Author Topic: Preliminary Final: Richmond vs GWS @ the MCG --- Sat. Sept. 23 @ 4.45pm  (Read 41036 times)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
Did the tiger's play their Grand Final last week???? that's what a Giant's fan on SEN is claiming

He's in for a rude shock.
a cat nugget of wisdom from a fan of a cardboard cutout club in it's infancy.  I would like to see his face when his team runs out next week and our crowd hit the brown note for em.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
The MCG website says they are expecting 90k to turn up  :gotigers.

-----------------------------------------

Opening times

Gates
Public            2.30pm
AFL Reserve   2.30pm
MCC Reserve  1.30pm

Parking

Gate 3: 12.00pm
Gate 5: 1.00pm
Gate 6: 1.00pm
Gate 7: 11.30am

Estimated attendance

Tickets

Tickets will be on sale to the general public from Monday September 18 at 2.00pm.

Reserved seats for AFL members go on sale on Tuesday September 19 at 9.00am. Note: Bronze AFL members do not have access to this match.

CAR PARKING ADVICE

With a large crowd expected, car parking in Yarra Park is limited.

Drivers should arrive as early as possible, or seek an alternative transport method, as space will fill before match time.

Special offer: Footy fans can also park at Le Garage (114 Flinders St) at a discounted rate of $8 by scanning your event ticket at the pay station.

Arrive early

Security measures such as bag checks and patron scanning will again be in place as fans make their way into the stadium.

This process will take time, so please be patient - and limit the number of bags you bring. Each bag will be inspected, so the more bags you bring the longer it will take.

It is recommended that fans arrive by around 3.00pm-3.30pm, as those who arrive later may miss the teams run out and/or the start of the match.

Help us help you

Security and event staff are doing an important job, so please help them by co-operating at all times.

Be our eyes and ears: If you see something you think is suspicious, immediately inform event staff, a security guard or police.

Cheer squad seating

Richmond: Bay M3
GWS GIANTS: Bay M33

http://www.mcg.org.au/whats-on/events-calendar/2017/september/afl-preliminary-final-richmond-v-gws-giants

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Warm-ish but gusty winds and showers on Saturday according to the Bureau:

Saturday 23 September

Summary
    Min 11
    Max 21

A few showers.
    Possible rainfall: 1 to 6 mm
    Chance of any rain: 70%

Melbourne area

Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers developing from midday. Winds northerly 25 to 35 km/h turning west to northwesterly 20 to 25 km/h during the day.

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Despite just one game in 26 days, Richmond is confident its players are primed for Saturday's prelim final with GWS. @AyrtonWoolley #9News

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/9NewsMelb/status/909699730422112256

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Check out the comment by garrybarry. :o

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/second-preliminary-final-richmond-v-gws-giants-saturday-september-23-mcg-4-45pm.1177446/page-2

I like the IanW response.

Spoken like someone who actually knows something about footy.

Interesting the post about only 1200 GWS tickets sold  ;D
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
crying to the umpires before the ball has bounced, fmd he has to be kidding.

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I am pumped! I was in a meeting and I was sweating about tickets but a mate hooked me up. I also happen to live in Richmond so a few pre drinks and travellers on the way to the G is in order. Can't wait to get amongst it!!!

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
I am pumped! I was in a meeting and I was sweating about tickets but a mate hooked me up. I also happen to live in Richmond so a few pre drinks and travellers on the way to the G is in order. Can't wait to get amongst it!!!

:gotigers
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Sheedy backs Giants to handle Tiger Army ahead of club's first MCG final (H-Sun)
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2017, 03:08:14 AM »
Kevin Sheedy backs Giants to handle Tiger Army ahead of club's first MCG final

Chris Cavanagh,
Herald Sun
19 September 2017

INAUGURAL GWS coach Kevin Sheedy says he would be disappointed if the Giants are overawed by an expected 90,000-strong Tiger army at the MCG on Saturday.

Ticket sale websites went into meltdown on Monday as more than 75,000 Richmond members snapped up seats for the match at a rate of up to 1200 a minute.

A record 95,028 fans attended the Tigers’ qualifying final against Geelong — most in yellow and black — and the Richmond roar around the MCG is set to be even louder this weekend with only a few thousand Giants fans set to travel south for the clash.

