Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 215999 times)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Shai Bolton [merged]
« Reply #1215 on: August 03, 2024, 03:43:01 PM »
But when we were winning flags he was getting praised for playing the same way. Imo just needs to spend more time playing midfield. As you’ve said yourself we lack dynamism and pace playing combinations of TT, hopper, Prestia, graham, Dow, etc. Bolton would absolutely be a POD in there.

As for the money thing, I really really hate that argument. Who exactly are we missing out on or underpaying due to the money Shai is on? You have to pay a minimum of something like 90% of the cap every year. If we get rid of all of dusty, Shai, Rioli, baker + retire grimes, Prestia, lynch, who exactly is going to be getting paid that deserves it along those names?

Imo now is the absolute perfect time to be front loading contracts, when there is a lack of talent and we are near the bottom of the ladder. That way in 3-4 seasons when we hopefully are attractive to some good players either by trade or free agency, we can offer very competitive deals because the guys we retain will on low amounts at the end of their deals.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1216 on: August 03, 2024, 03:46:03 PM »
Not interested- pee him off to Freo for picks

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1217 on: August 03, 2024, 03:53:17 PM »
But when we were winning flags he was getting praised for playing the same way. Imo just needs to spend more time playing midfield. As you’ve said yourself we lack dynamism and pace playing combinations of TT, hopper, Prestia, graham, Dow, etc. Bolton would absolutely be a POD in there.

As for the money thing, I really really hate that argument. Who exactly are we missing out on or underpaying due to the money Shai is on? You have to pay a minimum of something like 90% of the cap every year. If we get rid of all of dusty, Shai, Rioli, baker + retire grimes, Prestia, lynch, who exactly is going to be getting paid that deserves it along those names?

Imo now is the absolute perfect time to be front loading contracts, when there is a lack of talent and we are near the bottom of the ladder. That way in 3-4 seasons when we hopefully are attractive to some good players either by trade or free agency, we can offer very competitive deals because the guys we retain will on low amounts at the end of their deals.

His role was much less in our flag days, we didn’t rely upon him. Now we need to rely on him but we can’t because if his deficiencies and lack of leader ship. We can disagree on shai as a player, but one thing I think everyone has to admit is that he won’t be in our next premiership team, the whispers are he wants to go home, so why not trade him and gain top picks to build our next premiership list which of course requires top picks.  Much more to be gained by trading rather than holding

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1218 on: August 03, 2024, 04:00:24 PM »
Of course if he wants to go home then provided we receive a trade offer representative of his value and status then we should pull the trigger. But that applies to all players, no point holding onto anyone who doesn’t want to be here unless the team they want to go to doesn’t come to the party.

Also shais 25, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that in 4-5 years time we can back up and running and competitive again.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1219 on: August 03, 2024, 04:03:01 PM »
Yes it does apply to all players.
We should be better in 4-5 years but doubt we’d be competing for flags.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1220 on: August 03, 2024, 04:29:04 PM »
Probably not, but we also won’t be making much progress if we don’t have any mid-late 20 year olds to compliment all the cubs who we will get with our own picks naturally by sucking for the next few years.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1221 on: August 03, 2024, 04:31:50 PM »
Well unfortunately our only players that are good in that age bracket all want to leave (Rioli, Baker, Bolton) from those 3 I would rather keep Baker or Rioli over bolton because they are better leaders and set better examples.

OF course theres still hopper and taranto but honestly, does hopper have any impact on the game at all ? His acquisition has been a a massive failure.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1222 on: August 03, 2024, 04:40:00 PM »
We all love baker and sure he is a beater leader that there can be no doubt of. I don’t think he is anywhere near the player Bolton is. Bakes is a utility type, struggling with rebounding in defence throw him down there, need a burst in midfield throw him in at the centre, need some aggression in the forward line chuck him near goal. Perfect player for a great side, not so much in a bottom side.

As for Rioli, I’ve seen people say he’s a leader and should be next captain, I just don’t see it.

I would rank them as Bolton, Rioli and then bakes just based on their skillset. Happy to keep them all but also happy to let them go if that’s what they wish provided we get some very good compensation.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1223 on: August 03, 2024, 04:42:20 PM »
To me we need better leaders over better players.

If baker goes which by all accounts he will, who gets captain after Nank.. Taranto ? Only be default I would think. Taranto tries his heart out but is a serious butcher

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1224 on: August 03, 2024, 04:51:27 PM »
I’d have TT captain from next season. His bad kicking is overstated a bit imo, much more likely to turn the ball over when your quickly putting boot to ball out of a clearance.

Agree we are dereft of leaders though.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1225 on: August 06, 2024, 08:58:45 PM »
We all marvel at his X factor but I won’t lose any sleep if he goes . 2 first rounders thanks .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #1226 on: August 06, 2024, 10:09:00 PM »
I’d have TT captain from next season. His bad kicking is overstated a bit imo, much more likely to turn the ball over when your quickly putting boot to ball out of a clearance.

Agree we are dereft of leaders though.

His field kicking is atrocious - he's basically a glorified Shane Tuck at this point and I loved Tucky but he wasn't on Taranto's coin and didn't cost us the picks Taranto did.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1227 on: August 18, 2024, 07:42:45 PM »
At least giving us a few final genuine highlights on the way out in between the bludging & midless showboating.... :shh
« Last Edit: August 18, 2024, 07:58:04 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1228 on: August 19, 2024, 05:00:25 PM »
As expected. Has requested a trade

Lazy piece of poo stealing Dusty's fairwell. He should have done it after the suns game as he doesn't deserve a fairwell after this crap.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1229 on: August 19, 2024, 05:20:11 PM »
We're about to experience the next best thing to winning a granny.....draft night with the kind of hand usually only reserved for expansion clubs.... :gotigers

- Thomas Sowell