Author Topic: Ryan Garthwaite [merged]  (Read 41080 times)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
Come into a thread to read about a promising youngster and get greeted with 15 paragraphs from Claw telling us why Garthy should pee off to another club.  :scream
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Garthwaite won’t go anyway.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
I can't understand claw. One minute he says we have very little KPP depth and the next he suggests developing depth should leave us.....  :rollin
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ryan Garthwaite to make his debut [confirmed]
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2018, 12:45:20 AM »
Richmond teen Garthwaite ready for debut

Tessa Akerman
The Australian
12 June 2018

Richmond teenager Ryan Garthwaite is set to make his senior debut on Sunday’s big stage against Geelong at the MCG.

The fullback from NSW has been placed on standby for defender David Astbury, who is in doubt after damaging his ankle against Port Adelaide last Friday.

Richmond may have to make up to two adjustments to their back line as Nathan Broad is in some doubt after he pulled up from the 14-point loss with a sore back.

Garthwaite, who turns 20 later this month, is poised to become Richmond’s second debutant this year, following Jack Higgins, who played his eighth senior game against the Power.

Astbury, one of 10 Richmond players to have played in all 12 games this season, hurt his ankle mid-game but after medical treatment, returned to the field and played out the match. But despite a nine-day break in between games, Astbury is expected to struggle to be available, after playing in 50 consecutive matches.

Richmond general manager of football operations Neil Balme told The Australian Garthwaite warranted a senior game following his sound form in the VFL.

“He probably deserved his chance before now, to be honest,” Balme said yesterday. “He’s been in good touch and he’s a strong defender who takes a lot of intercept marks,” Balme said.

Garthwaite, who has spent 18 months honing his skills in the VFL, could be one of the bargains of the past two national drafts, having been taken with the overall 72nd selection in the 2016 draft.

But a potential debut for Garthwaite will be overshadowed by the likely return of Dustin Martin, who was ruled out last week with a minor calf issue. The midfield star has never missed consecutive matches because of injury.

His absence against Port ended a run of 83 consecutive games, as he had not missed a match since round 22, 2014, when hamstring soreness ruled him out. After making his debut in the opening round of 2010, Martin has played 189 of a possible 194 games, having missed three games with injuries and two because of an internal suspension.

Balme said Martin was scheduled to train with teammates today at Punt Road.

While Bachar Houli (groin) and Dion Prestia (calf) won’t return until after Richmond’s round 14 bye, the Tigers have several other options available to them against the Cats.

After gaining match conditioning in the VFL over the past month, Daniel Rioli appears certain to return this weekend for the first time since he required surgery on the foot he fractured in last year’s grand final.

The skilful forward kicked two goals in the lower grade at Williamstown on Sunday, along with fellow premiership forward Jacob Townsend, who is also a chance to be reinstated. He hasn’t played at senior level since being omitted from the round-10 team against St Kilda.

Richmond will have at least one forward position open up as back-up player Callum Moore appears certain to be demoted after being given a chance to show his worth in three straight games. He was held scoreless and to eight possessions against Port.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-teen-garthwaite-ready-for-debut/news-story/6c0e53220d6c6e7b44f8270c7d93901d
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 10:43:04 PM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Ryan Garthwaite to make his debut [confirmed]
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2018, 10:42:41 PM »
Confirmed.

Astbury out; Garthwaite in to make his debut.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-06-16/garthwaite-to-debut

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2018, 08:11:36 AM »
Good luck to him.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2018, 11:39:18 AM »
Well deserved and good luck young man

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2018, 12:45:03 PM »
Definitely well deserved. Crack some skulls Garthy
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2018, 02:04:35 PM »
With his family, Garth receiving his jumper from Emmett Dunne.

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1008196948308815872

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2018, 06:11:36 PM »
So what did we all think of Garth's debut effort?

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2018, 06:14:58 PM »
Yeah how did he go?

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2018, 06:16:05 PM »
Shaky early on & a few cock ups in the 3rd. Finished off a lot better though. Would imagine he goes out for Big David next week.

Good experience for him though. Played a fair bit on Hawkins and that is no easy task

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #118 on: June 17, 2018, 06:16:29 PM »
Bit of a shaky start but warmed to the game.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #119 on: June 17, 2018, 06:20:40 PM »
That's a tough first assignment.  I hope he gets confidence from it