Author Topic: RFC VFLW thread [merged]  (Read 34279 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: RFC VFLW thread [merged]
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2019, 06:17:21 PM »
Hope she's only getting match payments.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2019, 07:25:56 PM »
Nice stuff.  At least the birds are getting the job done
Lots of people name their swords......

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2019, 05:01:23 PM »
Jenna Colwell's goal in the final minute of the second term sees us take the lead at the main break 💪

We've kicked the last 3 goals of the game.

Half-time

Richmond    0.2    3.4-22
NT Thunder  1.5    2.7-19

Goals: Jenna Colwell, Katie Brennan, Courtney Wakefield.

https://twitter.com/RichmondWomens/with_replies

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2019, 06:09:49 PM »
Great comeback win

5 in a row

No Monique Conti
Basketball this weekend
Is she committed to the Tigers or what?

I think you need to understand, this is the VFLW comp not the AFLW .

She is fully committed to the RFC. It shpuld not be questioned.

Will play ALL games for the AFLW season. Was well known that she may miss the odd VFLW game like previous seasons

Quite mischievous by Jack  ::) >:(. Nothing to see here
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2019, 05:02:40 AM »
Match highlights: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2019-06-15/vflw-r6-match-highlights

------------------------------------------

2019 Swisse Wellness VFL Women's

NT Thunder   1.5  2.7  3.8  3.10 (28)
Richmond      0.2  3.4  5.6  7.7 (49)

GOALS:
NT Thunder: Foley 2 Ponter
Richmond : Wakefield 2 Brennan 2 Stahl  Paterno  Colwell

BEST:
NT Thunder: Thorn Martin Riley Johnston Streader Irvine
Richmond : Seymour Brennan McLaren Miller Colwell Stahl

https://membership.sportstg.com/results/rpt_progressive.cgi?aID=4138&pg=1&a=MR

----------------------------------------------------

VFLW Tigers thunder past NT
Grace Kalac
AFL media
Jun 15, 2019 7:43PM[/i]

The VFLW Tigers have produced a stunning 21-point win over NT Thunder at TIO Stadium in Darwin on Saturday afternoon.

The undefeated Tigers were formidable in their first-ever interstate trip to surpass the experienced, high-pressure NT Thunder outfit in a true team performance.

It was a fast start for the Thunder, who controlled the ball in the first quarter but to no avail, managing just one goal to go with five behinds as the Tigers were held goalless.

Their inaccuracy gave the Tigers the chance to get back in the game, and Richmond seized the opportunity.

While NT Thunder held a 17-point lead early in the second quarter, the unshaken Tigers lifted their intent as they worked their way back into the match to cut the margin to three points at half-time.

Trio Courtney Wakefield, Katie Brennan and Jenna Colwell worked together seamlessly as they combined for Richmond’s three-goal second quarter.

Wakefield and Brennan finished with two goals apiece, while Tayla Stahl and Emily Paterno also joined in to boot majors.

The visiting Tigers continued their momentum over the second half to pile on four more goals and extend their lead.

A late surge by NT Thunder came with no reward, as the Tigers kept them goalless for the final quarter and stormed home in a gallant win.

The win didn’t come without its challenges, however, with the Tigers losing a number of key personnel, Evie Burry (knee), Lauren Tesoriero (knee) and Maddy Bracatisano (concussion) throughout the course of the afternoon.

VFLW coach Tom Hunter praised his side’s ability to adapt when faced with adversity.

“They were resilient. We threw them into a variety of roles and they just accepted the challenge and got the job done,” he said.

“I’m really pleased on the win but the way they fought it out…we hadn’t experienced pressure like that before.

“There was a lot of factors that went against us…and they toughed it out, they got the game back on our terms and to come away with the win is really pleasing.”

Richmond’s injury misfortunes provided the opportunity for a young Tiger, Hannah McLaren, to make her mark.

When Evie Burry went down, fellow defender McLaren stepped up in her best Richmond outing to date.

“She took (the opportunity) with both hands and she went back and took some really strong one-on-one marks,” Hunter said.

“That’s all we ask from our defenders, to give us a contest and beat their opponents and Hannah certainly did that today.”

In Alice Edmonds’ absence, ruckwoman Gabby Seymour shone in a dazzling debut for Richmond.

A former Australian volleyball representative, Seymour showcased her aerial ability as she dominated hit-outs. The smooth-mover showed composure with ball in hand and jelled with her Tiger teammates.

“She’s a cracker,” Hunter said.

“This is her first year of footy… She gave us contest in the air and won some balls she probably shouldn’t have won. It’s awesome to see her develop as a footballer, we’re really lucky that she’s in the Yellow and Black.”

The win was the cherry on top of a fantastic bonding weekend in the Top End for the VFLW Tigers.

“We’re at the Club for three sessions a week and of that time, it’s used mainly on football,” Hunter said.

“So, to have them sharing lunch together, sharing stories, building their connections, it’s really special.”

