Author Topic: Nathan Broad [merged]  (Read 95527 times)

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Nathan Broad [merged]
« Reply #315 on: October 21, 2022, 12:17:19 AM »
And yet many left him out our Best 22 for round 1 next year. Don't understand why except for the crunch that adding Hopper and Taranto will force the likes of Short out of the midfield. If everybody is fit round 1 he still should be in.
Sheesh i agree with all of that.
Some supporters now want to play Short in the backline at the expense of Broad. Its like they don't see what Broad brings to the table especially the run and rebound.

For those supporters who think that way here are a few simple questions.

Who in the midfield is he in front of??. He is imo definately behind Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Hopper, Taranto, Bolton, and Sonsie. He is behind or in a fight with Graham and Baker also.

Who in the backhalf does he play in front of?? Simply put Rioli has shot past him and the rest of the backline speaks for itself, Vlastuin, Broad, Grimes, Tarrant, Balta, and also the need to play Gibcus. Im picking every single one of them in front of him as a defender and then there is pick 17 developing a kid called Brown.

Okay who in the fwd half is he a better option than??. Simple answer is no one. Every day of the week Bolton, Martin Sonsie as mid rotations are better. M Rioli and Cumberland are just better fwds as smalls and the you have the likes of the talls.

Most wont even contemplate it but the arrival of Taranto and Hopper. The emergence of Rioli as a backman really has Short in the 23 - 26 player bracket probably along with Graham Ross and dare i say it Baker.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #316 on: October 21, 2022, 01:19:33 AM »
Or we play short in defence instead of Gibcus because why would we ever need 5 190cm+ defenders in the team at the same time? If Gibcus is to get in the side then he’ll need to take the spot of 1 of the 4 established talls in the side. Also still have Miller who can be thrown back on top of the 4 talls if the situation really calls for it.

Besides I thought you were all aboard the balta as the third tall forward train so why are you now naming him in defence……

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #317 on: October 21, 2022, 07:50:14 AM »
And yet many left him out our Best 22 for round 1 next year. Don't understand why except for the crunch that adding Hopper and Taranto will force the likes of Short out of the midfield. If everybody is fit round 1 he still should be in.
Sheesh i agree with all of that.
Some supporters now want to play Short in the backline at the expense of Broad. Its like they don't see what Broad brings to the table especially the run and rebound.

For those supporters who think that way here are a few simple questions.

Who in the midfield is he in front of??. He is imo definately behind Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Hopper, Taranto, Bolton, and Sonsie. He is behind or in a fight with Graham and Baker also.

Who in the backhalf does he play in front of?? Simply put Rioli has shot past him and the rest of the backline speaks for itself, Vlastuin, Broad, Grimes, Tarrant, Balta, and also the need to play Gibcus. Im picking every single one of them in front of him as a defender and then there is pick 17 developing a kid called Brown.

Okay who in the fwd half is he a better option than??. Simple answer is no one. Every day of the week Bolton, Martin Sonsie as mid rotations are better. M Rioli and Cumberland are just better fwds as smalls and the you have the likes of the talls.

Most wont even contemplate it but the arrival of Taranto and Hopper. The emergence of Rioli as a backman really has Short in the 23 - 26 player bracket probably along with Graham Ross and dare i say it Baker.

Wow. I must be mistaken in reading this. Am I correct that you are saying we have depth on our list to force Short out of the team?  For me Short will still be top 22 (or maybe 23 this year). If everybody is fit it's going to be very interesting selecting the team. Anyway this is the Broad thread and I'm glad you made his value in the team and should be in.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #318 on: February 03, 2023, 08:14:39 PM »

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #319 on: February 03, 2023, 08:58:21 PM »
Or we play short in defence instead of Gibcus because why would we ever need 5 190cm+ defenders in the team at the same time? If Gibcus is to get in the side then he’ll need to take the spot of 1 of the 4 established talls in the side. Also still have Miller who can be thrown back on top of the 4 talls if the situation really calls for it.

