Author Topic: Oleg Markov [merged]  (Read 93747 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 50 - Oleg Markov
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2015, 10:29:53 AM »
OK Im gonna dowse this fire, if you look at his highlight reel its not that flash, a lot of goals from marks in space and 30m out.  He's not tall enough for key forward.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-11-24/2015-national-draft-pick-50-oleg-markov

He doesn't look that mobile on the turn but he does adjust his kicks to a target a few times quite well  which is good.

I only saw one burst of speed in the highlights reel too, at least he has some.

Didn't we take a medium sided forward a few years back at about this pick, I forget his name and he was gone after a few games and 2 years.
Here it is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_O'Hanlon
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brett_OHanlon.html

He was 189cm 87Kg not quite big enough or fast enough to make it and he was Pre Season Draft.

Juries still out but I think its a funny pick, maybe he will play the high half forward flank or some midfield to forward role.
You obviously are comparing apples and oranges. Oleg is astonishingly quick and agile, something that O'Hanlon never was. Don't just go by the highlight reel. Believe me when I say he will be the most athletically gifted player at tiger land and that's saying something when you look at the team that we have right now. My main concerns about him are his weight and he is prone to injury. If he can put on a bit of beef and stay fit we really have a beauty here. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:47:27 AM by YellowandBlackBlood »
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Jonesracing82

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2015, 10:46:19 AM »
OK Im gonna dowse this fire, if you look at his highlight reel its not that flash, a lot of goals from marks in space and 30m out.  He's not tall enough for key forward.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2015-11-24/2015-national-draft-pick-50-oleg-markov

He doesn't look that mobile on the turn but he does adjust his kicks to a target a few times quite well  which is good.

I only saw one burst of speed in the highlights reel too, at least he has some.

Didn't we take a medium sided forward a few years back at about this pick, I forget his name and he was gone after a few games and 2 years.
Here it is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_O'Hanlon
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brett_OHanlon.html

He was 189cm 87Kg not quite big enough or fast enough to make it and he was Pre Season Draft.

Juries still out but I think its a funny pick, maybe he will play the high half forward flank or some midfield to forward role.

don't forget we Draft for the future as well as next season

Offline Beans

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2015, 10:47:31 AM »
Don't know too much about this kid except:
1) Outstanding lineage
2) Outstanding physical attributes and testing results

His vision looks great. Smooth mover, quick, kicks well and seems to read it well. For a 50+ pick he is a no brainer. Suspect he will be Kam Macintosh-like over the next couple of years.

Having said that I hope we pick up Stephen Parson's kid in the Rookie draft only because I like the sentimental story.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »
Just went back over the highlights of this kid and he reminds a lot of Jeremy Howe , has those steel trap hands that just clunk em from anywhere , a real smokey this kid  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2015, 07:55:39 PM »
Just went back over the highlights of this kid and he reminds a lot of Jeremy Howe , has those steel trap hands that just clunk em from anywhere , a real smokey this kid  :shh

Sounds informed and inspiring  ::)

anyhoot, for those who missed it this morning, Emma Quayle was on SEN and said of many of the draft picks, Markov would be potentially amongst the most exciting and influential for a late pick. Apparently has a lot of speed and X factor in gener play.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2015, 09:32:48 PM »
We've just recruited Nathan Gordon mk II if you ask me. May turn out better and become an okay forward but doubt he'll be a midfielder. Good luck to the kid though hope he makes it.

last 2 draft pools seems we've picked up players with athletic capabilities. I like it.

While threepeat Hawthorn have gone for natural footballers with limited (albeit still good) athletic attributes

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2015, 09:35:37 PM »
We've just recruited Nathan Gordon mk II if you ask me. May turn out better and become an okay forward but doubt he'll be a midfielder. Good luck to the kid though hope he makes it.

last 2 draft pools seems we've picked up players with athletic capabilities. I like it.

While threepeat Hawthorn have gone for natural footballers with limited (albeit still good) athletic attributes
Hawthorn already drafted athletes in Smith, Hill and Hartung so they didn't need too many more.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »

Don't think he'll be quite that bad - he at least looks like he knows where to run, doesn't mind a bit of contact and can take a mark, so that's three more attributes he has than Flashless for a start....would've preferred Ben Crocker with this pick...but whatever....only time will tell....hopefully Mr. Claws is right....for once.... :santa
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2015, 10:35:08 PM »

Hawthorn already drafted athletes in Smith, Hill and Hartung so they didn't need too many more.