After a bye next weekend, the VFLW Tigers will be back in action for Round 8 against the Casey Demons on Sunday June 30 at Queen Elizabeth Oval, Bendigo.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-06-15/vflw-round-6-match-report

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2019, 09:44:46 AM »
Wonderful debut by Gabby Seymour, great leap and super competitive around the ground.

A few on here would want her ahead of Soldo  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2019, 09:49:19 AM »
Wonderful debut by Gabby Seymour, great leap and super competitive around the ground.

I would have thought most of the blokes on here would want her ahead of Soldo and by a very long way.....  :lol
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2019, 09:56:39 AM »

I would have thought most of the blokes on here would want her ahead of Soldo and by a very long way.....  :lol

:rollin

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2019, 03:26:30 PM »
Great comeback win

5 in a row

No Monique Conti
Basketball this weekend
Is she committed to the Tigers or what?

I think you need to understand, this is the VFLW comp not the AFLW .

She is fully committed to the RFC. It shpuld not be questioned.

Will play ALL games for the AFLW season. Was well known that she may miss the odd VFLW game like previous seasons

Quite mischievous by Jack  ::) >:(. Nothing to see here

Not mischievous at all
She had to play Basketball
She is fully committed to AFLW
Nothing to see here

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #144 on: June 27, 2019, 02:10:25 AM »
Kodi Jacques shines in debut VFLW season with Tigers

Anthony Pinda
Bendigo Advertiser
27 June 2019

When Bendigo's Kodi Jacques was growing up her dream was to play football on the big stage.

Surrounded by siblings who were footy obsessed - including Bridgewater FNC's Liam Jacques - the foundations were set for career on the oval.

"I've always had a footy in my hand since I was born," Kodi Jacques said.

"But when I was growing up I really didn't know about all the pathways to women's football.

"I played netball for the Heathcote Saints for nine years but one day I attended a talent identification day for football.

"I asked my mum if I could switch over to football, my parents always knew I had a natural talent for it."

And the rest is history, after learning the craft as a player with the Bendigo Thunder and Pioneers, before too long the opportunity to play with the Richmond Tigers in the VFLW emerged.

Jacques is currently in her debut season with the Tigers and is enjoying every single moment of it.

"The first few practice matches and games were a little daunting playing against some AFLW players, but now I'm finding my feet and putting together some really strong game performances," Jacques said.

Jacques was named in the VFLW's Team of the Week for her top performance during the Tigers' round five 22-point victory over Geelong, final scores 8.7 (55) over 5.3 (33).

Jacques booted two goals in the game and was also named among the team's best on ground .

"During that match it was my first game with Richmond in the forward line. I was tucked down there and managed to get on the end of a few good goals," Jacques said.

She feels most comfortable playing across the mid-field but declares she is able to play a variety of positions.

"As long as I'm on the ground, I'm happy to play wherever," Jacques said.

Jacques' dedication to the sport involves frequent trips up and down the Calder Highway several times per week to attend training sessions with the Tigers.

Jacques will have the opportunity to play with the Tigers this Sunday against the Casey Demons on Bendigo's Queen Elizabeth Oval for round eight of the VFLW season, game starts at 1pm.

"Hopefully we will get a few people down for the game," Jacques said.

"All my family and friends will be down to watch. It's always good to get back to where you are from to give back to the community."

The Tigers currently sit second on the VFLW ladder with an undefeated 5-0 record and will head into this weekend's match filled with confidence following a 21-point win over NT Thunder during round six, final scores 7.7 (49) over 3.10 (28).

The Tigers will BE fielding a team in the AFLW next season and if Jacques continues on her current hot-streak, the opportunity to fulfill her dream of playing in the nation's top league is more than possible.

"It would be amazing, its everything I have ever wanted to do," she said.

"Even when the AFLW wasn't around I would always say to Liam that I wanted to be the first girl to play in the league.

"Hopefully I can make the team by continuing with top form and putting in all of the hardwork."

Most sportswomen and men drop names of world superstars as their biggest influence.

However, for Jacques it's a whole lot closer to home - it's older brother Liam.

"He and my family have always been so supportive. He is my biggest influence and I've wanted to copy and do whatever he does," Jacques said.

"I always remember watching him play footy when I was younger and thinking, one day I would love to have a crack at that."

THUNDER PRODUCT: Kodi Jacques learnt her craft as a footballer playing with the Bendigo Thunder. Picture: GLENN DANIELS

https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/6239700/kodi-jacques-shines-in-debut-vflw-season-with-tigers/

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2019, 01:48:44 PM »
VFLW: Richmond Tigers, Casey Demons set for round seven match on Bendigo's Queen Elizabeth Oval

Anthony Pinda
Bendigo Advertiser
28 June 2019

Richmond Tigers will host the Casey Demons this Sunday for round seven of the VFLW season.

Among the Tigers' squad includes Bendigo footballers Kodi Jacques, Jessica Kennedy, Grace Campbell and the AFLW's Katie Brennan.

Jacques is currently in her debut season with the Tigers and is more than keen to play football on the home of Bendigo sport.

