Author Topic: Liam Baker [merged]  (Read 83411 times)

Broadsword

Re: Liam Baker [merged]
« Reply #420 on: June 04, 2023, 04:16:36 PM »
What an amazing player.  :clapping
Courageous mark in the last at half back. Eyes only for the football.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #421 on: June 04, 2023, 04:30:03 PM »
Huge last quarter. When we looked like we were going to rollover again in a last quarter, Bakes said no and took it upon himself in the guts to get ball forward and set up goalscoring opportunities to get us over the line.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #422 on: June 04, 2023, 04:43:27 PM »
Love this guy!!

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #423 on: June 04, 2023, 06:50:50 PM »
Tough as.

Captain potential.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #424 on: June 05, 2023, 03:19:05 PM »
Bakes reaches his ton this weekend against Freo  :clapping.

2018     3 games
2019   19 ............. premiership
2020   20 ............. premiership
2021   22
2022   23
2023   13*
---------------------
Total  100* games

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/L/Liam_Baker.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #425 on: June 06, 2023, 12:26:37 PM »

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #426 on: June 06, 2023, 04:22:22 PM »
Another player rated highly within the walls of the club, a good achievements by Bakes
The more 100 gamers we get the better chance of some good father / sons

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #427 on: June 06, 2023, 05:17:04 PM »
Dimma had a man crush on Bakes as do I. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #428 on: June 06, 2023, 06:27:40 PM »
An all-time rookie pick

Kane Cornes
SEN
6 June 2023

“Liam Baker plays game no. 100 this week. What a great pick, one of the all-time great rookies.

“I looked at the coaches votes and he didn’t feature, I thought he was the most important player for Richmond (against GWS).

“He was pick 18 in the 2018 rookie draft, he’s elite. He’s everything you admire about a footballer, he’s tough, he’s versatile, you need three of him… and he’s really classy.

“Nine score involvements and I thought he was exceptional for the Tigers, so congratulations to him on 100 games, what a pick.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/06/kane-cornes-seven-observations-from-round-12-of-the-2023-afl-season/

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #429 on: June 06, 2023, 09:38:19 PM »
An all-time rookie pick

Kane Cornes
SEN
6 June 2023

“Liam Baker plays game no. 100 this week. What a great pick, one of the all-time great rookies.

“I looked at the coaches votes and he didn’t feature, I thought he was the most important player for Richmond (against GWS).

“He was pick 18 in the 2018 rookie draft, he’s elite. He’s everything you admire about a footballer, he’s tough, he’s versatile, you need three of him… and he’s really classy.

“Nine score involvements and I thought he was exceptional for the Tigers, so congratulations to him on 100 games, what a pick.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/06/06/kane-cornes-seven-observations-from-round-12-of-the-2023-afl-season/
He won me over to the dumb comment of classy. Bakes as a small is not classy. We love him for his heart and tenacity but there is not one outstanding skill attribute. In fact id say he is a bit rough around the edges in most.

Sorry tiger supporters but im just being honest here. Can any one tell me what outstanding attribute he has outside of courage and tenacity. He is pretty good thru okay at most things and i actually love the little fella more heart than most on the list but i refuse to sugar coat anything.
In some ways he is a problem with our issues of lacking polish and class. People will again think its a bash at one of our players but it is not. With just a touch of class and polish we would have one of the best all round smalls in the comp.

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #430 on: June 07, 2023, 11:13:19 AM »
An all-time rookie pick

Kane Cornes
SEN
6 June 2023

He won me over to the dumb comment of classy. Bakes as a small is not classy. We love him for his heart and tenacity but there is not one outstanding skill attribute. In fact id say he is a bit rough around the edges in most.

Sorry tiger supporters but im just being honest here. Can any one tell me what outstanding attribute he has outside of courage and tenacity. He is pretty good thru okay at most things and i actually love the little fella more heart than most on the list but i refuse to sugar coat anything.
In some ways he is a problem with our issues of lacking polish and class. People will again think its a bash at one of our players but it is not. With just a touch of class and polish we would have one of the best all round smalls in the comp.

Baker's outstanding attributes are his courage and his tenacity. That mark he took on the weekend in front of closing GWS player shows everything Baker gives the side.

Sorry Claw but I would rather celebrate what he brings instead of moaning about his lack of polish and class.

In these days of salary cap restrictions you cannot have 22 players with polish class courage and tenacity

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #431 on: June 07, 2023, 12:49:01 PM »
An all-time rookie pick

Kane Cornes
SEN
6 June 2023

You asked this weeks ago and I said courage and tenacity.

Now you're asking what else besides those?

What about Lynch? What does he bring besides marking and goal kicking? Stuff him off too? What about Taranto besides clearance work, tackling and two way running? Stuff him off too?

Seriously mate not everyone is a Brownlow medallist. He's a rookie pick for goodness sake. A player with his attributes and skill level is a bargain of the year find.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #432 on: June 08, 2023, 12:13:59 PM »
Terrific Tiger troubleshooter’s ton tribute

Liam Baker, who will reach the 100-game milestone against Fremantle, is one of the great success stories of the competition’s rookie draft system.

Full article: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1352883/terrific-tiger-troubleshooter-s-ton-tribute

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #433 on: June 08, 2023, 12:14:47 PM »
Tigers’ burning question: Is Liam Baker Richmond’s most important player?

We all know how great Dustin Martin has been for Richmond, and the longevity of the likes of Trent Cotchin and Jack Riewoldt, but it’s Liam Baker who proved the spark against GWS. Kane Cornes described Baker as a “genuine star” on SEN due to his versatility. “He can play back midfield and went forward to great effect,” he praised. Fox Footy’s Nathan Buckley said Baker was exactly the sort of player you wanted alongside you as a teammate. “Guys you love to play with, blokes you look out on the field or you’re witnessing a team go about it and there’s a guy continually put himself on the line or run himself into exhaustion, go back with the flight... they’re not always the most skilful, pristine looking players, but they play with heart. And Liam Baker is a heart player,” he said.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-the-blowtorch-round-13-review-every-clubs-burning-question-fox-footy-commentators-tv-analysis-fixture/news-story/d8a742085c2acf40f128b86d6d3bee84

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #434 on: June 09, 2023, 02:05:20 PM »
From Barrett's 'Sliding Doors' column:

IF ...
Liam Baker was runner-up in 2021 and fourth last year in the Tigers' best-and-fairest count ...

THEN ...
he's tracking for another solid finish this year. Plays his 100th game on Saturday in Perth, against Freo. A great footy story, having had to enter the AFL system via the rookie draft in 2018.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/944857/if-jordan-de-goey-wants-to-head-to-bali-again-then