Author Topic: Trade targets 2017  (Read 192980 times)

dwaino

Re: Trade targets 2017
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2017, 10:27:29 AM »
If you grew up playing and living footy then Brisbane is the last place you want to be. There are only two sporting things Brisbane has any interest in and that's the Broncos and the Maroons. In my 20 years growing up there the only time footy got any airtime was during the three peat but that also coincided with an out of form Broncos.

The local talent is average and they will hardly give the locals a look in *ahem grumblegrumble*. The club is doomed and the sooner the AFL just accept it and consolidate their loss the better.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »
It's just a boring stuffing place, Brisbane will send you into a coma it is dull as dogshit second only to Canberra and Canberra has strippers
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2017, 11:55:38 AM »
'It has been a little bit tough': Schache opens up

afl.com.au
30 May 2017

BRISBANE Lions young forward Josh Schache admits the constant speculation surrounding his playing future has been "tough" to handle and "blown up out of nowhere".

The 19-year-old, whose contract expires at season's end, was last week granted leave from the Lions to return to his Victorian home, however the club stressed it was unrelated to his contract status.

After being axed from the Lions' squad in round nine, Schache had next to no impact in the NEAFL clash with Greater Western Sydney that same weekend, finishing with just four disposals, two tackles, two marks and one goal.

Schache said he was going through a difficult period in his second year at the elite level.

"It has been a little bit tough. I'd be lying if it wasn't tough," Schache told Channel Nine on Monday night.

"A lot of the speculation (that has) been going through the media has been blown up out of nowhere.

"(My manager) hasn't been shopping me, he hasn't been doing anything wrong so … it's been pretty hard to believe with what the media has been saying.

"I'm enjoying my time at the Brisbane Lions, I'll work with my manager and see how things go."

Schache, who was recruited by the Lions with pick No.2 in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft, is considering a possible return to Victoria.

The 199cm goalkicker said he was appreciative of the mid-season rest.

"I'm very thankful for what the club's been able to do for me, my family and working closely with my management," Schache said.

"I couldn't say anything bad about the Brisbane Lions, they've been awesome supporting me through this time with the family and I couldn't thank them enough."

Just over a week ago, Lions coach Chris Fagan said he felt "really sorry" for Schache because his contract status had affected his on-field performance.

The Lions' coach added first-round draftees should be locked into minimum four-year deals when they are first recruited.

Currently, players sign two-year contracts when they are drafted.

"They're not really mentally mature enough at this age to make those decisions and put themselves under this sort of pressure," Fagan told radio station 3AW, before turning his attention to Schache.

"I feel really sorry for him – he's a terrific young man, he trains hard and he wants to do his best.

"Unfortunately, right at the moment, on top of all the speculation he's lost a bit of form, so hopefully it'll come back in the weeks to come."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-29/it-has-been-a-little-bit-tough-schache-opens-up

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2017, 07:49:36 PM »
would cost and would be hard to budge out of WA. But Tom Barass is out of the eagles team again seems atm if theres a scape goat hes it.

He would suit us down to the ground as far as key defenders go.

The tall fwd who may not cost a lot and seems to be on the outer is Jack Redpath. Hes no A grader but hes a solid footballer kicked 20 goals in 10 games in 2016 and he may not cost the earth.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2017, 09:45:05 PM »
Redpath's also had three knee recos....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2017, 12:31:44 AM »
This Schache kid sounds like another girlsblouse-crybaby-mummy'sboy.

No wonder Richmond are "very keen".  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Shammo80

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #171 on: May 31, 2017, 03:21:08 PM »
If you grew up playing and living footy then Brisbane is the last place you want to be. There are only two sporting things Brisbane has any interest in and that's the Broncos and the Maroons. In my 20 years growing up there the only time footy got any airtime was during the three peat but that also coincided with an out of form Broncos.

The local talent is average and they will hardly give the locals a look in *ahem grumblegrumble*. The club is doomed and the sooner the AFL just accept it and consolidate their loss the better.
yeah true but  JBrown had no issues mate nor did a few other handy Victorians going up there

tony_montana

« Reply #172 on: May 31, 2017, 05:42:36 PM »
Helps when you walk into a good side

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #173 on: May 31, 2017, 07:12:47 PM »
Helps when you walk into a good side

Very true.

