Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 170189 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Shai Bolton [merged]
« on: November 25, 2016, 08:00:43 PM »
Welcome Shai

:)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 06:40:41 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 29. Shai Bolton
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 08:01:57 PM »
SHAI BOLTON
8/12/98, 178cm, 68kg
South Fremantle

The exciting and energetic half-forward is a chance to get through to the Pies' pick, and he would bring a new element to their forward set up. Bolton can do things few others in the draft can produce. He has a great natural leap that helps him soar over and into packs, and he's just as nimble at ground level. He's a run-and-carry player with genuine pace (he ran the 20m sprint in 2.95 seconds) and can skip away from congestion to break the game open.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-24/callum-twomeys-2016-phantom-draft

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 08:02:07 PM »
That was my mail......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 08:03:34 PM »
'He does things I've never seen': Why Shai Bolton stands out

Ben Guthrie 
afl.com.au
November 15, 2016

SHAI Bolton is one of those players who will regularly bring the crowd to its feet.

The wiry West Australian draft prospect is blessed with blazing speed, a supreme confidence in his ability and a natural instinct for the game.

"He does things on the football field that I've never seen another player do," South Fremantle player development manager Jason Pedulla says.

One of those audacious things he attempted was a handball behind his back to a teammate for his colts side early in the WAFL season.

It was the round three game against East Perth when the ball became lodged behind Bolton's back when he attempted the unthinkable.

"To even think about trying to do something like that is rare and to pull something like that off is even rarer – he's extremely enjoyable to watch," Pedulla says.

Those special attributes were on display in the NAB AFL All Stars game on Grand Final eve, as Bolton collected 16 touches, seven inside 50s and a goal in a standout performance.

Anyone who was watching from the Punt Road Oval stand that afternoon saw Bolton leave opponents in the dust with his run and carry and use his spring to haul in a footy he had no right to mark.

It was a performance that put him in top-20 contention in this year's NAB AFL Draft.

"As soon as I get the ball and I have space I try to take off," Bolton says.

"You've got to play to your strengths and that's mine."

Bolton, who turns 18 in December, followed that up with bags of four goals in two straight finals games for South Fremantle to end the season.

The 177cm small forward, who can also push onto the wing when required, also kicked seven goals from 20 disposals in round 22 to further underline his talent.

He also demonstrated mental resilience to bounce back from stress fractures in his back that kept him sidelined in his bottom-age under-17 season.

Bolton, who lived in Mandurah in 2016 after originating from Forrestdale just outside Perth, has a strong football pedigree. His father Darren played two matches for Fremantle in 1999, which he feels has been helpful as he prepares for his own football journey.

Despite his standout showings at WAFL level, Bolton – even by his own admission – was a little down on his output when playing for Western Australia in the Under-18 Championships.

The unassuming youngster still kicked five goals for the carnival but won just 27 per cent of his possessions contested – the second-lowest percentage of any player to play at least three games in division one.

Even still, AFL talent development manager Michael Ablett has watched Bolton play regularly this season and believes clubs would be silly to pass on such a talent.

"You've got to take the good with the bad," Ablett says.

"He's going to do some things where he might cost you a goal and then he might kick four in a quarter and win you a game too.

"That's what makes those guys so valuable and that's probably why they go a little bit earlier in the draft than what they maybe should."

To confirm his standing in the draft, Bolton ran 2.95 seconds in the 20m sprint test at the NAB AFL Draft Combine and placed second in the running vertical jump test (94cm off his left leg) behind only top-pick fancy Andrew McGrath.

Pedulla stressed to Bolton throughout the year to keep the natural flair in his game, but also to focus on doing the team things like chasing and pressuring the opposition.

"He needs to do the little things week in, week out and the flashy things are going to follow," Pedulla says.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-15/he-does-things-ive-never-seen-why-shai-bolton-stands-out

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:04:19 PM »
Welcome Shai and well done Doc, too.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 08:06:41 PM »
Finally some X factor....

Rioli and Bolton look delicious.
Go Tigers!

Offline Raoul Duke

• Premiership Captain
  • Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 08:07:51 PM »
Got some real X factor this kid.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 08:07:59 PM »
seems to have attributes you want off half back, so we may yet get the chorus from the played out of position choir
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2016, 08:09:48 PM »
Just massively relieved it wasn't Himmelberg more than anything...
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 08:14:44 PM »
Yarran mk 2  :shh :shh

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 08:16:08 PM »
Must be played in the back line for at least the first 5 years of his tenure as the experts say, before we figure out he is actually better as a forward, wingman.....

But by then though he will be traded back to WA or he will leave because we cant manage Aboriginal players...
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 08:19:48 PM »
 :lol
even worse, they may instruct him to look at the ball as he kicks it.......
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 08:21:56 PM »
Must be played in the back line for at least the first 5 years of his tenure as the experts say, before we figure out he is actually better as a forward, wingman.....

But by then though he will be traded back to WA or he will leave because we cant manage Aboriginal players...

I'd have thought he would be too skinny for you
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 08:22:07 PM »
Play him back, that's all that matters.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »
:lol
even worse, they may instruct him to look at the ball as he kicks it.......

Don't be ridiculous Al...this isn't Auskick....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.