Author Topic: Dustin Martin's contract talk thread / Dusty a Tiger for next 7 years [update]  (Read 168345 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Sounds like utter BS anyway.

Watch Dusty every time we kick a goal or win a game.

Angry? The bloke looks happy as Larry.

I'm still convinced he will stay, and any contract offered to him can be matched, and to be honest it's worth matching basically any offer made to him. Ball is in our court and I suspect he will do the right thing by re-signing with the Tiges.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Where's there's smoke...

It's a real concern how this is playing out IMO

We have a few clubs  with bigger cheques than us

It's a lie, don't be so gull a bull
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Where's there's smoke...

It's a real concern how this is playing out IMO

We have a few clubs  with bigger cheques than us
It's a lie, don't be so gull a bull gullible :cheers
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Pretty sure HRT just wrote it like that for effect.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Lol 65 probably hasn't seen Waynes World, too busy watching communist propaganda films on the ol' 8mm  :shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Doesn’t Barrett talk some crap?' Balme slams Dusty report (SEN)
« Reply #275 on: July 07, 2017, 07:16:33 PM »
And on SEN Balmey's just gone whackety, whack, whack at Barrert over his "crap" from last night's footy show  :clapping
Here's the audio of what Balmey said  :clapping.

AUDIO: https://audioboom.com/posts/6083427-neil-balme-responds-to-damien-barrett-on-hungry-for-sport

"Doesn’t he talk some crap?” Balme slams Dusty report

By SEN
7 July 2017

Richmond football boss Neil Balme has launched a scathing attack after Damian Barrett last night reported that resentment from Dustin Martin’s contract talks in 2013 is behind the current protracted negotiation.

“Richmond effectively pulled its initial offer for Dustin Martin and as such re-tabled an offer with less financial component to it, so he stayed at Richmond for less money, but the anger stayed with Carr and his management,” Barrett said on Channel 9's The Footy Show.

“(They) re-contracted in 2015, but with the knowledge that he would be a free agent at the end of this season.”

“The clubs that are now pitching for Dustin Martin’s services are saying to us that this time around clearly in their eyes with Ralph Carr having the clear whip hand in these negotiations, unlike last time, that’s to them is the reason the protracted negotiations have been the way they are and there is a very long memory at play here.”

This morning, Balme slammed Barrett’s report telling SEN’s Hungry For Sport that it's “meaningless rubbish”.

“It’s just one more cross against his name. Doesn’t he talk some crap?” he said.

“He’s reporting what he thinks he wants to know – he’s making half of that crap up.

“They have to say something to make themselves meaningful – and I get it – but it’s just horrible…its meaningless rubbish.

“He’s writing a drama novel.

“Unfortunately he’s in a terrible position because they (Channel 9) make him the news breaker – and I actually get on well with him as a bloke, but as a news breaker (I’m) not that happy.”

Balme said that while he understands the interest in Martin’s future, Richmond will not be playing it out publically.

“Everyone wants it all to be public, it’s between us and the player and that’s what it was with Gary (Ablett).

“It simply comes down to where he (Dustin) wants to play, it’s as simple as that so he’ll make that decision.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/07/07/doesn-t-he-talk-some-crap-balme-slams-dusty-report/

tony_montana

I love balmey

fun fact - That germ Barret has been 'blacklisted' by collingwood and the bulldogs

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why doesn’t Dustin Martin just sign the deal at Richmond?: Lloyd (H-Sun)
« Reply #277 on: July 07, 2017, 07:25:27 PM »
Dustin Martin contract: Why doesn’t he just sign the deal at Richmond? Matthew Lloyd

MATTHEW LLOYD,
Herald Sun
7 July 2017

IT’S hard to understand why the most in-form player in the game, Dustin Martin, and his manager, Ralph Carr, will not discuss his contract with Richmond until the end of the season.

Martin employs Carr to get him the best possible deal, so I do not begrudge him holding out on Richmond while Martin puts together a career-best season.

But why put talks off until year’s end?

Martin has an offer in front of him worth $1 million a season for six years with the Richmond Football Club. It is there for him to sign any day he chooses.

Martin could have another five best on grounds and win the Brownlow Medal, but that offer from Richmond wouldn’t change much at all. You can only pay one player so much in your salary cap and Richmond would be derelict in its duty if it paid him any more than that.

North Melbourne or another club may be willing to pay him $1.25 million per season but when you put the two deals side-by-side, the extra money he receives will be insignificant in comparison to the cult figure status he has at Richmond as well as the relationships he has formed with his coach Damien Hardwick and teammates during eight years at Tigerland.

Martin has been brilliant for Richmond, but Richmond has been even better for Martin.

Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt and Alex Rance not only form the leadership group of the Richmond Football Club, but they are also the face and spokesmen for the playing group.

