Author Topic: Josh Caddy has retired [merged]  (Read 129287 times)

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Josh Caddy [merged]
« Reply #345 on: May 31, 2018, 07:06:06 PM »
The funny thing about Caddy is that when he crossed to us, I seem to recall he indicated he was looking for more time in the middle of the round.

He doesn't seem to have got that, but I'll bet his enjoying his footy at the moment.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #346 on: May 31, 2018, 07:30:20 PM »
Id say his premiership medal helped lessen the disappointment somewhat.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #347 on: May 31, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »
Maybe Caddy's thinking about moving club's for more midfield time was really about playing a bigger role, getting more involved.

Certainly doing both things for us

Online Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2018, 10:42:43 PM »
Maybe Caddy's thinking about moving club's for more midfield time was really about playing a bigger role, getting more involved.

Certainly doing both things for us

I hear he’s heading to North.... Fact :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Flying Tiger Josh Caddy not looking forward (afl site)
« Reply #349 on: June 01, 2018, 01:59:45 PM »
Flying Tiger not looking forward

Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
Jun 1, 2018 12:37PM

JOSH Caddy will continue to bounce between the forward line and midfield as Richmond continues to get the most out of the in-form Tiger.

The former Gold Coast and Geelong player is in career-best form and is one of the most improved players in the competition, booting 23 goals from eight games so far this season.

Last week the 25-year-old kicked six goals – the most of any of his 125-game career – after teammate Jack Riewoldt went down with concussion early in the Tigers' win over St Kilda.

But don't expect Caddy's recent goal haul to mean he will be settling into attack, despite already passing his career-best season tally of 21 goals (which he kicked the past two seasons).

"Obviously it was documented I came here to play in the midfield and help out there and it transpired the other way and I played probably more forward," Caddy said on Friday.

"But I'm loving my footy at the moment and whatever 'Dimma' (coach Damien Hardwick) needs me to do [I'll do]. If Dustin (Martin) needs a rest down forward I'll go in the midfield, and if we need a forward target I'll play up in the forward line. There's no dramas either way."

Caddy has kicked a goal in every game he's played this year, including five games of three or more, but last week's was especially noteworthy given Riewoldt's absence. It meant the 186cm Caddy had to use his overhead marking and be the Tigers' focal point in a reworked forward half.

"I enjoyed it. Obviously we would have preferred to have had Jack down there, but when he went down I was the oldest player down there," he said.

"Cal Moore was playing his third game and he provided a great target. It was a challenge for me, but something I really enjoyed was to be a leader in the forward line and provide a target for the boys."

Richmond was two players down in its hard-fought win over the Saints last week, with premiership backman Bachar Houli also ruled out early with a groin injury, and was well beaten by West Coast in Perth in round nine.

Hardwick has admitted the reigning flag-winners aren't quite playing at their best, but Caddy said Essendon on Saturday night in the annual Dreamtime at the 'G clash presented a strong challenge.

"It's a long season and we've probably had a little flat patch, but we've still been OK. Essendon is going really well, they're going to be a massive challenge for us, which we always look forward to. A big game at the G in front of a huge crowd against an arch-rival, it's tailor-made for a big night," he said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-01/flying-tiger-not-looking-forward

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Caddy now a Dusty-style double threat (Australian)
« Reply #350 on: June 02, 2018, 11:55:49 AM »
Caddy now a Dusty-style double threat

Courtney Walsh
    The Australian
    June 2, 2018

After proving a matchwinner for Richmond last weekend, Josh Caddy received the ultimate compliment from premiership coach Damien Hardwick.

According to the Tigers mentor, Caddy has developed into a “double threat” capable of damaging opposition teams in two areas of the ground, just like his superstar teammate Dustin Martin.

“He is one of those players like Dustin. He is a double threat. We can play him on ball. We can push him up forward,” he said.

In a week where Kevin Sheedy, who served both Richmond and Essendon with distinction, received Legend status in the Australian football Hall of Fame, Caddy is the type of player he would like.

For the four-time premiership coach, who also led the Giants in their formative years, was lauded for developing versatile footballers capable of playing multiple positions.

Caddy may have believed he would spend most of his time in the midfield at Richmond but, to his credit, he is proving above average in multiple positions.

According to the AFL’S Official Player Ratings, Caddy is the most improved performer in 2018 heading into the “Dreamtime” game against the Bombers at the MCG tonight. He credits an improvement in his accuracy for that status, having overcome a form of the yips last season that made “the goals feel like they narrowed up to a metre wide”.

“Probably on paper, my year has looked better in terms of goals kicked, that sort of stuff,” he said.

“But internally, I am just doing the same things as I was last year, playing pretty much exactly the same role. Things are probably just coming off a little bit better for me.

“In terms of the goalkicking, I was kicking a lot of points last year and obviously that doesn’t look as good on paper, whereas this year I have been much more accurate.” Not surprisingly, he is more than happy to play wherever Hardwick fancies as long as he remains influential.