Besides I thought you were all aboard the balta as the third tall forward train so why are you now naming him in defence……
Really we have regularly played with 4 talls since we recruited Broad. then we also have Vlastuin who can play a bit taller than his 187cm.
We can do this because and a blind man can see it Broad and Grimes have the ability to play on talls mediums and smalls.
we have mids today who are bigger than Grimes and Broad.
Broads versatility is what makes him so valuable we can play him in a running role of hb which we do at times and in the same game we have played Grimes on blokes like Charlie Cameron.

FFS Broad can and regularly does play a running role while being accountable to an opponent. He shuts down smalls and mediums and he has played on talls. The run and rebound he provides is imo greatly undervalued. Last year he was our leading rebounder yet we rave about the likes of Rioli. He was third for one percenters which implies as a backman lots of spoils which shows just how accountable he is.
He also took 140 marks more than any one else which sort of leads us into intercept marks.

It is laughable when talking about Broad and Short one is accountable provides heaps of run and rebound and plays on all types of fwds usually managing to nullify them as well. The other  sits outside is poor defensively panics under pressure and is fed the ball by all and sundry but boy he can kick it 60metres.Every day of the week  a blind man would pick Broad in front of Short in defense.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #320 on: February 03, 2023, 09:25:50 PM »
Where oh where did I ever mention playing short ahead of broad????? Also where oh where did I ever say there was anything wrong with playing 4 talls???? It’s like you’re having an argument with yourself.

We have typically played 4 talls + vlas and 2 small running defenders. It was Rance, Astbury, Broad, Grimes, Vlas, Houli and Short and now it’s become Tarrant, Balta, Broad, Grimes, Vlas, Rioli and Baker. That has been the structure of the defence for the best part of 6 years now and is looking to continue that way this season.

Your original comment that I responded to listed Tarrant, Balta, Grimes, Broad and I quote “the need to play Gibcus”. That’s 5+ 190cm defenders out of 7 in our 22 which is why I commented that there is a place for short in our defence because we have more or less always rolled with a 4-tall defensive unit.

So before you start pulling out your FFS’s and Sheeeshhhh’s try reading the comment you are replying to.

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #321 on: February 04, 2023, 11:14:01 AM »
I can see we are going to have to do this one player at a time to make you realise he is not needed in defence midfield or forward for that matter.
 Besides i just gave Broad a huge wrap it is after all the Broad thread sorry it went off tangent a bit in relation to your post..

So we have established Broad gets picked in front of Short and there are some who say Short should play in front of him. Fmd one jouno didnt even have Broad in the side. Hence the comparison
Next one is does Short get picked in front of Vlastuin. Cmon lets see you say yes. Different players different roles and certainly different ability to defend an opponent.
While im at it Short won't get picked in front of the 4 talls we have always gone with after all Grimes Tarrant and Balta are talls and Broad makes 4.
It leaves Rioli well well well he won't be getting a gig in front of him either. In one season Rioli has shown why we must keep on trying likely types across hb having shot past Short in the role not that it was  that hard to do.

As for Gibcus apologies the comment was meant to be along the lines of we have to find ways to keep on getting games into him regardless of whos spot he gets.  5 talls well it depends on the roles doesnt it.  Grimes plays small which he has done a lot.  Broad plays as a runner and rebounder as does Rioli which both do regularly. Tarrant and Balta get the big fwds and Gibcus plays the Grimes role as third tall.

Yes on Balta i still advocate we play him or Miller as a fwd but why bother voicing it when its obvious the club will play him back.

Do we go thru the mids and forwards not many will argue as a mid he is behind Martin, Taranto, Cotchin, Sonsie, Bolton, Hopper and Prestia.
Its even been suggested he play wing in front of either Pickett or McIntosh lol.People desperately looking for a role for him at the expense of others better suited.
Atm Cumberland Rioli are in front as fwds and we would be crazy not to have Clarke next cab of the rank if injury hits.

It leaves the bench imo it should go Miller for obvious reasons, Cotchin, Sonsie and Baker leaving Short in a fight with Graham and Ross as the sub.

Its like a veil has come over supporters and they have lost sight of the need to actually get games into kids. Instead we are looking for ways to deny them games now that Taranto and Hopper are here and Dusty is back.

