Author Topic: The wash up - Rate our trade period  (Read 15637 times)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: The wash up - Rate our trade period
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 03:32:24 PM »
Shocked at not going for a ruck or / and key defender

Worrying how highly the club rates some of our players
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »
I can't think of any other reason that your last comment

Dea, Astbury, Conca, Ellis, Griffiths

They must think we have a premiership 22 at punt road
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 03:58:40 PM »
They've thought we have since the end of 2013...only needed Hamspud, Hunt and Yarran to complete the charge to premiership glory...  :gotigers
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline scjhammo

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 04:02:03 PM »
we cant be happy with what we did really when u look at it we knew all along yarran wanted to come to use just a matter of making the deal knowing that we should have still tried to pull off a bigger name yeah we tried to offload Astbury come on really who cares... We have list cloggers that wouldn't get a game at any other afl club, Gordon, Llyold, Hampson, Morris, Dea, pick 12 would want to be a good one as we really have nothing after that

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 04:04:15 PM »
We might get lucky with our second pick but after that it's finger paintings in brown
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 04:31:02 PM »
Positives:
We didn't lose Lennon

Got Yarran without giving up pick 12.

Yarran is also taking a pay cut to play with us (less than 500k pa from what I've heard).

Townsend for peanuts. I think he might play 10 -15 games for us next year, could be the tagger we desperately need.

Didn't lose any of our A graders. Obvious, but remember Rance was still in doubt halfway through this season, Martin also re-signed this season, could have been 2013 all over again.

Negatives:

Missed out on Treloar.

No Ruckman picked.

Couldn't land the "big fish", which the flow on effect of which is, that we signed a lot of our top talent for under market value on the proviso we were going to land a top A grader, which didn't happen. A lot of these guys will either be frustrated at the very least, and may be (should be) asking for more money when their next contracts are up.

Would have liked to see a little more aggression. Conca, Astbury wouldn't have given us much, but I think its time we moved them on. Can't see Conca playing more than a bit role for us, which is always good, but he was our number one pick from 2010 and we should be expecting much more from that investment. Also sends a message.

Overall, agree with Plow's assessment. C-. Barely a pass and not good enough. Disappointing.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 05:02:28 PM »
Richmond was like a desperate Jerry Maguire yelling "SHOW ME THE MONEY!" whilst Bob Sugar got all the big fish, meanwhile we still have to appease a self centred hothead thats only interested in the quan.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 05:10:05 PM »
Yarren will be 100 times better than McMahon Wallace .
That we will have to wait and see.Very similar players in many ways. The  major difference being Yarran,s better foot skills.Both quick both soft outside players who dont have a defensive side to them..
The trade is identical in a way. Both had 7 years at their previous clubs, both utimately cost nd  pick 19. McMahon lasted just two seasons, we had better hope we get a bit more than that this time around.
I still think we paid overs for this bloke,  imo we went and got a bloke who really was and is the least of our needs. We had plenty of options for the role we went and got him for.
 Every where i go i talk about changing the backline and people keep saying why change an area that came top in the league. If that is the case and logic of most why did we then go and get Yarren to play off h/b.
I have long maintained McIntosh should have Batchelors role and a kid like Menadue should be played off h/b. Imo that would straight away increase tenfold our pace and run of h/b and these two blokes will defend.
Personally i hope they run the guts out of Yarran in the off season and we play him on a wing. I would be very tempted to play Houli on the other wing or try him as a fwd for awhile.
Any way i think Wallace is right for once barley a pass.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 07:22:59 PM »
Hard question to answer this one - should revisit in 12 months when we know how Townsend and Yarran work out.

If Yarran produces his best with some consistency, and Townsend becomes the next Miles, then we are the winners for sure.

But they could easily be duds.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 07:43:30 PM »
Think we're going be relying on "natural improvement"  yet again....things like Conca staying injury free and finally showing why he went at pick 6....Hamspud finally learning to play football.....Hardwick finally learning to coach and show faith in young  talent.....the side finally learning how to shepherd, tackle, protect each other, run both ways, demonstrate composure & good decision making under pressure.....on field leaders to stand up when it really matters.....the forward line finally fuctioning as a cohesive unit....not take the first 6 rounds to wake up.. ..yep all that and minimal injuries....should be no problem....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 07:52:54 PM »
Geelong built a premiership dynasty by going to the draft ea year and snow balling an A grade core . that's the model :clapping . we learnt our lesson following 2001 when we went out and got Stafford , houlihan and Hudson that ignoring the A graders by topping up with waste is a fools paradise  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »
i thought u were banned for trolling ?
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Petey

• Bad
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • SgtAA of OER
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 08:06:18 PM »
Stafford is better than any ruckman we have had since Gales prime, hardly waste. this guy must be a troll ??

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 08:13:11 PM »
overall i think we did ok, our Draft is effectively = Draft Yarran Draft Townsend Draft (upgrade) etc

Gigantor

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 08:14:52 PM »
So many of us here point to the frailties of our footballl club,and yes there are many.However I think we sometimes  forget the huge strides we have made the past few years.Firstly it appears we have got our off field act together.In the years to come this will be reflected in the on field as more resources are put into this area.
We have built up a membership base second to none.And these are supporters who are flocking to our games in droves.And who doesnt think that with more on field success this could explode even more.
On field we put together a backline that is one of the most miserly in the league.
we have stabilised our rucks
we have a midfield that does run hot and cold but really in the scheme of things is only just now reaching maturity.
Our forward line does need work theres no  doubt about that..But i want to think that with some more tinkering the upside is huge.
Lets try to solve the faults we have but not highlight them to the point we cloud whats happening that is good