Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 232176 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #345 on: May 28, 2017, 03:29:48 PM »
Another very average game IMO.  4 kicks in 4 quarters.
And another dropped chest mark.

Never mind, he is a Rioli

understand your point but Castagna & Bolton both only had 4 kicks as well...

So I would think to for all 3 you need to look at more than the number of kicks.... if you are just going to base it on kicks then you'd say they were all "very average"

My view is they all played their roles and did well in the key category they appear to be 'graded" on and that's pressure acts & tackles where they all did well

Rioli = 14 & 3
Bolton = 30 & 5
Castagna = 19 & 5

and I'd also raise the idea of "perceived" pressure like they do with Rance, that is how the opposition perceives the pressure coming form the 3 of them

Would love to see them get more of the ball but if F50 defensive pressure and keeping it in there is their main job, they are all doing it and they did last night in spades
So WP, you think Rioli was good last night? What about his last 4 weeks?
He has kicked 1 goal in the last 4 weeks as a small forward, and has averaged less than 2 kicks a quarter, so it is ok to question his output. It doesn't mean he is a dud it just means we should expect more. Dropping chest marks and not know his roll when games get tight isn't any others fault other than his own.
George has outperformed him of late, and I know it doesn't suit everyone's love for a Rioli, it's a fact.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #346 on: May 28, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »
I think seeing the games live gives you a greater appreciation of what Daniel Rioli does.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #347 on: May 28, 2017, 04:00:02 PM »
I think seeing the games live gives you a greater appreciation of what Daniel Rioli does.
I agree and I was at the game.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #348 on: May 28, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »
George has outperformed him of late, and I know it doesn't suit everyone's love for a Rioli, it's a fact.

So you think because he's got the ball more (he averages .38 more kicks a quarter :lol) yet still manages to get more clangers and turnovers then that's okay? Oh let's not forget despite Georges good game the other day, they still average the same amount of goals this year...

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #349 on: May 28, 2017, 04:04:55 PM »

So you think because he's got the ball more (he averages .38 more kicks a quarter :lol) yet still manages to get more clangers and turnovers then that's okay? Oh let's not forget despite Georges good game the other day, they still average the same amount of goals this year...
How do you think they compare over the last 4 weeks?
All I'm saying the last 3 weeks is that he is out of form. He needs to contribute more offensively.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #350 on: May 28, 2017, 04:59:12 PM »
The whole fwd line is out of form led by jack the only experienced one down there missing shots from straight out in front !!  :banghead

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #351 on: May 28, 2017, 05:20:13 PM »
The whole fwd line is out of form led by jack the only experienced one down there missing shots from straight out in front !!  :banghead
Sure he has missed some sitters the last couple of weeks but he is our only forward "in form" at the moment.
Only a few from the lead in the Coleman Medal.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #352 on: May 28, 2017, 08:59:01 PM »
BT, I thought he was OK last night, ditto George although in Georgia's case a vast improvement in what I witnessed up in Sydney last week. Live George was very poor last week. Was there and I stand by that 

Actually thought Bolton was the best of the 3, probably more so because he's new and it's exciting to see new players coming through

As I said all 3 had 4 kicks but all did the thigns that they are there for and that's applying defensive pressure in the F50

Would I like Rioli get more of the ball? absolutely. Would I like to see him nail a few GOALS?  Without hesitation answers is yes.

But would I drop him and bring back in the likes of Morris, Hunt, Townsend? Absolutely not
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #353 on: May 29, 2017, 08:57:44 PM »
Daniel Rioli contract with Richmond delayed by CBA hold-up

Daniel Cherny
The Age
30 May 2017

The unresolved collective bargaining agreement negotiations have delayed a new contract for Richmond livewire Daniel Rioli.

While Rioli, whose contract expires at the end of the season, is expected to sign a fresh deal with the Tigers, it's understood that greater certainty is wanted around the specifics of the CBA before a deal is agreed to.

Rioli's manager Paul Koutoufides is on record saying the goalsneak has no intention of looking for another club, while Richmond are showing no signs of concern that the talented forward won't stay at Punt Road.

Taken at pick 15 in the 2015 draft, Rioli, who turned 20 in April, has played every game for the Tigers this year after making 18 senior appearances in his first season. The youngster's high-tempo style of play has been among the highlights of Richmond's remodelled game plan, with Rioli and fellow small forwards Jason Castagna and Dan Butler drawing plaudits for their pressure in attack.