GWS has played in front of average crowds of 20,819 this season, with the biggest attendance it has ever had for a game being 60,222 for its qualifying final clash with Sydney at ANZ Stadium last year.

But Sheedy, who also played 251 games for Richmond, said the crowd would be only a small factor in the contest and GWS had to tackle the first MCG final in its short history sooner or later.

“I can only go back to when I played. I never worried about the crowd, I just worried about the ball,” Sheedy said.

“I’d be disappointed if they were (overawed), but it will be a great experience for them. They’re a six-year-old club. You’ve got to start sometime in the journey, coming to the MCG.

“The power of concentration is fantastic but a lot of people don’t talk about it. That’s all you’ve got to do in this situation. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a Giants player or a Richmond player, you just need total concentration on the ball when you have it and when you have to get it back.”

While GWS has won just one of 11 matches at the MCG in its short history, Richmond has made the ground a fortress this season both due to its game style and large supporter base.

The Tigers have won 10 of 12 games at the venue in front of average crowds of 62,959, with their two losses coming to Sydney (nine points) and Fremantle (two points).

Statistics show Richmond defends the MCG better than any other team, the club conceding an average of just 67.9 points a game which is more than 20 per cent better than the AFL average of 85 points.

The Tigers also rate better than the AFL average for restricting opposition inside-50 counts and end-to-end transitions at the ground.

Sheedy was coy when asked about his allegiance for Saturday’s match given his close ties to both clubs.

“I think I’ll wear a Collingwood scarf,” he joked.

RICHMOND AT THE MCG

P12 W10 L2 131.4%

1 Carlton — Won by 43

2 Collingwood — Won by 19

3 West Coast — Won by 11

5 Melbourne — Won by 13

8 Fremantle — Lost by 2

10 Essendon — Won by 15

13 Sydney — Lost by 9

14 Carlton — Won by 26

18 GWS — Won by 19

20 Hawthorn — Won by 29

23 St Kilda — Won by 41

41 QF Geelong — Won by 51

Source: CHAMPION DATA

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/former-gws-coach-kevin-sheedy-backs-giants-to-handle-tiger-army-ahead-of-clubs-first-mcg-final/news-story/3a298b612855c9d06183cfe6f80079b9

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Mega-preview: Second preliminary final, Richmond v GWS (afl site)
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2017, 03:16:38 AM »
Mega-preview: Second preliminary final, Richmond v GWS

afl.com.au
19 September 2017

SUMMARY

The fairytale team of this year's finals takes on the game's most talented list in what shapes as an intriguing battles of defence and offence. If defence wins premierships, Richmond is in the box seat to reach a historic Grand Final. But the hard run and slick attack of GWS can never be discounted and it travels to the MCG with experience in a preliminary final after last year's loss to the Western Bulldogs. The Tigers will go in with just one player (Josh Caddy) who has played this deep into September, but they are battering down hurdles this season and look like a team on a mission. With more than 90,000 fans set to cheer them on, it will take something special from GWS to stop the Tigers' charge.

WHERE AND WHEN: MCG, Saturday September 23, 4.45pm AEST

WHAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR?

Round nine: GWS 11.12 (78) d Richmond 10.15 (75) at Spotless Stadium

It was heartbreak for the Tigers, who lost their third straight match by less than a goal. GWS staged a stunning comeback, with Jeremy Cameron kicking a goal with just over a minute to play. The Tigers had looked like winners moments earlier when debutant Shai Bolton snapped a goal, only to have it overturned on review.

Round 18: Richmond 9.10 (64) d GWS 6.9 (45) at the MCG

The Tigers jumped back into the top four with a 19-point win in the rain at the MCG, coming back from 20 points down at quarter-time. Dustin Martin was the star with 31 possessions (17 contested) and 11 clearances. The rain suited the hard-tackling Tigers, who came into their own in the wet.

LAST FIVE TIMES

R18, 2017, Richmond 9.10 (64) d GWS 6.9 (45) at the MCG
R9, 2017, GWS 11.12 (78) d Richmond 10.15 (75) at Spotless Stadium
R19, 2016, GWS 17.9 (111) d Richmond 3.5 (23) at Manuka Oval
R14, 2015, Richmond 10.18 (78) d GWS 10.9 (69) at the MCG
R19, 2014, Richmond 13.11 (89) d GWS 8.14 (62) at the MCG

WHAT TO WATCH FOR

Richmond
1. Nick Vlastuin is the player Richmond will be attempting to play loose across half-back. He was magnificent against Geelong with 10 intercept possessions and 10 marks, and the Giants will no doubt try to keep him accountable.

