Author Topic: Alex Rance, think of your legacy and stop the diving: Kane Cornes (Adel. Addy)  (Read 10302 times)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Alex Rance, think of your legacy and stop the diving

Kane Cornes,
The Advertiser
25 July 2017

ALEX Rance is a phenomenal footballer but he has a decision to make and he needs to make it quickly.

Does he want to be remembered as one of the AFL’s greatest and toughest defenders? Or one of the best defenders who is also a diver?

Toby Greene had another brain fade. His jumper punch to the face is indefensible but Alex Rance milked it for all it’s worth and not for the first time this year.

In round 13, the AFL refused to punish the Richmond defender for his blatant acting when hit with a push from Buddy Franklin, which sucked in the umpire, who rewarded Rance with a free-kick.

Disappointingly the AFL chose not to warn Rance under the staging laws at the Match Review Panel.

This behaviour is not exclusive to Rance.

On Friday night, Patrick Dangerfield was able to extract a free-kick reversal, when he collapsed as Hugh Greenwood gently bumped him running by.

The action sucked in the gullible umpire, but not the 50,464 strong in attendance at the Adelaide Oval who were furious with the decision.

Adelaide legend and dual Norm Smith medallist Andrew McLeod took to twitter to show his disgust at the decision referencing a basketball term and describing Dangerfield’s acting as a “flop”.

Melbourne young gun Clayton Oliver has also been guilty of staging this year and the career and reputation of North Melbourne forward Lindsay Thomas has long suffered as the result of trying milk free kicks.

Jordan Lewis spoke of his embarrassment after an acting incident in 2014 involving Brendon Goddard.

He fell theatrically to the ground after being hit in the chest by Goddard and said in the aftermath it was uncomfortable to watch back.

“I don’t want to a get reputation for that.” Lewis said.

Even Chad Wingard, who regularly risks his safety running back with the flight of ball, was guilty of a poor staging effort in Port Adelaide’s round 12 loss to Essendon.

The biggest regret from my own playing career is the staging phase I went through.

As a young tagger I was often the target of physical attention as the opposition tried to protect their best player.

After one particular match in which I was tasked with tagging Ben Cousins and Daniel Kerr was on a mission to physical accost me at any opportunity.

Frustrated by the lack of protection from the umpires, my midfield coach at the time, the late Phil Walsh, sat me down and basically said the only way to stop the attacks is to go to ground and exaggerate the contact.

For a number of years this tactic often worked resulting in free kicks off the ball and left the opposition agitated.

However, I got into a habit I couldn’t get out of and later in my career even when I deserved a free-kick the umpires often let it go clearly aware of my reputation.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/kane-cornes/kane-cornes-alex-rance-think-of-your-legacy-and-stop-the-diving/news-story/659d6cc71a02c22975493f5e16f2ad0c

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
This guy is so desperate to be in the headlines it's sad. An article titled about rance then he talks about anyone but rance ( and himself )

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
True. Reality that act got a 2 week suspension so he'd have been better off finding another catalyst for his column.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Why didn't he bring up Stevey J's dramatic back flip to get the free in the first place?  If that wasn't a dive for a free I don't know what is
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
One of the best was from that st kilda flog who dropped quicker than a loaded Cotch slapped him in the belly

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
........... Moving on ...........
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Was a genuine punch to the jaw.

Don't think there was any over the top acting.

VS Franklin maybe, but oh well.

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Kane Cornes had another go at Rance this morning. Said he should be fined.

The rest of media is jumping on the incident too.

Rance savaged over dive

News Corp.
3 June 2018

Richmond defender Alex Rance is a multiple All-Australian and widely regarded as one of the games greatest backmen of all time.

Unfortunately he had a moment to forget during his sides resounding victory over Essendon at the MCG on Saturday night.

As the third quarter entered the final 90 seconds Essendon launched the ball deep inside their forward 50 where Rance and opponent Shaun McKernan were jostling for position.

With the ball drawing closer McKernan bodied up to Rance and after feeling a faint touch on his side, Rance went flying forward like a superhero soaring off a building.

The backlash came in thick and fast for the Tigers defender with former player and now media personality Kane Cornes delivering a scathing whack.

“The worst free kick of the year. How an umpire can be sucked in by a blatant attempt from Rance, who let’s face and be honest a great player but he has a history with staging,” Cornes said.

“How the umpire can fall for this, he’s channelling his best superman impersonation.

“Too strong in the marking contest, McKernan judges it better. Rance does a move that we’re more likely to see in soccer and he’ll wake up and be embarrassed and Michael Christian should rightly penalise him for that.”

AFL media’s Nat Edwards also stated “he went down a little too easily in my opinion” on Sunday morning’s AFL Game Day.

The dive wasn’t the only one seen during the round with Sydney’s Callum Sinclair also drawing backlash after flailing backwards after marginal contact from Carlton’s Patrick Cripps.

Match Review Officer Michael Christian handed Sinclair a fine of $1000 for staging and now all eyes will turn to see the outcome from Rance’s act.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-sunday-live-coverage-from-todays-games/news-story/77d7a7b652802f0b3175bc390da29117

Offline ¾ T!geɹ

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Hate it when players dive, poos me to tears.
Toughen up nugget heads.
Diving makes me think of soccer players that really go nuts and over the top with their acting, don't bring our game to that level PLEASE!
The third quarter, the premiership quarter, it's Dusty time. He starts to shine and then delivers in the most AWESOME fashion.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
No excuse for Rance BUT I actually think it was a reaction to an event last week where he got an obvious push in the back by a saints forward and didn't get a free.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
I don't care.

Just thought it was nice to see us get a free kick
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Kane Cornes had another go at Rance this morning. Said he should be fined.

The rest of media is jumping on the incident too.

Rance savaged over dive

News Corp.
3 June 2018

Richmond defender Alex Rance is a multiple All-Australian and widely regarded as one of the games greatest backmen of all time.

Unfortunately he had a moment to forget during his sides resounding victory over Essendon at the MCG on Saturday night.

As the third quarter entered the final 90 seconds Essendon launched the ball deep inside their forward 50 where Rance and opponent Shaun McKernan were jostling for position.

With the ball drawing closer McKernan bodied up to Rance and after feeling a faint touch on his side, Rance went flying forward like a superhero soaring off a building.

The backlash came in thick and fast for the Tigers defender with former player and now media personality Kane Cornes delivering a scathing whack.

“The worst free kick of the year. How an umpire can be sucked in by a blatant attempt from Rance, who let’s face and be honest a great player but he has a history with staging,” Cornes said.

“How the umpire can fall for this, he’s channelling his best superman impersonation.

“Too strong in the marking contest, McKernan judges it better. Rance does a move that we’re more likely to see in soccer and he’ll wake up and be embarrassed and Michael Christian should rightly penalise him for that.”

AFL media’s Nat Edwards also stated “he went down a little too easily in my opinion” on Sunday morning’s AFL Game Day.

The dive wasn’t the only one seen during the round with Sydney’s Callum Sinclair also drawing backlash after flailing backwards after marginal contact from Carlton’s Patrick Cripps.

Match Review Officer Michael Christian handed Sinclair a fine of $1000 for staging and now all eyes will turn to see the outcome from Rance’s act.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/afl-sunday-live-coverage-from-todays-games/news-story/77d7a7b652802f0b3175bc390da29117

Oh no Nat Edwards has criticized Rance, of course Nat has played AFL at the highest level so she would know.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Essendon players dont cheat ......oh wait .
Unleash the tornado