“Obviously, it was documented I came here to play in the midfield and help out there and it transpired the other way and I played probably more forward,” he said.

“But I’m loving my footy at the moment and (I’ll do) whatever ‘Dimma’ (Hardwick) needs me to do. If Dustin needs a rest down forward, I’ll go in the midfield, and if we need a forward target, I’ll play up in the forward line. There’s no dramas either way.”

It is no surprise Caddy is enjoying his time at Richmond given the contrast to the two seasons he spent on the Gold Coast at the start of his career.

In his second season at Punt Road, the 25-year-old has played in 22 wins from 30 matches and claimed a premiership. The Suns failed to win in his first 17 matches, with his maiden AFL victory coming in round 16 of his second year up north.

At a time when the Suns are struggling, Caddy has become the damaging presence they hoped he would become when selecting him with pick No 7 in the 2010 draft.

The Suns and Caddy were an unhappy pairing, with the former under-18 All Australian keen to return home almost as soon as he arrived due to his father suffering ill health.

In the end, he stayed a season longer before being traded to Geelong. Caddy was a consistent performer with the Cats, playing 71 games in four seasons.

But when Joel Selwood and Mitch Duncan were joined by Patrick Dangerfield, he was never going to command the midfield time he desired, hence the trade to a third home in just six seasons.

This appears a trade in which both clubs have won.

Caddy is a premiership player still blossoming, while the Cats landed the talented Brandan Parfitt and developing Quinton Narkle with the trade picks secured from Richmond.

But whether Caddy should persist with demanding more time in the midfield remains to be seen.

According to Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy, he is far more valuable to the Tigers as a forward who spends bursts in the centre than the other way around.

“He is an All Australian forward. He is never going to be one in the midfield role. Gee, is he playing some good footy in the last six weeks,” he said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

Caddy delivered against St Kilda last weekend when Jack Riewoldt was knocked out in the opening minute.

And he was similarly effective when called on in rounds 19 and 20 last year when the dual-Coleman Medallist was sidelined with an eye injury.

“Obviously we would have preferred to have Jack there but when he went down, I was the oldest player there … so it was a challenge for me and something I enjoyed as well, to be a leader down in the forward line and provide a target for the boys,” he said.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/caddy-now-a-dustystyle-double-threat/news-story/ec47c3a34b7ee52e9cb47bcf5dd7ac5c

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #351 on: June 25, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
After just eight games this year, Caddy had already surpassed his best goal return for an entire AFL season of 21. Has kicked a total of 28 goals for the season at an average of 2.5 per match. Also averages 17.8 disposals, 3.8 inside-50s, 3.7 marks and 3.5 tackles per game, which underlines how significant he’s been within Richmond’s line-up. 

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-06-24/midseason-tiger-talking-points

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #352 on: August 12, 2018, 11:10:46 PM »
It didn't get any attention due to Jack kicking 10 but Caddy hitting the scoreboard with 4 goals of his own as well as picking up 22 possies was great to see leading into the finals. Apparently, he's got some freakish set shot accuracy record this year. Somewhere around 95% or so. I remember a couple of weeks back it was 22 goals from 23 set shots.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #353 on: August 13, 2018, 04:19:21 AM »
Was a welcome return been a bit quiet.Need him firing with his mojo in finals we a better team.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #354 on: August 13, 2018, 06:17:33 AM »
Was a welcome return been a bit quiet.Need him firing with his mojo in finals we a better team.

Totally agree.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #355 on: August 13, 2018, 09:41:18 AM »
It didn't get any attention due to Jack kicking 10 but Caddy hitting the scoreboard with 4 goals of his own as well as picking up 22 possies was great to see leading into the finals. Apparently, he's got some freakish set shot accuracy record this year. Somewhere around 95% or so. I remember a couple of weeks back it was 22 goals from 23 set shots.

He missed a set shot last week against Geelong. That would make 2 misses from set shots for the year.

Overall he has now kicked 39.13 in 2018. Kicked 21.22 last year

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #356 on: August 17, 2018, 11:54:00 PM »
Up to 43 goals for the season and Richo on Ch7 said Caddy is 23.4 from set shots this year  :thumbsup.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #357 on: August 18, 2018, 01:26:50 AM »
Up to 43 goals for the season and Richo on Ch7 said Caddy is 23.4 from set shots this year  :thumbsup.

Personally, I think $1million per season for Lynch is too much to pay a third tall forward.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #358 on: August 18, 2018, 09:42:58 AM »
How cheap was this bloke? You know we are in good hands whenever he has the ball forward or if he is contesting it anywhere.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #359 on: August 18, 2018, 11:00:25 AM »

Personally, I think $1million per season for Lynch is too much to pay a third tall forward.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That is a good point  :P