Author Topic: Ryan Garthwaite [merged]  (Read 41033 times)

FlashGordon

Re: Pick 72. Ryan Garthwaite
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2016, 09:33:29 AM »
Welcome to tigerland Ben Darrou...no, my mistake, Daryl Bratthwaite.   Solid one on one defender that cant kick...its groundhog day at tigerland. Thought we updated the recruiting strategy
He has an awkward kicking action but hits his targets. Disposal efficiency was over 70% IIRC.

Yes in the U18s he can get it to his targets. Lets see how he hits his targets in the big time.  That drop of the ball to boot will be tested to the max when the speed of the game goes up 10 fold.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2016, 10:48:25 AM »
Welcome to tigerland Ben Darrou...no, my mistake, Daryl Bratthwaite.   Solid one on one defender that cant kick...its groundhog day at tigerland. Thought we updated the recruiting strategy
He has an awkward kicking action but hits his targets. Disposal efficiency was over 70% IIRC.

Yes in the U18s he can get it to his targets. Lets see how he hits his targets in the big time.  That drop of the ball to boot will be tested to the max when the speed of the game goes up 10 fold.
I don't expect a superstar at pick 72. Give the boy a chance because he seems to have the most important quality - a will to do well.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

FlashGordon

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »

I don't expect a superstar at pick 72. Give the boy a chance because he seems to have the most important quality - a will to do well.

Our recruiters must be geniuses then, if they found a kid in the draft with this rare quality.   The kid has got his chance, I just dont like thinking that 2 of the 3 draftees are like ground hog days. Go in, good in the clinches all that usual stuff and we have ended up with Matt Thomas's and Townsends etc..why did FJ have any say in this draft is what concerns me. 

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2016, 11:23:24 AM »

Our recruiters must be geniuses then, if they found a kid in the draft with this rare quality.   The kid has got his chance, I just dont like thinking that 2 of the 3 draftees are like ground hog days. Go in, good in the clinches all that usual stuff and we have ended up with Matt Thomas's and Townsends etc..why did FJ have any say in this draft is what concerns me.

FJ is employed by the club so of course he has a say in who we draft.

I will let you in on a little secret and that being he is not the only recruitment officer employee of the club :shh

M. Clarke is now the overall chief and has the support of the following:
Luke Williams, Richard Taylor, FJ, B. Hartley and a host of support staff in each state contribute as a team to rank and select talent they believe fits in with what the coaching panel require.

Further to this, N. Balme and D. Richardson are involved to a lesser degree.

All in all the above would have many robust discussions on players as we all like and see different traits in players but overall, it is a team (group) decision.

We have made a lot of changes within the club recently so lets try and back them in for once :thumbsup

FlashGordon

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »

FJ is employed by the club so of course he has a say in who we draft.

I will let you in on a little secret and that being he is not the only recruitment officer employee of the club :shh

M. Clarke is now the overall chief and has the support of the following:
Luke Williams, Richard Taylor, FJ, B. Hartley and a host of support staff in each state contribute as a team to rank and select talent they believe fits in with what the coaching panel require.

Further to this, N. Balme and D. Richardson are involved to a lesser degree.

All in all the above would have many robust discussions on players as we all like and see different traits in players but overall, it is a team (group) decision.

We have made a lot of changes within the club recently so lets try and back them in for once :thumbsup

What??  the only name that is new in that is Balme, The rest have all been there for 3 years and failed dismally

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 11:53:11 AM »
Reckon his kicking is fine.  His technique looks strange / different, but his ball drop looks very solid as it's quite low onto the boot.  His DE is quite high and I hope we don't confuse him and affect his confidence by trying to change it.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 01:12:23 PM »

Did you expect to us to land a flawless prospect at pick 72?

FlashGordon

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 01:15:33 PM »

Did you expect to us to land a flawless prospect at pick 72?

yes :)

FJ's comments are quite concerning too:
 He has a little bit of work to do with his kicking technique, but we think we can modify that . . . He’ll be a really dour defender that rarely gets beaten.  We did expect GWS to take him at some stage, so we’re delighted that they didn’t . . . They left him for us, which was very fortunate.”

Out of all the players we have drafted over the years, who have we improved kicking wise?  As for being fotunate, GWS left him for us?  They had the pick after us when we took Graham then they added experience with De Boer at pick 58. So 14 picks later we were delighted they didnt take him?  I know they were delighted, they diidnt hesitate to read the name but how much currency that carries is in the lap of the gods, going by what FJ has produced over time.  What I dont like thinking is that Garthwaite was another that "execelled" in the game at Punt Rd. 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 01:32:37 PM by FlashGordon »

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 01:48:41 PM »
Kicking at RFC is woeful anyway, there is probably a kicking coach there who gets in our players heads and stuffs them up.
So who is our best kick at RFC, rance, dusty would be our best 2?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2016, 02:49:51 PM »
Lennon's the best kick on our list... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »
Lennon's the best kick on our list... :shh
Yes, but he is rarely on the field.... :shh

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2016, 02:55:53 PM »
Oh look... I need to make a correction -  he's the second best kick on our list after Yarran....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2016, 02:58:03 PM »
Oh look... I need to make a correction -  he's the second best kick on our list after Yarran....
Lucky Swan Districts!

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2016, 05:43:43 PM »
Out of all the players we have drafted over the years, who have we improved kicking wise? 

Rance, Soldo

FlashGordon

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »
Out of all the players we have drafted over the years, who have we improved kicking wise? 

Rance, Soldo

2 out of 454 aint a bad conversion rate