Author Topic: Jacob Townsend [merged]  (Read 126981 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jacob Townsend's future hinges on Tom Lynch (afl site)
« Reply #375 on: July 11, 2018, 04:05:45 PM »
The flag Tiger whose future hinges on Lynch

Matt Thompson
afl.com.au
Jul 11, 2018

RICHMOND's September revelation Jacob Townsend is one of many players across the AFL whose future hinges on Gold Coast co-captain Tom Lynch. 

With the Tigers' interest in free agent Lynch well known, fringe players like Townsend will have to wait to learn just how much is left in the pot. 

"For a lot of those players, and I would imagine Jacob included, yeah it is more a conversation at the end of the year," Townsend's manager Scott Lucas told Macquarie Sports Radio on Wednesday morning.   

"Let's not be silly, the phrase at the moment for a lot of clubs, (is) we don't know if we've got a million dollars or no dollars. 

"And Richmond I would say it's fair to suggest would have a strong interest in Tom Lynch, so what they do, and how they manage their books is attached to the decision that Tom will make - as it is for Gold Coast and other clubs that are interested."

Townsend garnered a quick cult-following his standout performance in Richmond's finals campaign last year. 

The former Giant played his first game of the 2017 season in round 22 and kept his spot in the side all the way through to the Grand Final where he kicked two of his total 16 goals. 

Despite having played for the senior side in eight of the first nine games this year, the 25-year-old finds himself stranded in the VFL with spots in the ladder-leading Tigers' 22 hard to come by.

"He is out of contract, he's spent some time in the VFL this year, working on his form," Lucas said.

"I think when he's back in form he'll be back in the team, and they want him in the team, it's just a matter finding his very best form again." 

Lucas remains optimistic a deal for Lynch won't push Townsend out of Punt Road altogether and expects there will be a new contract on the table for his client at the end of the year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-11/the-flag-tiger-whose-future-hinges-on-lynch

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jacob Townsend's future hinges on Tom Lynch (afl site)
« Reply #376 on: September 22, 2018, 08:35:48 PM »
Hearing he will be staying at Tigerland.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Jacob Townsend's future hinges on Tom Lynch (afl site)
« Reply #377 on: September 22, 2018, 08:38:17 PM »
He is not best 22 if we want to improve and go forward has to be replaced only good as depth.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Jacob Townsend [merged]
« Reply #378 on: October 01, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »
'I'm not sure what's going on': Flag Tiger in limbo

Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
Sep 29, 2018

OUT-OF-CONTRACT Richmond forward Jacob Townsend accepts he'll likely have to wait until the end of the Trade Period to know if his future is at Punt Road.

But the 2017 premiership player is optimistic he'll stay a Tiger and has no desire to leave the club despite an up and down season.

"We're talking about it now and I'm not too sure what's going on," Townsend told AFL.com.au.

"There could be a fair few changes with players that come and go, like any other team [has], and I think I'll just have to wait and see who comes before anything is done.

"Being the type of player I am and with my experience, I think it will be at the back end of trade period so I'll have to wait and see."

Townsend, 25, was dropped to the VFL three times this season before he broke his lower left leg in the final VFL game of the year.

The former Giant only played 10 AFL games in 2018 after his remarkable run last season where he broke into the side in round 22 and held his spot to win a premiership medal.

But, while he remains realistic about the business side of the competition and is open to his manager talking to rival clubs about new opportunities, his preference is to remain a Tiger if he can.

"I love Richmond so if there was a deal here I'd probably take it, I love all the boys and it's been pretty well documented how tight we are as a bunch," he said.

"At the end of the day, you have to look after yourself but players are on AFL lists to play AFL footy and boys I'm pretty close mates with might have to change clubs for more opportunities.

"That's just the industry."

Townsend had surgery two days after breaking his lower leg in the first minute of the Tigers' win over Frankston on August 25 when he was tackled by former teammate Jake Batchelor.

"As soon as I did it, I knew it wasn't great," he said.

"My foot got stuck and my leg went the other way, and when I came off my leg was a bit bowed and the doctors weren't sure what was going on but they knew it wasn't good.

"It was the last game, which was a bit of a shame because I didn't know if I was going to come back into the AFL side or not."