Brisbane = Adelaide in shorts.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #174 on: May 31, 2017, 08:24:29 PM »

Schache's father player up there, and I seem to recall that when he got drafted to the Lions, he was rapt. He seemed to be one of the few who found a positive in being drafted to the Lions.

The local talent across the board might just be average, but I wouldn't mind having access to their academy year in year out. They still produce some pretty darned good footy players up there.

dwaino

« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2017, 11:07:46 PM »

Schache's father player up there, and I seem to recall that when he got drafted to the Lions, he was rapt. He seemed to be one of the few who found a positive in being drafted to the Lions.

The local talent across the board might just be average, but I wouldn't mind having access to their academy year in year out. They still produce some pretty darned good footy players up there.

He did said that, but I don't think he is from there himself. I still maintain it's a junk joint for footy though. The locals don't care for it, in fact they vehemently oppose it and the AFL as a product is never ever going to succeed in such a hostile market. My entire time growing up there I copped "AFL" and "aerial ping pong." I went back for a funeral a couple years ago and remember listening to some knobs on their Triple M absolutely pile into our game for a good 15-20 minute. Add that to the team being rubbish for a decade and no wonder 18 year olds from interstate can'twait to leave once they get there. When I was going through there was no academy to nurture the talent but I did train a couple summers with Brisbane's rookies and other zone prospects as a junior. We were basically told if we didn't go as a zone selection to Brisbane then we were pretty much out of luck as the rest of the competition didn't rate Queensland talent which is probably a fair assessment. There have been some great players come out of there and of course not every single interstate player wants to leave, but their retention rate is always going to be worse than everyone else's for the reasons I mentioned and that's a massive blow when it's constantly first and second round picks wanting to leave.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2017, 11:25:59 PM »
They shouldn't have two teams that's for damn sure....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2017, 11:32:05 PM »

He did said that, but I don't think he is from there himself. I still maintain it's a junk joint for footy though. The locals don't care for it, in fact they vehemently oppose it and the AFL as a product is never ever going to succeed in such a hostile market. My entire time growing up there I copped "AFL" and "aerial ping pong." I went back for a funeral a couple years ago and remember listening to some knobs on their Triple M absolutely pile into our game for a good 15-20 minute. Add that to the team being rubbish for a decade and no wonder 18 year olds from interstate can'twait to leave once they get there. When I was going through there was no academy to nurture the talent but I did train a couple summers with Brisbane's rookies and other zone prospects as a junior. We were basically told if we didn't go as a zone selection to Brisbane then we were pretty much out of luck as the rest of the competition didn't rate Queensland talent which is probably a fair assessment. There have been some great players come out of there and of course not every single interstate player wants to leave, but their retention rate is always going to be worse than everyone else's for the reasons I mentioned and that's a massive blow when it's constantly first and second round picks wanting to leave.

I am certainly hearing you. I have felt for a long time that the AFL's success in both QLD and NSW is directly linked to the inflated artificial success of the teams based there. When the flags and competitiveness dry up, there seems to be a lack of real/core supporter interest and drive to bring more success. Hence COLA, academies, the $$$s and everything else that those clubs have been given to make them competitive.

I am a Sandgroper, but it really riles me that a footballing state like Tassie doesn't have a team in the AFL. I understand the argument that they would struggle to host a financially viable team, but they would need a lot less support than GWS or GC have received. And they would be a fair bit more competitive without a raft of concessions as well.

Mind you, we would probably lose both Jack and Nank, so maybe in 10 years or so.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #178 on: June 01, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »
The reason for the AFL expansion into NSW and Queensland is population numbers.

Right now roughly half of Australia's population lives in NSW and Queensland. Specifically the coast region from Wollongong to the Sunshine coast. That is 12million people.

Growth predictions are for this to double in the next 30 to 60 years.

The AFL are not aiming at converting the people who are there now. It is targeting the people who are not yet even born. Very long term strategy in play.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #179 on: June 01, 2017, 11:04:24 AM »
They shouldn't have two teams that's for damn sure....

AGREE 100%
Unleash the tornado