Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 408500 times)

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tom Lynch is a Tiger [official]
« Reply #1200 on: January 08, 2019, 11:23:58 PM »
It was reported about 6-8 weeks ago that he'd had a clean up on the knee to hasten recovery. Maybe that's what's he's talking about

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #1201 on: January 10, 2019, 06:30:06 AM »
It was reported about 6-8 weeks ago that he'd had a clean up on the knee to hasten recovery. Maybe that's what's he's talking about
May well be, like I said the blokes a complete nuffie, but he occasionally has a solid piece of inside goss...

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1202 on: January 22, 2019, 10:38:12 AM »
How Lynch got his smile back

Eliza Reilly and Murray Wenzel,
Gold Coast Bulletin
22 Jan 2019

TOM Lynch has returned to the Gold Coast but it was his exit which seems to have rediscovered his smile.

Old wounds were opened at Bond University yesterday when the former Suns skipper set foot on a Coast footy field wearing black and gold for the first time.

The 26-year-old left a sour taste with many Suns AFL fans in August when announcing his free agency switch to heavyweights Richmond for 2019.

With the Tigers’ pre-season training camp on the Gold Coast running until Friday, supporters of both his past and present clubs yesterday got the chance to catch up with the key forward.

Continuing his rehab from knee surgery, Lynch was restricted to agility and close-range kicking and marking drills on a warm morning at Bond University, the Suns’ home base during last year’s Commonwealth Games.

However it was enough to convince Gold Coast-based Queensland Richmond Supporter’s Group president Dylan Leach that we will see a more positive Lynch this season.

“He was running laps but he was smiling and looked happier then when he was playing for the Gold Coast,” he said.

“He was a fine player for the Gold Coast Suns and if he can get back to his prime, he’ll be a great addition to Richmond.”

Tigers skipper Trent Cotchin expressed his excitement over getting the star recruit back at full training.

“He’s travelling along nicely at the moment and only a matter of time when he’s out there with the whole group,” Cotchin said.

“We’ve seen in previous seasons how good he can be as a player and a person and that’s what we’re most excited about.”

Though there remains some lasting dissatisfaction.

Suns fan Shane Gallihir was among those who yesterday tipped Lynch to receive a hostile reception when he faces his old side in July.

“He showed his character and deserves the boos when he returns to Metricon,” he posted in a Suns’ fan Facebook page.

Gold Coast supporter Tracey Clay believes Lynch shouldn’t have left the struggling AFL side.

“I have moved on but personally I was extremely disappointed he chose to leave,” she wrote.

“He was our co-captain and the Suns invested heavily in him.

“You don’t see many captains walk out of their clubs.”

The Tigers’ playing group ran some skill based drills before launching into match simulation.

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sport/afl/how-suns-fallen-golden-boy-rediscovered-his-smile/news-story/d1d13aeb2cb99a4cbb1b53a4df00fbee

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1203 on: January 22, 2019, 12:19:15 PM »
Not quite sure how is going to face a "hostile reception" when the majority of people at the gsme will be Richmond  fans

Reckon the ratio was 1 (GC) to 15 Tigers last year  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1204 on: January 22, 2019, 03:20:49 PM »
Burge provided an update on recruit Tom Lynch’s return from knee surgery, remarking that the star forward has “progressed really well in the last two weeks”.

“He did some high speed running today and he’s been doing that now for nearly two weeks,” Burge said.

“Some days we’re working on speed, other days we’re working on his agility… and still working on his strength with his leg that he’s had operated on.

“We’re getting closer to some footy stuff…we’re really pleased with how he’s going.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-01-21/tigers-hit-the-track-qldcamp2019

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1205 on: January 25, 2019, 12:20:07 AM »
Apparently this pic on instagram is the players welcoming Tom Lynch to the Tigerland family.

Lynch did some skill and structure drills for the first time today (hence the celebration) according to Andrew Sloman.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers expect Lynch to face Blues (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1206 on: January 29, 2019, 07:12:04 PM »
Tigers expect Lynch to face Blues

Jon Ralph,
Herald Sun
29 Jan 2019 6:30pm

Richmond expects Tom Lynch to suit up in yellow and black in Round 1 after a strong summer rehabilitating his surgically repaired knee.

The Tigers this week returned from a week-long camp on the Gold Coast encouraged by Lynch’s progress as well as Dustin Martin’s fitness and sky-high motivation.

