Author Topic: Deledio off to GWS in exchange for future first & third round picks [confirmed]  (Read 176878 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
.....During that time, he never won a final.  :shh

I didn't notice due to all the mouth breathers blaming Cotchin for it at the time, many doing so while also talking up Deledio's too-little-too-late second half effort v Port .... :shh
I personally was critical of every player that played in that disastrous ‘13 EF loss. A little less critical of the ‘14 loss and again very critical ‘15 loss but not as critical as the first loss (which is the worst loss in our history).

I was under the impression Deledio didn’t really want to go but was talked into it so the club could get some picks.

He wanted to go, he agreed to go. Geelong wanted him originally and his manager was happily talking to them  but they didn't have the cap space

End of the day He could have said " no I'm staying" but didn't
Yes WP.
Which makes him a turncoat traitor of the nearly highest order (the highest would be if he went to the cheats).  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
Deledio was pretty much the best player at the club from the moment he walked in the door at Richmond.
He played in some of Richmond's worst ever losses and was usually one of the only ones that could hold his head high in some of those absolute shockers. You don't know what it takes out of you to keep having to carry a bunch of plodders and I think he earned the right to go. While he had a couple of form lapses in his career, and went missing from time to time, in the end he lived up to his billing as a No.1 draft pick, especially when you factor in the draft picks we got for him. An RFC Hall of Famer.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Agree DC

He had his faults off field (sour puss) but back in the day it was him Richo and daylight who carried the flag.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
He was a champion. Best wishes for him in retirement.  His kicking was elite.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I also seem to recall that he turned down some pretty decent offers from rival clubs in his earlier years.

Whether we like the fact he wanted to leave or not, his leaving played a big part in us winning a flag.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Deledio off to GWS in exchange for future first & third round picks [confirmed]
« Reply #1250 on: September 07, 2019, 06:33:13 PM »
Lids' career is over. Despite GWS winning, He re-injured his calf. He was in tears after the game.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-07/veteran-giant-in-tears-after-another-calf-injury-ends-his-career

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Deledio off to GWS in exchange for future first & third round picks [confirmed]
« Reply #1251 on: September 07, 2019, 07:10:37 PM »
11 possies in %63 game time. He was always terrible in finals.

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1252 on: September 07, 2019, 11:32:52 PM »
You can come back now, you will be welcome

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1253 on: September 07, 2019, 11:50:11 PM »
You can come back now, you will be welcome
Yes, he can polish Prestia’s boots before the game.  :shh
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1254 on: September 08, 2019, 12:32:17 AM »
More tears.

Gee this guy really pities himself doesn't he...?

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1255 on: September 08, 2019, 08:10:17 AM »
11 possies in %63 game time. He was always terrible in finals.

Hurt the calf early on, played on and didn't tell his teammstes

I thought he was just having a typical Deledio finals game.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1256 on: September 14, 2019, 09:34:52 PM »
I see he is going to be on the mark telling his story about our GF win

I think it has some merit if he was dropped or missed through injury, but ffs he left for cash and  glory , and it backfired

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1257 on: September 14, 2019, 09:47:20 PM »
I see he is going to be on the mark telling his story about our GF win

I think it has some merit if he was dropped or missed through injury, but ffs he left for cash and  glory , and it backfired

Just a other Deledio self pity party.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘I was a mess’: Deledio reveals 2017 prelim heartbreak (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1258 on: September 19, 2019, 04:50:51 PM »
‘I was a mess’: Deledio reveals prelim heartbreak

Al Paton,
Herald Sun
19 Sep 2019

A raw Brett Deledio has revealed he apologised to his wife after Richmond defeated his new club GWS in the 2017 preliminary final.

He repeated the apology “10 times” after the Tigers won the flag the year after Deledio left Punt Rd following 12 seasons in yellow and black.

The retiring Giants midfielder has opened up about a brutal three years that included the prelim final heartbreak, repeated soft-tissue injuries and family tragedy including losing a two-year-old nephew to a rare form of brain cancer.

He has also had to say goodbye to his grandfather, aunty Trish (who he regarded as “a second mum”) and sister-in-law Sara in that time.

“I remember as soon as the siren went (in the prelim) it hit me, just the enormity of everything, and then I saw my family after it and I said, ‘I’m so sorry’. I was a bit of a mess,” Deledio says on an interview that will screen tonight on Fox Footy’s On The Mark.

“It (the bad news) just kept on coming. On the Tuesday we got news that little (nephew) Alfie, would you believe, that he had brain cancer as well. A two-year-old, that’s not meant to happen, is it? They found a pear-shaped tumour in his brain ... a one in three million chance.

“I talk about it being unfair with a footy final, how is this fair?”

Deledio wiped away tears as he recounted Grand Final day 2017, when he went to the park to escape his Richmond ghosts, only to run into a man watching the match on his phone.

“I remember checking my phone ... I had almost convinced myself that it was too unfair for it to happen, for them to win without me after everything that I’d gone through and done, for it to be the year later, I was like, ‘That can’t possibly happen’,” he said.

“I remember it just broke my heart.

“That scene in The Simpsons when you can see Ralph’s heart break — that was me.

“I think I apologised Katie 10 times in the next 20 minutes, I said, ‘I’m so sorry for dragging you up here’ ... She said, ‘Don’t you dare’. I was saying this with tears running down my face, I was just angry, because it just felt so unfair.

“I know that’s probably going to cause a stir and everyone will say, ‘You had the choice’, but I did what I thought was right at the time for my own mental state of mind.”

Deledio said he made the tough decision to leave the Tigers after a 2016 season in which the club won just eight games after making the finals in the three previous years.

“I thought, ‘Right, ’16 is the year, here we go, we’re going to launch here’, and I did my quad about two weeks from Round 1.

After a demoralising loss to Port Adelaide, he said: “I remember driving home in the car just thinking, ‘Where is this going?’ ... tears just started pouring down, (I was thinking) ‘I don’t know how much longer I can do this for, we’re supposed to be better than this’.

“I had fallen out of love with the game.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/brett-deledio-speaks-about-his-footy-heartache-family-tragedy/news-story/475dadf2ff04e978d68b54219fb6c199

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1259 on: September 19, 2019, 05:05:47 PM »
I understand the disappointment but he needs to get over it for his own mental well being.