The Tigers sit in second place on the VFLW ladder with an undefeated 5-0 record while the Demons are sixth on 3-2.

The event is free and will have family friendly activities, including balloon artists, face painters and an inflatable specky station.

Match begins at 1pm at the Queen Elizabeth Oval.

https://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/6246187/vflw-tigers-demons-set-for-round-seven-clash-on-the-qeo/?cs=12

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #146 on: June 30, 2019, 04:41:32 PM »
Our ladies won again and remain undefeated :thumbsup.

Richmond          2.5  2.5  4.10  9.11 (65)
Casey Demons   2.0  2.0  4.2    4.2 (26)

GOALS:
Richmond : Stahl 3 Bailey 3 Milford  Kennedy  Brennan
Casey Demons: Sherriff  Emonson  Zanker  McDonough

BEST:
Richmond : Campbell Bailey Stahl Makur Chuot Dempsey Miller
Casey Demons: Emonson Sherriff Zanker  Heath Pratt Cordner

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2019, 06:51:45 PM »
VFLW Tigers eclipse Demons

Genevieve Thorpe
AFL media
Jul 1, 2019

The VFLW Tigers have stormed home to a 39-point win against the Casey Demons at Queen Elizabeth Oval, Bendigo on Sunday afternoon.

The undefeated Tigers returned refreshed from last weekend’s bye to record a 9.11 (65) to 4.2 (26) victory, marking their sixth consecutive win of the season.

The Round 8 clash kicked off with a strong start from both the Tigers and the Demons. It was a fierce contest from the get-go, with both sides matched for goals in the first quarter (two goals), second quarter (three goals) and third quarter (four goals).

The Tigers struggled to break away from the Demons as rain and cold wind replaced the sunny conditions, and their home turf grew slippery and troublesome.

Richmond’s scoreboard impact was hampered by their 11 behinds to Casey’s two, and at three-quarter time, the Tigers held a slender eight-point lead.

But the Tigers surged in the fourth quarter as they piled on five goals to run out with a comfortable win.

VFLW Coach Tom Hunter said he was pleased with how girls fared in the conditions, and how they responded to Casey’s high-pressure game.

“Casey put in a great performance, so for our girls to tough it out and get the game going our way, was really pleasing,” he said.

Hunter praised the Tigers’ quality final quarter, where their five goals came in a matter of minutes, courtesy of Laura Bailey, Tayla Stahl and skipper Jess Kennedy.

Bailey and Stahl were damaging up forward, finishing with three goals apiece.

“The last quarter is a good reflection of the way we want to play, just our ability to get the ball to the outside and then take the ball on a little bit more,” Hunter said.

“We were playing good football (for the first three quarters), but we weren’t getting the results on the scoreboard.

“To open the game up a little bit and make the most of our opportunities forward of the ball was a lovely way to finish the game off.”

Richmond made seven changes to its side for the Casey match, which included three Tigers playing their first game of the year.

Hunter said the Tigers’ performance was emblematic of the style they want to play, and highlighted the strength of the Richmond system to stand up despite missing key personnel.

“When the game was there to be won, they really stepped up in one-on-one contests and our pressure was really good,” Hunter said.

“I think that shows we have a lot of depth in the VFLW program and we have a lot of girls who can come in and not only play well, but play to the level, which is really exciting to me.”

The Tigers thrived at their home away from home, with Bendigo Thunder products Jess Kennedy, Kodi Jacques, Sarah Last and Grace Campbell relishing the opportunity to be back at Queen Elizabeth Oval.

Campbell had a busy day in her hometown, racking up 12 tackles and 16 disposals as she played an important role in the Tigers’ final-term pressure.

Hunter commended Campbell’s ability to “make something happen” when she had her hands on the ball.

“She was fantastic… she just loves the contest and we really value her for that,” he said.

“We’re going to see great growth from her over the back half of the year.”

AFLW signing Hannah Burchell came off the ground in the second quarter with a suspected lower leg injury.

The Tigers will look to add to their winning streak next Saturday, 6 July when they face the Western Bulldogs at VU Whitten Oval at 4.00pm.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-07-01/vflw-tigers-eclipse-demons

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2019, 08:15:52 PM »
Richmond Women’s recruit Sabrina Frederick will make her Yellow and Black debut this Saturday when the VFLW Tigers take on the Western Bulldogs at VU Whitten Oval.

https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-07-05/vflw-frederick-to-debut-in-bulldogs-clash

Online one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2019, 06:51:12 PM »
Our girls lost their first game of the year due to poor goalkicking.

Western Bulldogs   1.1  2.1  3.2  4.4 (28)
Richmond              0.2  1.8  2.9  2.10 (22)

GOALS:
Western Bulldogs: Rennie 2 McMahon  Mackay
Richmond : Stahl  Frederick-Traub

BEST:
Western Bulldogs: Hunt Jolly Scott Laloifi Sandral Butler
Richmond : Dempsey Bailey Seymour Makur Chuot Last Brancatisano