Author Topic: Richmond vs Port Adelaide - Round 6, 2016  (Read 14500 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs Port Adelaide - Round 6, 2016
« Reply #165 on: May 01, 2016, 11:51:41 PM »

So WP is the game plan we want to execute sound and its a player issue only?

Based on what was explained and the vision shown, it is more than sound. It is similar to what other teams are doing but for what ever reason our blokes can't, don't or won't execute it.

It is interesting I've read with interest people yet again bag Batchelor, but he was of the 3 key backs last night (Astbury  :banghead, & Chaplin  :banghead :banghead the other 2) the only one who tried to execute the plan when the ball was in the back D50. Yes he stuffed up but at least he was doing what he was supposed to be doing.

Trust me "happy handball" in the defensive 50, wasn't the plan. But Astbury in particular seemed hellbent on handballing to any stationery target he could find.

Not sure if anyone noticed in the 3rd Houli had the ball near the goal square, most players had moved to the souther stand side. There were a couple of blokes down the line members side. Batchelor told Houli to go to the southern stand side and based on what we were told prematch, he should have done but no he went to members side with a nothing kick and created a turnover and Batchelor had to leave his man to try and fix the problem created.

Meant he ended up out of position, copped a barrage of abuse from the crowd for not manning up. Only reason he wasn't locking down his opponent was because he was trying to fix someone else's mess. It looks bad but he's not to blame but he cops the abuse.

Is it a player only issue? No but last night IMESHO it was without doubt more a player issue than a coaching one

However, the question remains is the message getting through? Do they understand it? If they don't understand it then you have to further question the players.

Why?

Because I am not a footballer but I understood the plan and some of it is so basic I don't understand why some of them struggle with it so much.

Just my take
Last question then I'm off...
So is it Dimma's game plan to kick it sideways and backwards without even looking forward basically everywhere on the ground?
Because it happens way to much for it to just be a coincidence.

Are you sure you weren't in the Port Adelaide function!!  :lol

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #166 on: May 02, 2016, 06:56:04 AM »
So is it Dimma's game plan to kick it sideways and backwards without even looking forward basically everywhere on the ground?

1/ No to the underline bit

and

2/ no to your last question, was actually an interesting presentation because floor got opened up for questions and there were a lot of questions about more than just the game plan
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 12:21:16 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Richmond vs Port Adelaide - Round 6, 2016 th
« Reply #167 on: May 02, 2016, 06:59:30 AM »
I doubt u know that for a fact

Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs Port Adelaide - Round 6, 2016 th
« Reply #168 on: May 02, 2016, 07:25:27 AM »
I doubt u know that for a fact

Correct. The kings of spin will do everything they can to deflect the blame onto others. Even lie

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Jackstar 1960

« Reply #169 on: May 02, 2016, 07:34:14 AM »
When did Rioli shyte himself? What a load of crap. If anything, he tries too hard.

Needs to go back to the VFL and get a few games in a row of 20 possessions
Watching him on Sat Night , he was petrified at times
He will make it, but needs to learn his craft
He doesn't run to the right spots on ground therefore can't use his skills to advantage for the team

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #170 on: May 02, 2016, 08:49:53 AM »

and

2/ no to your last question, was actually an interesting presentation because fall got opened up for questions and there were a lot of questions about more than just the game plan

So if your comments about the plan are true, we just don't have the cattle to execute it. That or the coach can't get the best out of his players which is what a good coach does.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »
stuff me sideways.
i keep seeing the same mistakes. players first instinct is to handball, players handballing forward to a flat footed player facing away from goal, players hitting the ball running away from goal and having no one to hand ball to so forced do a u turn, players getting free after a chain of handballs then handballing again to a player under pressure, players trying to run in waves but being forward of the ball carrier so when the handball comes the opposition are right upon them.

All these are constants and must be attributed to the coach, There is clearly something in their training regimes that cause these things to happen, whether deliberate or not

Year after year, the same stuff, even when winning, these things are happening, just not as often and the players are finding a way to get out of jail, but its a fine line.

The opposition now know it. they know if they apply the pressure and get in our face we will turn it over more than break the lines ourselves, yet the coaches continue down the same path.

If this is nothing like how the coach wants them to play, then there are serious issues with how he tries to teach them how he wants them to play.

No matter how you look at it, responsibility comes down to the coach, FFS thats his job.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »
why worry about what you cant control?  :shh
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #173 on: May 02, 2016, 11:29:17 AM »
im not worried. i dont lose one minute of sleep over it. just pointing out that the coach wears the can.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #174 on: May 02, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »

and

2/ no to your last question, was actually an interesting presentation because fall got opened up for questions and there were a lot of questions about more than just the game plan

So if your comments about the plan are true, we just don't have the cattle to execute it. That or the coach can't get the best out of his players which is what a good coach does.

I've posted what we were told on the night. A other coterie group got told the same so....

And BTW seeing no ones asked no the presentation wasnt done by Hardwick.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #175 on: May 02, 2016, 12:28:46 PM »

No matter how you look at it, responsibility comes down to the coach, FFS thats his job.

I actually agree with you but the players are as much to blame as well.

Based on what were told and shown they failed to execute the most basic parts of the plan.

Yes it is up to the coach to instill it but i would say it is up to the players to at least try and manage the basic concept of creating pressure, chasing, kicking etc

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #176 on: May 02, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »

I actually agree with you but the players are as much to blame as well.

Based on what were told and shown they failed to execute the most basic parts of the plan.

Yes it is up to the coach to instill it but i would say it is up to the players to at least try and manage the basic concept of creating pressure, chasing, kicking etc
But this happens every week WP. The coach is paralysed and won't drop those guys that can't manage these basic concepts! So it is his fault at the end of it all, no ifs or buts.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Heart of Darkness

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #177 on: May 02, 2016, 06:32:00 PM »
When did Rioli shyte himself? What a load of crap. If anything, he tries too hard.

He doesn't run to the right spots on ground therefore can't use his skills to advantage for the team

Yep Rioli needs a week or two in the VFL. I'd bring Short in for him having had some reasonable form Dropping a 1st year bloke who's struggled for a couple weeks so he can build some confidence isn't taking us backward like some on here suggest.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #178 on: May 02, 2016, 07:13:19 PM »

Yep Rioli needs a week or two in the VFL. I'd bring Short in for him having had some reasonable form Dropping a 1st year bloke who's struggled for a couple weeks so he can build some confidence isn't taking us backward like some on here suggest.
I'd agree with this in most cases but not when our seconds are as bad as they are. We have a ruckman that is learning to kick and handball on the job and a group of fat local footballers who have a decent crack but simply are not at the level of skill of a seconds AFL side.
Keep playing Rioli and he will have a good game soon just like C.Eliis did on the weekend.  We are stuffed anyway, may as well get as many games into our potential next group of stars as we can.
I'd play Short as well.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 09:47:53 PM by big tone »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #179 on: May 02, 2016, 08:50:39 PM »
[

I'd agree with this in most cases but not when our seconds are as bad as they are. We have a ruckman that is learning to kick and handball on the job and a group of fat local footballers who have a decent crack but simply are not at the level of skill of a seconds AFL side.
Keep playing Rioli and he will have a good soon just like C.Eliis did on the weekend.  We are stuffed anyway, may as well get as many games into our potential next group of stars as we can.
I'd play Short as well.

Absolutely agree with this.