In an area of game that is forever growing, Martin has been shielded from the media because he has never felt comfortable or wanted to do it and having three champions at the club alongside him, it hasn’t hurt the club.

Take the offer at North Melbourne and it would be a different story.

What price do you put on that if you were another club? Martin is never going to come in and be the captain like Chris Judd was at Carlton or sell the club like Patrick Dangerfield does at Geelong. That must be taken into account when making an offer to a player that would receive the biggest contract in your club’s history.

This is Martin’s biggest payday and it will be life changing. It should set him up for the rest of his life so it’s not a decision he would be taking lightly along with his manager and family, but unless he is seriously considering leaving, which would surprise me, I wonder why this needs to be dragged out like this.

Martin plays at the MCG in front of more than 50,000 adoring fans on almost a weekly basis. He is part of a top-four side bound for finals. His team was the fourth-youngest to take the field last weekend and has plenty of scope for growth. He is surrounded by superstars who ease his off-field pressure.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that he will pocket more than $1 million a year to be in that environment. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side of the fence, which is why waiting until possibly October (if the Tigers make it all the way to the Grand Final) is too big a distraction.

Richmond CEO Brendon Gale said a number of weeks ago that the club would like an answer from Martin and his management sooner rather than later. But that is not going to happen.

Richmond wouldn’t want to upset the apple cart right now by demanding an answer, but it may suggest to Ralph Carr that they would like to know by September 1 so this allows it time to decide if it will match offers from other clubs or turn its attention to raising the stakes in luring the Giants’ Josh Kelly as Martin’s replacement.

Martin is a super player and at 26 is at the peak of his powers. Martin is ranked No.1 at Richmond for disposals, clearances, inside 50s, contested possessions, metres gained and score involvements in 2017.

Martin’s contract status isn’t affecting his form or Richmond’s yet and I say yet as that could change.

Everyone in football knows that Martin and Richmond are the perfect fit for each other.

Nobody wants to see the charade that Carr took Martin on a number of years ago when he was out of contract and toured Greater Western Sydney’s facilities when both the Giants and Tigers knew very early on that Martin never intended to play there.

The sooner Martin signs with Richmond the better.

It would be a wonderful outcome for the Tigers and an even better one for Martin.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/matthew-lloyd-questions-why-dustin-martin-continues-to-delay-contract-talks-with-richmond/news-story/5970223b73865dcc234b0c918b40e57f

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Neil Balme on Dustin Martin's contract (7sport)
« Reply #278 on: July 07, 2017, 07:27:22 PM »
Neil Balme on Dustin Martin re-signing

7Sport
July 7, 2017, 5:57 pm

Richmond football boss Neil Balme has urged Dustin Martin not to follow in Gary Ablett’s footsteps.

Tiger star Martin is believed to be weighing up three offers from rival clubs, who are champing at the bit to snap him up once he becomes a free agent at the end of the 2017 season.

Ablett is one of Geelong's favourite sons, playing 192 games for the Cats before taking up a big-money deal with Gold Coast.

It was hoped that Ablett's presence would translate into on-field success for the Suns, but the move has backfired somewhat and Ablett requested a trade back to the Cats last year.

The request was denied and Ablett was believed to be on the outer with numerous teammates at the time.

Speaking on Channel 7's Front Bar on Thursday night, Balme used Ablett as an example of why Martin should re-sign with Richmond.

"You look at Gary Ablett, he played his 300th game in front of about 100 people the other night," Balme said.

"Should you have stayed at Geelong or should you have taken the dough?"

North Melbourne have reportedly offered Martin a long-term deal believed to be worth at least $1 million a year.

The deal would be expected to last until at least 2022 for the 25-year-old goal-kicking midfielder, who has previously told Richmond he will not make a decision on his future until the end of the current season.

Richmond have offered Martin a five-year deal believed to also be worth $1 million per season.

Balme previously said the club was in constant contact with Martin's agent and was not aware of specific offers from rival clubs.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/a/36301355/neil-balme-on-dustin-martin-re-signing-gary-ablett-geelong-cats/#page1

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Lol 65 probably hasn't seen Waynes World, too busy watching communist propaganda films on the ol' 8mm  :shh

Two things

1. WTF is "Waynes World"?

2. I have an old 8mm projector in the cupboard. An old Eumig Mark 8.

:thumbsup
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

tony_montana

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Two things

I thought you would have had a top of the line Model 414 PD Bell & Howell Zoomatic Director Series Camera with Varamat 9 to 27mm F1.8 lens and leather carrying case. I lent mine to a guy called Zapruder who went to Dallas in 1963 and nonchalantly used it..... ;D
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Oh no..."Luke" has the hot sauce.....

:shh

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Hmm looks like he has seen a fair bit of hot sauce

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame

Two things

Wayne Campbell was the central character in Waynes world
Unleash the tornado