Author Topic: Board changes required  (Read 16572 times)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
Board changes required
« on: July 06, 2016, 08:54:49 AM »
A major shake up to our board is required as they have demonstrated they are unable to take us to our next flag.  After 10 years of them in charge we are no closer to a premiership.  We as members need to call for change.  No football director relying on a football manager with no experience.  Extending Hardwicks contract after 3 consecutive EF humiliations when there was no rush to do so now finds us in a position where we need to pay out his contract.   Inability to get the jod done when chasing big name players.  Excuses and hiding behind the screen of stability.  The board is stale and lacks direction, ruthlessness and football nous to get us seriously competitive on the park.  The fish rots at the head - time for change.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Board changes required
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
 :clapping
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 12:01:28 PM »
cant get rid of penny and benny hill they have done such a great job

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 02:41:46 PM »
While I can see your viewpoint I really must take exception to a few facts you (and others on the Dunstall threads) have ignored.

We have a very experienced Football Director in Tony Free.
Now you can say that he is not providing much, especially since March rapped him over the knuckles following his critical interview some years ago, but by all objective facts he would meet a lot of the criteria - former captain, dual B&F winner.

While it is true that Richardson has no experience as a club Football Manager, he does have a resume that points to a skill set required to perform the role.
Dan is a strong member of the Tiger family with his father Barry a premiership player (67,69,74), coach (77/8) and President (85). Barry is also a Richmond Hall of Fame member.
Dan has experience as a player with 6 premierships in the VAFA.
Dan was a leading player agent including serving on the Agent Accreditation panel.
He was for over a decade involved with the major player management firms Elite Sports Properties where he was eventually a director and head of their football department.

Now you can be critical of the board's actions (and I have been, including nominations committee, constitutional changes and general board member manipulations plus staff appointments) to say that we do not have a director with football experience is totally wrong. Now there seems to be a general disquiet around the board not having come out and publicly shown stronger direction (ie change) and I understand that but I really, really don't want a free-for-all with various directors publicly lobbying for a wide range of changes and cutting each other and staff throats. A lot of the disquiet I feel is the press trying to generate internal ructions at Richmond to sell papers and, to the credit of the board, not succeeding.   

Likewise to say that our current Football Manager has no experience given his Richmond family, playing and player management history as well as experience as a manager is to ignore his skills outside a narrow focus on having done the exact same job before.

Having said previously that I do not want a public free-for-all, I do think that Benny Gale should come out and publicly defend Richardson like I've done here.
I also think Peggy O'Neal should come out and defend her board members, particularly Free and the efforts to turn around the club financially with special mention of PRO development and increased membership and general fan support.

I think this is a prime chance for the club to get on the front foot and as aggressively as they want, defend their own and stake out their territory. (might even be bloody good for morale)
WE ARE RICHMOND.
You attack one of us, you attack all of us and we will fight back, tooth and nail.       

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »
Tony Free is part of the history & tradition and finance committees. 

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 06:13:59 PM »
While I can see your viewpoint I really must take exception to a few facts you (and others on the Dunstall threads) have ignored.

Now you can say that he is not providing much, especially since March rapped him over the knuckles following his critical interview some years ago, but by all objective facts he would meet a lot of the criteria - former captain, dual B&F winner.

While it is true that Richardson has no experience as a club Football Manager, he does have a resume that points to a skill set required to perform the role.
Dan is a strong member of the Tiger family with his father Barry a premiership player (67,69,74), coach (77/8) and President (85). Barry is also a Richmond Hall of Fame member.
Dan was a leading player agent including serving on the Agent Accreditation panel.
He was for over a decade involved with the major player management firms Elite Sports Properties where he was eventually a director and head of their football department.

Now you can be critical of the board's actions (and I have been, including nominations committee, constitutional changes and general board member manipulations plus staff appointments) to say that we do not have a director with football experience is totally wrong. Now there seems to be a general disquiet around the board not having come out and publicly shown stronger direction (ie change) and I understand that but I really, really don't want a free-for-all with various directors publicly lobbying for a wide range of changes and cutting each other and staff throats. A lot of the disquiet I feel is the press trying to generate internal ructions at Richmond to sell papers and, to the credit of the board, not succeeding.   