Rioli kicked 13 goals in 18 games last year, and has 11 majors from 10 games in 2017 – including a goal of the year contender against West Coast in round three – although his output has dropped in recent weeks, with Rioli kicking just one goal since round seven. He is also averaging just under 11 disposals a game.

The nephew of Hawthorn champion Cyril, Tiwi Islands product Daniel has been touted by coach Damien Hardwick as a genuine midfield option in the long-term.

Rioli is among a host of players whose contracts have been held up by the CBA talks. Among those out-of-contract players who have attributed the CBA delay to their decision not to re-sign are Adelaide key defender Jake Lever, Gold Coast skipper Steven May and Port Adelaide's Jasper Pittard.

Essendon list manager Adrian Dodoro also told a club podcast recently that the timeline for re-signing key players such as Joe Daniher, Darcy Parish and David Zaharakis had stretched out because of the CBA. While talks between the AFL and players association have been inching closer to a conclusion in recent months, an agreement remains elusive.

The Tigers are also desperately trying to keep superstar free agent Dustin Martin, whose playing future has been among the hottest topics of the season.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/daniel-rioli-contract-with-richmond-delayed-by-cba-holdup-20170529-gwfpkp.html

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #354 on: June 04, 2017, 08:24:48 AM »
What did we all think of Rioli's game last night?

One "Joe the goose" over the top from Jack but not really much else.

Just on another note, what do we all think about him living with the coach?
Imo Hardwick has shown in the past and even now he has favourites, does a player living with the coach make it hard for him to honest on how that player is really going?

As much as it's a good thing for the Hardwick family to do, I think it's totally inappropriate for a senior coach to do this.
There is plenty of other people around the club that imo would be better to do this.
Thoughts??

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #355 on: June 04, 2017, 08:27:41 AM »
BT, I thought he was OK last night, ditto George although in Georgia's case a vast improvement in what I witnessed up in Sydney last week. Live George was very poor last week. Was there and I stand by that 

Actually thought Bolton was the best of the 3, probably more so because he's new and it's exciting to see new players coming through

As I said all 3 had 4 kicks but all did the thigns that they are there for and that's applying defensive pressure in the F50

Would I like Rioli get more of the ball? absolutely. Would I like to see him nail a few GOALS?  Without hesitation answers is yes.

But would I drop him and bring back in the likes of Morris, Hunt, Townsend? Absolutely not
Sorry I only just saw this.
The last sentence is a bit on the ridiculous side, no one ever is asking to see those players you mentioned over Rioli... maybe only Jack  :rollin.  As he like all things old and slow

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #356 on: June 04, 2017, 08:32:56 AM »
Thoughts

He's looked tired for weeks and will benefit from the week off more than anyone on the list.

Just a kid and clearly has niggles.

As for living with the Hardwick's. I think it's a good thing, he's obviously happy there and they are obviously happy to have him.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #357 on: June 04, 2017, 08:41:04 AM »
Thoughts

He's looked tired for weeks and will benefit from the week off more than anyone on the list.

As for living with the Hardwick's. I think it's a good thing, he's obviously happy there and they are obviously happy to have him.
That's all nice and stuff but what do you think in terms of football? Genuine question

The reason I ask is I know what Paul Roos has said about getting to close to his players when he was coach and I also heard that lady on SEN that does a weekly segment (not sure if her name but she has coached the Diamonds in netball before) and she said the other day that she cannot get to close to the players as it compromises being able to make hard calls on her players.

To me that makes sense but I'm interested to hear what others think.

Offline casper68

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #358 on: June 04, 2017, 08:46:53 AM »
I think the bye has come at a good time for Daniel.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #359 on: June 04, 2017, 08:54:08 AM »
Thoughts

That's all nice and stuff but what do you think in terms of football? Genuine question

The reason I ask is I know what Paul Roos has said about getting to close to his players when he was coach and I also heard that lady on SEN that does a weekly segment (not sure if her name but she has coached the Diamonds in netball before) and she said the other day that she cannot get to close to the players as it compromises being able to make hard calls on her players.

To me that makes sense but I'm interested to hear what others think.

BT picking the side and making hard decisions on players is a match committee decision week in week out. The coach would have a big say in the matter but overall it's a group decision. And I don't have an issue with Rioli living with Dimma at all.