runner-up in the Brownlow Medal behind Jobe Watson.

The skipper was shattered after being held to just nine possessions in last year's elimination final against North Melbourne, with Ben Jacobs tagging him out of the match.   

Townsend, who played 28 games in four seasons with Greater Western Sydney, was targeted by Richmond in last year's trade period to fill an inside midfield role and take some pressure off Cotchin.

"That's going to be my focus coming in to this year, being there to help him break the tag a bit and allow him to play his natural game," Townsend told AFL.com.au. 

"I'm really keen on building that friendship and on-field relationship to help improve his game and my game as well.

"I'll try and take a bit of that inside job off him but, 'Cotch' being 'Cotch', he tries to take more responsibility on himself because of the competitiveness in him.

"He needs to ask for help because your teammates are there to help in a game."

While Townsend has the size and physical game style to help break tags for his teammates, the Tigers have also recognised his pure ball-winning ability after a standout performance in round 23 last year.

The 22-year-old won 22 possessions (11 contested) against Melbourne in a performance that put him firmly on the radar of opposition clubs and had GWS lifting its efforts to re-sign the New South Welshman.   

"GWS was making a play for me as well but I came down here to seek more opportunities," he said.

"If a club comes and seeks out your service, obviously they're pretty keen on you and that made me feel pretty good.

"The Tigers said they were after an inside midfielder and I think I fit that bill."

Richmond has not been renowned for tagging in the past few years and Townsend will bring an ability to play that role when needed.

He has also spoken to his coaches about a secondary role at half-forward, given the interchange cap will be reduced to 90 this season.

The onballer did not start full pre-season training with his new team until after Christmas because of a foot injury, but he has barely missed a session since and said his skinfolds and body composition were at career-best levels.

"The program down here has put me in pretty good stead before the season," he said. 

"I've just got to crack in now and go out there and play my way and hopefully that gets me a game."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-27/protecting-cotchin-from-tags-is-new-tigers-aim

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2016, 07:39:30 PM »
Tackling machine with another 9 tackles today. 3 goal assists as well.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2016, 08:08:18 PM »
He and Moore provided good grunt
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do