Author Topic: 2018 National Draft thread  (Read 43267 times)

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: 2018 National Draft thread
« Reply #375 on: November 25, 2018, 07:48:17 PM »
Probably 13 to 15.

Excellent. Thank you!
Anything else you can tell us about our preferences? We're we as hot on Bytel as some people are suggesting? And lastly any commentary on Bailey Williams?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #376 on: November 25, 2018, 08:31:26 PM »
Probably 13 to 15.

Excellent. Thank you!
Anything else you can tell us about our preferences? We're we as hot on Bytel as some people are suggesting? And lastly any commentary on Bailey Williams?
There was very little discussion on draft picks past round 1. I asked about Ely Smith and Clarke said he thought that he may go anywhere between 30 and 50. This is before Brisbane asked him to be invited to the 1st round draft night.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #377 on: November 25, 2018, 08:50:38 PM »
Probably 13 to 15.

Excellent. Thank you!
There was very little discussion on draft picks past round 1. I asked about Ely Smith and Clarke said he thought that he may go anywhere between 30 and 50. This is before Brisbane asked him to be invited to the 1st round draft night.

Cheers Y&B. Appreciate you opening the vault a little.
From your perspective who do you think the club expected to draft with our first pick?

Do you think we had

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #378 on: November 25, 2018, 10:55:50 PM »
Probably 13 to 15.

Excellent. Thank you!

Cheers Y&B. Appreciate you opening the vault a little.
From your perspective who do you think the club expected to draft with our first pick?

Do you think we had
Realistically they were hoping RCD would slide but weren't hopeful. They also had Hately up high and possibly gettable but again unlikely to get to them. The rest included Valente (great character and leadership), Stocker obviously, Briggs (GWS academy and thus unlikely), Hill (not what they wanted although rated very highly), Sam Sturt and a few others like McHendry.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #379 on: November 27, 2018, 02:37:14 AM »
CARLTON draftee Liam Stocker recently described a "confronting" interview with Richmond, where the Tigers challenged the midfielder on his lack of endurance.

Should he earn a round one debut, the big-bodied onballer is ready to show the Tigers how much he has improved his running base since they last met.

"I've always played with a chip on my shoulder," Stocker said.

"I don't mind it when I've got a little bit more motivation to go with it.

"They certainly made me very aware of what my weaknesses were, and I think I probably needed it at that stage. You can go too far in TAC Cup footy getting told how good you are and not getting told what your weaknesses are, so I certainly needed it."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-26/stockers-docker-new-blue-on-the-run-with-opponent

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #380 on: November 29, 2018, 12:19:47 PM »
The AFL website reckons we would've taken Hill if Collier-Dawkins hadn't been available.

----------------------------------------------------------------

If the Dogs had taken Caldwell, Smith would have gotten past Adelaide and the Giants, and Port Adelaide would not have drafted him either.

It's why Richmond, who started the draft back at pick 17, were in touch with Port Adelaide on draft day and were monitoring the situation if Smith became available. A trade offer for Port's second pick was likely if Smith slipped past the Dogs.

But Smith didn't drop.

Port weighed up Clark with its second choice (No.12) before going with Butters, but that selection had implications. Geelong (No.15) chose between Clark and Riley Collier-Dawkins, having called Clark five times during his flight from Perth to Melbourne on Thursday. They wanted to triple-check he was fine about relocating, but after he gave his assurances, chose him that night ahead of Victorian Collier-Dawkins.

Had Port picked Clark, Geelong would likely have chosen Collier-Dawkins and Richmond, back at their No.20 pick, would have had a much different night given they were relieved Collier-Dawkins was still available at their spot.

Adelaide (No.16) wanted McHenry for a long time and weighed up trying to slide him through to their third pick. However, Port would have taken the small forward with the following selection, and the Tigers loomed large too, so the Crows pounced.

Collier-Dawkins was at this point falling down the order, which made other clubs jump to attention. St Kilda was particularly active in trying to get back into the first round, with Collier-Dawkins believed to be on their radar. They offered the Crows a similar trade to Carlton for that pick 19, including the Saints' top pick next year, but Adelaide knocked it back.

He wasn't in the minds of Port with their third pick (No.18), and neither was Stocker, with the club believing it had enough bigger-bodied midfielders.

Carlton surprised many when it traded its first-round pick for next year to Adelaide for the Crows' pick 19 this year and their first-rounder next year, so they could jump up to take midfielder Liam Stocker, who had fallen down the draft board.

The Blues rated Stocker as the sixth best player in the 2018 crop, and wanted another midfielder to bring in alongside their No.1 choice Sam Walsh.

Richmond spoke to Collier-Dawkins in the days before the draft but had he not gotten through to them, the Tigers would likely have chosen Hill of the remaining players, his talent too hard to pass up despite the Tigers not necessarily being desperate for another small forward. The Tigers had more calls for that selection but held it and added to their midfield.

Further proof that, in the early stages of the draft at least, every pick has an implication for the next, and the next and the next.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-29/how-2018s-biggest-draft-shock-almost-didnt-happen

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #381 on: December 12, 2018, 11:56:15 AM »
The draft club videos are quite funny to watch. In particular CC from the Suns posturing and the boys saying how well they had done forgetting the only reason they have early picks is due to their horrendous performance and inability to hold onto players.  I could have rocked up there and got their first 3 spot on.  Also turning 2 picks into 1 for a player rated 25ish and may have gone later.  I guess that's what live trading is all about. 

I am not sure what clubs have to gain by making these public knowledge? I guess they have no choice as they are an AFL production.