He had a plate put over his fibula and his syndesmosis joint wired together, which means he may require another operation down the track if that causes irritation.

In the latest step in his rehabilitation, he shed his moon boot last week and will now focus on strengthening his calf muscle again.

Despite its dramatic nature, Townsend remains confident his injury wasn't as bad as the one that robbed Dan Rioli of half of his season this year.

He also believes he'll be available for round one 2019 - wherever he may be playing - with plans to spend most of his off-season working on the leg.

"The surgeon said I shouldn't miss footy at all, that's the plan anyway," he said.

"From start to finish, it should be about four months and it's been four weeks now, so still a bit to go.

"I'll be in the club a fair bit over the off-season to try and get it right.

"I'll probably miss a few weeks [at the start] of pre-season although we come back on December 5 so I probably won't train before the [Christmas] break again.

"Then I'll be back in full training post that."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-28/im-not-sure-whats-going-on-flag-tiger-in-limbo

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #379 on: October 01, 2018, 08:09:34 AM »
Jacobs pressure is next to none, has opposition looking over their shoulders....Something definately missing in the Prelim
Gotta give him another year at least IMO

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #380 on: October 01, 2018, 08:22:15 AM »
agree.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #381 on: October 01, 2018, 09:27:53 AM »
Jacobs pressure is next to none, has opposition looking over their shoulders....Something definately missing in the Prelim
Gotta give him another year at least IMO

With Lynch joining, we need to keep our options open to see how the dynamic of the forward line will work.

I'd retain him for next season for sure.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #382 on: October 01, 2018, 09:43:26 AM »
Even with a broken leg he would have been better that some against Collingwood.. :lol
Seriously though, I think he would have been a reasonable match up for De Goey?? even giving up 4cm? maybe not big enough though

Would hate to see him leave as his hardness is something I think we lacked at the end of the season
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:10:40 AM by MintOnLamb »

Lebowski

Re: Jacob Townsend [merged]Would keep
« Reply #383 on: October 01, 2018, 12:48:35 PM »
Would keep

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Townsend set to depart Tigers with two teams in the mix: Barrett
« Reply #384 on: October 01, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
Townsend set to depart Tigers with two teams in the mix

AFL Nation
Mon, 1st Oct 2018

NAB AFL Trade Radio journalist Damian Barrett believes premiership Richmond forward Jacob Townsend will be on the move to St Kilda.

Townsend, who’s out of contract at the Tigers, will apparently seek a move elsewhere, looking for greater opportunity.

“Jacob Townsend will be seeking a new footy home, as we’ve known for some time,” Barrett told NAB AFL Trade Radio.

And I’m told it’s St Kilda who is showing the major interest in him.

“There’s a meeting teed up for that to be thrashed out, but there are other clubs interested in him.”

Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd knows of another club keen on Townsend’s services.

“My understanding is the Gold Coast Suns will look to bolster their mid-range players and will look to meet with Townsend, if they haven’t met already.”

AUDIO: https://omny.fm/shows/trade-radio/damian-barrett-on-jacob-townsend/embed?style=artwork

Offline Shammo80

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #385 on: October 01, 2018, 04:31:17 PM »
with lynch coming in where does he get a game from forwards of lynch-jack-caddy 3 big bodies and then the smalls danx2-george-higgo-titch would very hard for him to get a game and was seen this year

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #386 on: October 01, 2018, 04:39:00 PM »
with lynch coming in where does he get a game from forwards of lynch-jack-caddy 3 big bodies and then the smalls danx2-george-higgo-titch would very hard for him to get a game and was seen this year
And Moore might be ahead of him now as well.

Id say if St. Kilda pick him up that McCartin might be on his way to Sydney though.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #387 on: October 01, 2018, 04:59:14 PM »

I know who i would rather trade out of Townsend and Moore.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #388 on: October 01, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »
Barrett on afl website saying today it is a certainty he is leaving Richmond. Shame if it is true.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #389 on: October 01, 2018, 08:33:09 PM »

Id say if St. Kilda pick him up that McCartin might be on his way to Sydney though.

Not sure Moore will be around in 2019

Reckon he will get put up for trade
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)