2. Crucial in the Tigers' round 18 win was their ability to limit Josh Kelly's effectiveness. The smooth-moving Giant went at 69.6 per cent efficiency with the ball, with the Tigers pressuring him at every chance.

3. Locking the ball inside 50 is the Tigers' best form of defence. Watch for the midfielders to surge the ball forward with deep entries and let the small forwards go to work with their tackling pressure. They had 21 inside 50 tackles to four against Geelong.

Greater Western Sydney

1. Phil Davis will be looking to recreate his sterling job on Jack Riewoldt from round 18, when he restricted the spearhead to two goals and three marks. He'll have help from Aidan Corr, but will the Giants go in smaller in defence, using Adam Tomlinson elsewhere?

2. The Giants will need to get their running game going. In round 18 against the Tigers they had one running bounce for the match. They had 11 in the semi-final win against West Coast.

3. The Giants will target one of the Tigers' star midfielders as a group, but a hard tag on Dustin Martin is unlikely. The most defensively minded of the midfielders will be Stephen Coniglio, who still racked up 35 possessions against the Eagles.

THE SIX POINTS

1. The Giants have a statistical advantage with their clearance game. They rank No.1 for clearances (42.5 a game) and No.2 for centre clearances (14.0). The Tigers rank No.14 for clearances (42.5).

2. This will be the first finals meeting between these teams. Richmond’s win in round 18 ended a two-game winning run for the Giants. The Tigers had won the first five clashes between the sides, including two by more than 100 points.

3. The Tigers continue to be one of the best defensive teams this season, conceding only 74 points a game. The Giants have conceded 81 points a game.

4. Richmond will be playing in its first preliminary final since 2001 when it was thrashed by the Brisbane Lions. This is the second straight season the Giants will play in a preliminary final following last year's loss to the Western Bulldogs.

5. The Tigers have been impressive this season at the MCG winning 10 of 12 matches with their two losses by only two and nine points. GWS has played only 11 times at the MCG in their history for one win.

6. GWS has three players – Toby Greene (No.14), Dylan Shiel (No.17) and Zac Williams (No.20) – ranked in the top 20 of the Schick AFL Player Ratings. The Tigers have two – Dustin Martin (No.2) and Trent Cotchin (No.15).

WHAT THE COACHES SAY

Damien Hardwick: "It was certainly not a game we'll go and get back out of the archives, but from an intensity and effort [point of view] I thought it was terrific. The first quarter we looked a little bit off the pace, they probably didn't capitalise as much as they should have, but I thought the second and third quarters we really controlled proceedings." –  after the round 18 win against GWS.

Leon Cameron: "It's exciting for our footy club and I was at the Richmond footy club for four years so I know how big the army can become. It's great for footy but as soon as that ball bounces, it doesn't matter if there's 85,000 Richmond supporters and 10,000 Giants supporters, the result will be determined by the best 22 on the day." – after the semi-final win against West Coast.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR … Brett Deledio

The former Tiger comes up against his old club for the first time in what will also be his 250th game. Deledio played 243 games for the Tigers over 12 seasons, leaving at the end of 2016 on good terms. A favourite of the Tiger Army during his time at Punt Road Oval, he will be entering enemy territory now. The Giants used Deledio across half-back in their semi-final win against the Eagles and he will be keen to impress in the first preliminary final of his career.

PREDICTION: Richmond by 12 points

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-18/megapreview-second-preliminary-final-richmond-v-gws

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Preliminary Final: Richmond vs GWS @ the MCG --- Sat. Sept. 23 @ 4.45pm
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2017, 07:50:59 AM »
Alot of media and afl fans saying we will get done as we don't have as much class and rely on tackling and pressure.Load of BS that is we have had one of the best backlines this season along with our midfield and a standout ruckman to.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2017, 07:56:55 AM »
We need big games from Prestia,Caddy and Lambert against there midfield and one of the small forwards to kick a few.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2017, 07:00:02 PM »
Thank stuff sheedy didn't back us, talk about the kiss of death ...