Its simple play the best player for the role in the role do that and all of Ross Baker Graham and your mate Short are fighting for a bench spot or sub spot at best.

I hope the likes of Gibcus Brown, Clarke Miller Sonsie  and Banks find a way to establish themselves in the 22 this year most people arent even contemplating it. it might mean a favorite who played in a premiership might miss out.

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #322 on: February 04, 2023, 01:26:15 PM »
I don’t think we need to keep going on about this.

Structure wise we will play 4 talls. Tarrant, Balta, Grimes and Broad will be automatic when fit unless their form falls off a cliff in which case Gibcus and Young will be next in line. We are blessed that both grimes and broad are capable of playing and playing well on smalls. And like you said broad (especially last season) is capable of providing run and rebound, that is not his primary role and depending on his matchup he may be preoccupied locking down on a forward.

Then we will play vlastuin as a medium who can at a stretch play on a tall although not ideal. His primary role has generally been to float around the defence, intercept attacks and use his elite disposal to kick start the attack. Like Broad, vlas is also capable (even moreso) of proving run and rebound out of defence but that isn’t his primary function back there.

So those 5 we can agree on, they cover us against the opposition key position forwards while also being versatile enough to lock down on smalls and provide some run and carry too. But that still leaves 2 spots in defence for those smaller types whose primary role is to provide run and carry out of defence. I think everyone can agree that based on last season, d.Rioli has cemented himself as our number one option for this role. So the last spot is the sticking point which this conversation should be focused on. To me there are 2 obvious players for this last spot, that is baker and short. Personally while I don’t think short is a bad midfielder by any means, from what I’ve seen baker is a better in that role while also being a handy small forward. With that being the case I would play short in defence and baker as a mid/fwd however the club feels the opposite based on last season and this pre-season.

As for the other defensive options you have mentioned;
- Gibcus is a key position defender or at a stretch maybe that medium interceptor type.
- Miller seems to have settled into that second pinch hit ruck role which I think is great for us as he gives us the versatility of also being able to play pretty handily in defence or as a forward depending on the in-game situation.
- Brown seems like a vlastuin regen to me. Structure wise I could see him taking one of the ‘rebounding small defender’ positions however the kid hasn’t played a single AFL game and I think even his biggest fan would struggle to describe his vfl form as anything more then good/promising. Let’s give the kid time to develop, if he starts dominating at vfl level, sure bring him in, but he’s not getting picked as is ahead of AFL tried and tested multi time premiership players like baker and short.

I sure hope that closes the discussion as I honestly hate clogging up these threads with these super long posts especially when this moreso belongs in the short thread not in broads.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #323 on: February 04, 2023, 03:48:39 PM »
On a side note, congratz on the bubba Broady

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #324 on: February 04, 2023, 05:16:05 PM »
On a side note, congratz on the bubba Broady

Three-time AFL premiership winner Nathan Broad and his reality TV star wife Tayla Damir have revealed the exciting news they are expecting a baby girl.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-afl-star-nathan-broad-and-reality-tv-star-wife-tayla-damir-announce-exciting-baby-news-c-9649249

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #326 on: February 17, 2023, 06:30:04 PM »
https://articles.listnr.com/triple-m/rush-hour-with-jb-and-billy/nathan-broads-unbelievable-story-about-nearly-losing-his-member/

AFL star Nathan Broad lifts lid on graphic childhood injury: ‘Hanging out like a chook’s neck’

‘They were making phone calls around the world. They had no idea what to do.’

Ben Sutton
7news
17 February 2023

Richmond triple premiership hero Nathan Broad has spilled details on a gruesome injury he suffered when he was younger.

The AFL star was rushed to hospital by his dad after he was almost dismembered in a bizarre incident.

“I was 12, I was in the pool for a long time at home, you know when your hands go really wrinkly,” Broad explained on Triple M.

“I got out and me and some mates were mucking around kicking the footy … I was running backwards and my mate was trying to tackle me and I tripped on my own feet and his knee kind of kneed me in the groin a bit.