Likewise to say that our current Football Manager has no experience given his Richmond family, playing and player management history as well as experience as a manager is to ignore his skills outside a narrow focus on having done the exact same job before.

Having said previously that I do not want a public free-for-all, I do think that Benny Gale should come out and publicly defend Richardson like I've done here.
I also think Peggy O'Neal should come out and defend her board members, particularly Free and the efforts to turn around the club financially with special mention of PRO development and increased membership and general fan support.

I think this is a prime chance for the club to get on the front foot and as aggressively as they want, defend their own and stake out their territory. (might even be bloody good for morale)
WE ARE RICHMOND.
You attack one of us, you attack all of us and we will fight back, tooth and nail.     

This board is leading us down the road to ruin and if anyone criticises them we are attacking the club???????????

Are you delusional? Redan any board is open to scrutiny, more so when we are underperforming which we are this year.

Trying to bully posters into not criticising the board means you have no answer to the criticisms Harry has raised all you did was trot out their C.V.'s

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 06:37:30 PM »
RT obviously finds it difficult to differentiate between the club and it's employees - quite a common affliction amongst our supporter base...
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 06:58:40 PM »
Correct.  We have given them the privilege of running our club and it's our responsibility to replace them if they are not performing.  The supporters and members and the history are the club.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 07:11:53 PM »

WE ARE RICHMOND.

And yet despite all this experience and supposed skill sets, decisions keep being made that cost the club success (many which dont pass the common sense test to the average fan on the street).

As for Dan Richardson, the sooner hes gone the better. Refer to my signiture below for his quote.

Boy oh boy.  >:( 

I could say more, but ill summarise. You and your opinion piece and the majority your incompetent mates within the club can go to hell.

Your Richmond is not Richmond. Your Richmond is meaningless KPI's, achievements not relating to premierships, excuses, jobs for mates and a participation trophy for all.

The true Richmond is a successful Richmond, and a Richmond which belongs to the fans. And certainly not one which puts up with, scripts and plays the members with excuses.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 08:59:22 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the CEO on the board? I would have thought Benny's 200 odd games count.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 09:32:53 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the CEO on the board? I would have thought Benny's 200 odd games count.

Yes he is now

Allowed to be since the constitutional changes a few years back.

For that one we can indeed blame the members  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 09:37:38 PM »
I was really intrigued by the appointment of Peggy as president filled with optimism of diversity from a gender and international experience point of view.

However as time goes on I can't honestly say I've been impressed with Peggy in how she has handled things publicly, how she has represented the club or lack thereof. We are the biggest, if not one of the biggest, sporting clubs in the country and yet our President is absolutely non existent in the public eye. As a long serving member, my opinion is that this isn't good enough. I feel so disconnected to our club compared to previous boards, what our club direction is and what the board stands for. All I can remember is the marketing spin of 3-0-75. Yet we read what other club's direction is in papers and open rebuilding discussions.
The media have free reign at our club battering it to pillar and post. Peggy is rarely seen defending or promoting our club. Compare this to other clubs and how much exposure their Presidents give their club it's an embarrassing difference.

Too many things at RFC just aren't good enough.
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 09:42:48 PM »
I was really intrigued by the appointment of Peggy as president filled with optimism of diversity from a gender and international experience point of view.

However as time goes on I can't honestly say I've been impressed with Peggy in how she has handled things publicly, how she has represented the club or lack thereof. We are the biggest, if not one of the biggest, sporting clubs in the country and yet our President is absolutely non existent in the public eye. As a long serving member, my opinion is that this isn't good enough. I feel so disconnected to our club compared to previous boards, what our club direction is and what the board stands for. All I can remember is the marketing spin of 3-0-75. Yet we read what other club's direction is in papers and open rebuilding discussions.
The media have free reign at our club battering it to pillar and post. Peggy is rarely seen defending or promoting our club. Compare this to other clubs and how much exposure their Presidents give their club it's an embarrassing difference.

Too many things at RFC just aren't good enough.

Are you referring to the supporters

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2016, 12:39:07 AM »
While it is true that Richardson has no experience as a club Football Manager. he does have a resume that points to a skill set required to perform the role.

Say it how you want this was a terrible appointment at the time and still is and your first line says it all.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 06:26:35 AM by WilliamPowell »

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »
We should have brought in Balmy and had Dan below him.