Who funnily enough were still footballers apart from Hill

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2015, 11:14:24 PM »

Disagree with Smith.  Thought he was ordinary as a footballer on his first year or two. Has become a much better player since.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2015, 01:07:27 AM »

Disagree with Smith.  Thought he was ordinary as a footballer on his first year or two. Has become a much better player since.

But (IMO) in his juniour years he was. Just took time to translate into the AFL

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Markov knows what to expect in AFL ... (West Australian)
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2015, 02:59:26 AM »
Markov knows what to expect in AFL

Roger Vaughan
     West Australian
    November 26, 2015

Oleg Markov starts life as an AFL footballer with his eyes wide open.

Dad Dmitri has never minded what sports his two sons pursue, so long as they know what to expect.

The former world champion pole vaulter was beaming with pride on Tuesday, the day after Richmond recruited his elder son with pick 50 in the national draft.

When asked what advice he had passed on, Dmitri said it started a long time ago.

"I just taught him that not everything goes okay, sometimes you have a bad day," Dmitri said.

"You have to still keep your head above water, otherwise it's pretty hard.

"If you get injured, sometimes you feel like you want to kill yourself.

"He's pretty strong, mentally."

Dmitri won the 2001 world title in the pole vault, as well as the 2006 Commonwealth Games silver medal and competed at two Olympics.

His wife Valentina was also a decathlete in their native Belarus.

The family moved to Australia in the late '90s.

Oleg won a WA state championship in gymnastics and was also a handy high jumper.

But from the time he started playing schoolyard footy, he was hooked.

"Once the footy season started, he said 'no more athletics'," Oleg said.

The new Tiger said his Dad had been a massive influence ahead of starting in the AFL.

"His professionalism is far beyond anyone else I've met," Oleg said.

"The way he's handled himself, on and off the track, is always something I've looked up to.

"He always has the stories to back it up.

"So if I have any concerns or I'm going through a tough time, he's always one person who's gone through it."

But with Dmitri's pole vaulting and Oleg's background as a high jumper, can he take a screamer?

"I try to get up, yeah for sure," Oleg said.

"But the next step is taking the mark, so I have to stop fumbling."

Younger brother Tony is 12 and also looked on as Oleg spoke to the media the day after the draft.

He used to barrack for Sydney. Now he's a Tiger.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/30194297/markov-knows-what-to-expect-in-afl/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2015, 03:01:15 AM »
From today's Australian

The Tigers also recruited Oleg Markov, the son of former pole vault world champion Dmitri, and defender Nathan Broad.

Oleg won a West Australian state championship in gymnastics and was also a handy high jumper. But from the time he started playing schoolyard footy, he was hooked. “Once the footy season started, he said, ‘no more athletics’,” Oleg said of his father.

The new Tiger said his dad had been a huge influence ahead of starting in the AFL.

“The way he’s handled himself, on and off the track, is always something I’ve looked up to,” Oleg said. “He always has the stories to back it up. So if I have any concerns or I’m going through a tough time, he’s always one person who’s gone through it.”

When asked what advice he had passed on, Dmitri said it started a long time ago.

“I just taught him that not everything goes OK, sometimes you have a bad day,” Dmitri said.

“You have to still keep your head above water, otherwise it’s pretty hard. If you get injured, sometimes you feel like you want to kill yourself.

“He’s pretty strong, mentally.”

Source: The Australian

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2015, 08:25:04 PM »
Claw will actually be happy for once!
You bet ya my only gripe is i wanted us to rookie him last year. Yeah hes a bit on the skinny side still, but this kid will get big enough. Not often you get an athletic freak who has good footy skills and a footy brain.

Agree with Claw all the way with Markov. Will play senior footy next year no doubt about it.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2015, 08:30:37 PM »
Go look at the Instagram snap of him kicking a goal and then standing next to the goal umpire signalling a goal at the same time... :lol

I do hope he makes it but that frame.....  :-\
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"