“Had a look and ‘the old Johnson’ was hanging out like a chook’s neck. Lucky the beans were there because they held it back. If it wasn’t for the beans then (it could have been a lot worse).”

After calling his dad over to inspect the damage, they made the decision to rush to hospital.

Broad hails from the remote Western Australian town of Wubin, which is 272km east of Perth, so waiting for an ambulance was not really an option.

When arriving at the hospital, Broad said the staff “were blown away” with what they saw.

“They were making phone calls around the world. They had no idea what to do,” he said.

“It was literally just hanging by the beans and it went all the way round back to the start like paper mache, perfect cut. Hardly any blood.”

“After a while they knocked me out – had a lot of phone calls and meetings with what to do.

“Essentially they stitched it back up … they took a few inches off me I reckon.”

The good news is Broad suffered no long-term issues from the accident.

He and reality TV star wife Tayla Damir recently revealed the exciting news they are expecting a baby girl.

The couple took to Instagram to announce their news, with a photo of Damir cooking with her baby bump showing and the caption, “Cooking for three,” followed by a hatching chick emoji.

The Richmond star and his Love Island winner wife also shared a photo of their ultrasound and a picture of them hugging while holding their dog and a sign, which said: “It’s a girl!”

Broad, 29, and Damir, 25, and were married last October in Queensland in an intimate ceremony attended by close family and friends.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-star-nathan-broad-lifts-lid-on-graphic-childhood-injury-hanging-out-like-a-chooks-neck-c-9785480

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #327 on: March 18, 2023, 06:59:16 AM »
Richmond Tigers defender Nathan Broad says extra time would be ‘pretty cool’ after drawn season opener

Craig O'Donoghue
PerthNow
March 17, 2023 1:18PM

Richmond defender Nathan Broad has thrown his support behind playing extra time during the home and away season after the Tigers’ dramatic draw against Carlton on Thursday night.

The Blues and Tigers started the season locked on 8.10 (58) after Tom Lynch tied the scores with a goal inside the last 20 seconds.

It was the third draw in Broad’s career, which included the round 19 match against Fremantle last season. Teammate Jack Riewoldt has now played in eight draws.

Drawn finals are decided by extra time and the former Swan Districts defender said there was no reason the players couldn’t continue playing to find a winner.

“It’d be pretty cool I reckon,” Broad told The West Australian.

“The boys are fit. When it comes down to that, it’s just all mental. It’s who can mentally stay in it for longer.

“We had a bit of momentum there. What a way to start the season. It was a cracking game.

“That’s my third draw which is pretty weird. We were down until we kicked that goal to draw it, so we’ve got to be happy. If it was the other way around and we were up until they kicked a goal, we would have been sad. It’s crazy that 120 minutes comes down to that.”

Broad said Richmond’s ability to restrict Carlton key forwards Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay to a combined four goals and to hold the Blues to less than 60 points showed concerns of the Tigers’ backline weren’t real.

While Broad, Noah Balta, Dylan Grimes and Nick Vlastuin lack the height of some backlines, he said their ability to work together showed what they are capable of

“People doubted us and said we were too short or underdone which probably made us try harder. We kept them to 58 points which is amazing.

“They’ve got some amazing forwards. We love being the underdog. We like to be the hunters.”

For Broad, the start of the season continues a whirlwind time since the 2022 campaign, marrying his partner Tayla who is now pregnant with their first child.

Broad said his life off the field was at an all-time high.

“I’ve got my beautiful wife Tayla and I couldn’t be happier. She’s doing well. She is a superstar,” Broad said.

“Life is awesome. Everyone is healthy. I’m rapt. It’s all kind of happened in one year. I got married and we’re having a little baby girl now. Life’s great.”

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-tigers-defender-nathan-broad-says-extra-time-would-be-pretty-cool-after-drawn-season-opener-c-10069042

Online the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #328 on: March 18, 2023, 10:24:53 AM »
Needs to find his good form and concentrate on that. Thought he had a poor start to the season.

Broadsword

« Reply #329 on: March 18, 2023, 10:46:54 AM »
I agree. Until he plays better football he cannot have an opinion on anything.