Author Topic: Nathan Broad [merged]  (Read 95487 times)

Online TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Nathan Broad [merged]
« Reply #345 on: March 25, 2023, 09:41:10 PM »
Real brain fade. The ball was out too. Don't mind showing a bit of aggression but tackle him fairly and just sit on him
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #346 on: March 25, 2023, 11:16:15 PM »
It was a fair tackle for most of my life until the AFL rule changers took hold of our game and stuffed it up

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #347 on: March 26, 2023, 12:18:34 AM »
Broad apologises for sling tackle, Crows confirm Parnell concussion

By Lee Gaskin
afl.com.au
26 March 2023

RICHMOND defender Nathan Broad has apologised to Tigers coach Damian Hardwick for the sickening sling tackle that is expected to see him sidelined for Friday night’s blockbuster with Collingwood at the MCG.

Broad could be looking at a lengthy early-season holiday for the dangerous hit on young Adelaide defender Patrick Parnell in Saturday’s 32-point win over the Crows at Adelaide Oval.

Parnell spent a couple of minutes on the ground before he was helped off the field by club trainers and was subbed out of the game in the first quarter.

The Crows' high performance boss Darren Burgess confirmed post-match that Parnell had suffered a concussion and had been placed into the League's concussion protocols, effectively ruling the 21-year-old out of next round's Showdown.

“Nathan came and apologised to me, and he’ll apologise to the young man as well,” Hardwick said.

“It was just one of those ones, no-one goes out there deliberately trying to hurt a player.

“(It was) in the heat of the battle and he’s got a duty of responsibility. He knows that and we understand that. That’ll be dealt with during the week.”

https://www.afl.com.au/news/888240/broad-apologises-for-sling-tackle-crows-confirm-parnell-concussion

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #348 on: March 26, 2023, 08:00:25 AM »
No need for it.

That's one of the things they are wanting to get out of the game some so he is in strife

Reckon he will get 2 weeks but wouldn't be at all surprised if it's 3
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #349 on: March 26, 2023, 12:17:12 PM »
Richmond defender Nathan Broad looks set for a date with the tribunal and a minimum three-match suspension for his dangerous tackle on Adelaide’s Patrick Parnell.

Broad’s tackle should be graded careless conduct, high contact and severe impact, as the Crow suffered concussion, was subbed out of the game and will miss the ‘Showdown’ against Port Adelaide this weekend.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/afl-round-2-adelaide-crows-v-richmond-all-the-news-action-and-fallout-from-adelaide-oval/news-story/d16594b05e204781a0fe892a359988e1

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Broad sent straight to the Tribunal (afl site)
« Reply #350 on: March 26, 2023, 06:51:34 PM »
RICHMOND defender Nathan Broad has been sent straight to the Tribunal for his sling tackle on Adelaide's Patrick Parnell and is facing at least three weeks on the sidelines.

Broad's tackle on Parnell was judged to be careless, high contact and severe impact, meaning he has been sent straight to the Tribunal.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/890076/match-review-tiger-port-defender-cited-north-co-captain-cops-a-week

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #351 on: March 26, 2023, 06:52:04 PM »
3 weeks is fair, if he gets 4 it's a disgrace

FooffooValve

« Reply #352 on: March 26, 2023, 07:22:40 PM »
Had another look from all angles today. One of the dumbest things I've seen a Richmond player do. I'm revising my 2 weeks up to 4.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #353 on: March 26, 2023, 08:28:15 PM »
Hot topic, 2-3 is my pick, interesting question, if Parnel had not been concussed what would the penalty have been??

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #354 on: March 26, 2023, 08:35:42 PM »
If Stewart got 4 then this is worth 3 max. 2 would be a bargain.

I think 3 is appropriate.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #355 on: March 26, 2023, 09:08:12 PM »
If Stewart got 4 then this is worth 3 max. 2 would be a bargain.

I think 3 is appropriate.

As it's been sent straight to the tribunal it is a minimum of 3 weeks

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #356 on: March 26, 2023, 09:39:07 PM »
That incident with Stewart was daylight worse then Broads and he got only 4 and Broad gets 3 lol Stewart was 6 to 8 weeks ban.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #357 on: March 26, 2023, 10:10:46 PM »
They have changed the way these incidents are graded now (for season 2023)

So the Broad incident would have been graded differently last year

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘That’s a six weeker’: David King calls for HUGE ban for Broad (Fox)
« Reply #358 on: March 27, 2023, 06:53:59 AM »
David King wants Broad to cop 6 weeks.

