Author Topic: Ryan Garthwaite [merged]  (Read 41004 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 72. Ryan Garthwaite
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »
Ryan's roaring success

Riverine Herald
Sarah Dean
12 July 2017

Former Corowa-Rutherglen footballer and 2016 AFL draft pick Ryan Garthwaite says he’s happy biding his time as he waits for an AFL debut with Richmond.

The 19-year-old told the Free Press he is “living his dream” after moving to Melbourne and playing for Richmond in the VFL since the start of the football season.

While the versatile defender is yet to play with the AFL side, he has been named best on ground four times for the Tigers in the reserves.

“Richmond is playing well at the moment and have a few of the best defenders in the league, but I will just keep playing my strongest in the reserves and keep enjoying it, when my time comes it will come,” he said.

The key defender received a ringing endorsement from the Tigers’ VFL captain Sam Darley, who said Garthwaite started the VFL season strongly, showcasing his defensive skills, first-rate intercept marking, and considerable appetite for the contest.

After playing his entire junior career as a forward with Corowa-Rutherglen and the Murray Bushrangers, Garthwaite had interest from as many as seven AFL clubs as a defensive prospect ahead of the 2016 national draft.

Garthwaite said he was enjoying the new position.

“It’s just a change of mindset, it doesn’t matter what end you are playing, you are just doing your job for the team,” he said.

It didn’t take long for Garthwaite to be initiated into footy club culture, with ‘Garth Vader’ an early nickname before Jack Riewoldt came up with ‘Daryl’, a reference to singer Daryl Braithwaite.

“I don’t mind the nickname, there are worse ones around,” he said.

When asked if he was a fan of Braithwaite’s music, Garthwaite explained that he only really knew one of his songs.

“I know Horses, but that’s really the only one I know,” he said.

Garthwaite admitted to being a little star struck when he first arrived at the AFL club.

“You walk into the club and you see the players that you have been looking up to for 11 years, so you sort of think to yourself, ‘gee am I meant to be here?’”

“Then you do realise that they are just normal blokes at the end of the day that play football for a living.

“The club has been amazing and I am enjoying every moment.

“It has long been my dream to play football for a living, so all of my hard work has paid off.”

Garthwaite counts round two against Sandringham as his best games with the VFL to date.

“I thought I led the ball well and we played well as a team,” he said.

Garthwaite also received a best on ground for the Tigers in their loss to Port Melbourne on April 29, finishing with 12 disposals, eight marks, three tackles and four spoils.

Recently he kicked his first two goals for the competition in a match against Essendon on July 1.

Garthwaite became the first player from the Ovens and Murray club to head to the top level since David Teague, who played in the Roos’ premiership side in 2000, was taken by North Melbourne at the rookie draft later that year.

http://www.riverineherald.com.au/regional/2017/07/12/99071/ryans-roaring-success

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2017, 04:27:34 PM »
How is this kid travelling ?.Really like to.look of him.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2017, 06:43:42 PM »
Comparison to team mates?

Rance= No
Grimes=Yes

Will be a solid defender, not flash but nonetheless very important. Won't fail through having a big head or big ego. Really shy, hardworking young man. Typical country boy.

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2017, 08:51:39 PM »

Will take broads spot next year  :shh

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2017, 08:59:49 PM »
 :shh
Lots of people name their swords......

dwaino

« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2017, 11:16:19 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Ryan Garthwaite [merged]
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2018, 01:11:51 AM »
From the Border Mail:

Garthwaite is hopeful of lining up alongside Dusty when the team is announced on Thursday.

“It would be amazing to come up and play,” Garthwaite said.

“I know the ground (Norm Minns Oval) inside out.

“If I’m not picked, I’ll be playing a VFL practice match.”

Garthwaite had an interrupted start to his first pre-season at Richmond, battling with a groin complaint, but was one of the Tigers’ best VFL players in the side which was narrowly beaten in the last year’s decider by Port Melbourne.

The young defender has continued to work closely with All-Australian captain and full-back Alex Rance, as well as Tigers’ premiership players David Astbury and Dylan Grimes.

“I can’t speak any higher of them and what they’ve taught me,” Garthwaite said.

“I’ve learnt so much from all the boys in general, but obviously working down there as key backs, what they’ve taught me about footy and everyday life is second to none.

“I’ve only been there for a year, but I’m looking to expand on that this season.”

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/5243384/ryan-garthwaite-predicts-another-huge-year-for-dustin-martin/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2018, 09:24:06 PM »

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2018, 10:17:21 PM »
Very sound defensively.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2018, 05:43:38 AM »
Newcomer Ryan Garthwaite also impressed Hardwick, who said the tall utility reminded him of David Astbury at the same age.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/a/39310862/richmond-tigers-pick-up-where-they-left-off-against-essendon/

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2018, 08:36:18 AM »
He can play either end so he should get a run soon. Quality player and bloke

dwaino

« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2018, 09:55:03 AM »
Was he played as a possible replacement for Broad? Thought he looked really good.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2018, 10:28:52 AM »
Good game.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2018, 11:19:50 AM »
Was he played as a possible replacement for Broad? Thought he looked really good.

Both about the same size.

:thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2018, 10:28:36 AM »
Garth's post-JLT1 game interview:

“It wasn’t planned on playing there [Ruck], but pinched-hit, helped out ‘Cholly’ (Mabior Chol) and loved every minute of it . . . loved competing and challenging myself in there. It was good,” he said.

“Versatility’s something that I like to have in my game, whether it’s playing forward, ruck or back.

“I think it’s something that is one of my attributes and, hopefully, it can be utilised in the future.

“But I love playing down back. It’s so easy to play with them (the defenders), with their communication and their voice. You know when to go, you know when to hold back . . .

“Being out there with all the backs was amazing, and first game for the Club is something I’ll never forget.”

Garthwaite has straightforward aims for the 2018 season.

“Just to keep improving, at VFL or AFL level. Learning off the best defenders in the league and the best team in the league. And playing my role for the team.”

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick paid tribute to Garthwaite in his post-match press conference last Saturday.

“I thought he was terrific today,” Hardwick said.

“The thing we love about this kid is he just competes.

“Whether he plays (senior football) this year or not I’m not too sure, but we love the way he’s building on his game.

“He’s going to be a long-term player for us, I feel.

“He reminds me very much of David Astbury at the same time in his career.

“So we’ve got really high hopes for ‘Garthy’.

“He’s just got to continue to believe in himself because we certainly believe in him as a group, as coaches and players.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-02-26/garthwaites-happy-homecoming