--------------------------------------------

‘That’s a six weeker’: Great calls for HUGE ban for brutal ‘car crash’ AFL tackle

Ben Cotton
Fox Sports
March 26th, 2023 11:15 pm

North Melbourne legend David King has called for the AFL to draw a line in the sand and hit Richmond defender Nathan Broad with a massive a six-week ban for his brutal sling tackle on Adelaide’s Patrick Parnell.

Both Broad and Port Adelaide’s Ryan Burton copped heavy penalties for their dangerous tackles on the weekend. Broad was referred directly to the tribunal, while Burton copped two weeks for rough conduct on Collingwood’s Jamie Elliott.

Broad’s tackle was more severe, slinging Parnell into the turf on the sidelines after play was dead in Saturday’s Adelaide Oval clash and leaving the Crows youngster concussed.

The incident was graded as careless with severe impact and high contact — the maximum charge.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s First Crack, King labelled Broad’s tackle a “horrific incident” and a “car crash,” saying he’d be “really disappointed” if it only results in a three or four week ban.

“We’ve got one chance to stamp this out, and unfortunately, Nathan Broad and the Richmond footy club have to pay a price. That’s a six weeker for me,” the dual premiership Kangaroo said.

“You have to say: ‘Guys, you know the rules.’

“We stuffed this up with the bump totally and we’ve got all sorts of trauma with past players and we’ll be court for all sorts of reasons and all sort sorts of finances will drift out of the game.

“But players know with this one, they know when they’ve got a guy cold. That poor young fella there — Patrick Parnell — we can’t say what his injury is today.

“Because he doesn’t have a broken arm or broken leg, the trauma he’s going to suffer is down the track potentially. The game now has to get this right, you’ve got one chance, don’t stuff this up.

“If you give that six weeks, it will not happen again for the year. The grading was careless, high and severe — that’s the max. So don’t tiptoe through this one.”

As King alluded to, it comes as a widespread of past players have recently launched lawsuits against the AFL due to the ongoing effects from concussions sustained during their playing days.

The Kangaroos great suggested tackles like Broad’s and Burton’s were “history repeating” and believes it’s time to make a stand against them once and for all for the welfare of players.

“We’ve gone through three years of talking about head trauma and eradicating the bump. The sling is the next war,” he added.

“We had week one where we tiptoed and we didn’t really get it right — we’re still not getting it right in terms of suspension — to have a deterrent that absolutely says to players: ‘No grey area here.’

“We have a prime opportunity right now to take this out of our game. This has been given two weeks.

“I don’t care what you say. As an AFL player, once you know you’ve pinned the arm, it is a duty of car to look after that player you’ve got.”

Former Hawthorn sharpshooter and fellow First Crack panellist Ben Dixon agreed with King, emphasising the duty of care from a tackler when they pin an opponent’s arms.

“We play a contact sport, it’s not a collision sport,” he said.

“When the arms are pinned, the duty of care is the tackler — the lift, the arm and the spin — it’s just not what they teach now.

“So that’s a forceful action and Kingy’s spot on the money — the head trauma is not there right now, it’s later.”

Dual All-Australian Leigh Montagna added: “In my opinion, getting your head slammed into the turf is worse than getting bumped.

“Round 1 it was bump week, Round 2 it’s the sling (tackle). Hopefully now after the first two rounds, every player is on notice and understands (the repercussions).”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-2023-david-king-calls-for-six-week-ban-for-nathan-broad-sling-tackle-on-patrick-parnell-richmond-tigers-v-adelaide-crows-video-highlights-tribunal-match-review-gradings-latest-news/news-story/9d73e65a6a5079512f65892a193e092f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #359 on: March 27, 2023, 07:28:50 AM »
From Robbo's dislikes column:

7. Three-week Broadside

Dangerous dump tackles are still in the repertoire, and although Nathan Broad apologised to everyone, the fact is Broad’s throwdown of Patrick Parnell was a crude opportunity to hurt. If Adelaide’s McAdam received three weeks for a late bump on Jacob Wehr, then Broad has to sit for the same amount of time, for Parnell was left in worse shape than Wehr. It was a brutal and illegal dump tackle, which adds weight to the argument pushed by Collingwood great Scott Pendlebury last weekend that a sin bin be implemented.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/the-tackle-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-2-2023/news-story/6481566883db5eb4d6339fc30aa19d7a