The former Gold Coast captain has methodically built up his endurance and while he is yet to join full training he has another eight weeks before the season opener against Carlton.

It would take a setback to push Lynch out of consideration for Round 1.

The Hawks undertook the rare PCL surgery with stars including Luke Hodge and Jarryd Roughead and had positive results.

The Tigers are in no rush to throw Lynch into football early but Tigers football boss Neil Balme told the Herald Sun he was on track for the season opener.

“We have said to him to just take your time. He is a bloke who is going to play for us for eight years, so we don’t want him breaking down again but I would be surprised if he is not available first up,” he said.

“He is doing a lot of work now on the track and the medical guys are really pleased.

“There have been quite a few positive results from (PCL surgery). Grant Birchall has had some troubles (at Hawthorn) but most of the results are quite reasonable.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-expects-tom-lynch-to-face-carlton-in-round-1-with-trent-cotchin-to-continue-as-captain/news-story/8dc8f7c39ef8995c9f8c2dd8dd820ba2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1207 on: February 02, 2019, 11:23:50 AM »
Lynch was doing full ground kicking drills today at training:

https://twitter.com/camtherose/status/1091484852254195712

Also jogged laps on his own ...

https://twitter.com/CherylCritchley/status/1091461195897270272

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1208 on: February 02, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »
I attended today, he looked to me like he was sore.  The hint of a limp also.  Realistically, he may miss round one but obviously not an expert. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1209 on: February 03, 2019, 02:49:47 AM »
Star Tigers recruit Tom Lynch delights fans at open training session

AFL.com.au
Marc McGowan
Feb 2, 2019

GILT-EDGED Richmond recruit Tom Lynch continues to show steady progress from knee surgery as he pushes to be part of the Tigers' round one plans.

Lynch delighted Richmond fans at their open training session at Punt Road on Saturday morning, taking part in on-the-move kicking drills where he ran freely without hitting full stride.

He was also a gentle participant in football exercises with his fellow forwards that involved some change of direction.

The ex-Gold Coast co-captain, who underwent a PCL operation on his right knee in July before minor clean-up surgery in November, still looks some way from graduating to full training.

However, Lynch's training efforts vindicate Tigers football boss Neil Balme's prediction that the star key forward was on track to play in the season-opener.

Richmond's round one clash with Carlton on Thursday, March 21 is almost seven weeks away.

Balme told AFL.com.au he was hopeful Lynch would play in the club's second JLT Community Series match against Hawthorn at Launceston on March 9.

"The fact Tom joined in some of the drills at our (Gold Coast) camp (in January) was good, and again today," Balme said.

"You can imagine how relatively conservative the conditioning guys are with guys like him – there is no rush.

"It's progressive, but he hasn't done any contested work and we have no idea (when he will) until that all pans out.

"He won't play in our first JLT game, but will he be OK for the next one?

"We're hoping so, but that is totally determined by how they objectively judge how he's going. But we're really pleased so far."

Lynch finished Saturday's session with some brief lap running at low intensity.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-02/star-tigers-recruit-lynch-delights-fans-at-open-training-session

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1210 on: February 03, 2019, 02:57:47 AM »
From @ByMarcMcGowan twitter:

This might warm some Tiger hearts. Still not doing everything - and not going at full speed - but Tom Lynch continues to make steady progress from knee surgery. Round one?

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/ByMarcMcGowan/status/1091485292320612352

Lynch finished the session running laps

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/ByMarcMcGowan/status/1091486898361532416

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1211 on: February 22, 2019, 02:51:28 AM »
Mitch Cleary @cleary_mitch

He won’t be playing as a decoy like the vision suggests, but Tom Lynch stepping it up at Punt Road this morning.
Not hitting straps just yet but big strides in last month

VIDEO: https://twitter.com/cleary_mitch/status/1098365105798926338

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'Slowly, slowly': R1 doubts rise for star Tigers recruit Tom Lynch (afl site)
« Reply #1212 on: February 22, 2019, 02:53:41 AM »
'Slowly, slowly': R1 doubts rise for star Tigers recruit

AFL.com.au
Mitch Cleary
Feb 21, 2019 1:36PM

STAR Richmond recruit Tom Lynch remains more than a fortnight away from entering Tigers match simulation as doubt grows over his prospects for round one.

Lynch ramped up his program at Punt Road on Thursday morning, taking part in full-ground ball movement before sitting out contested drills.

Four weeks out from the season opener against Carlton on March 21, Lynch continues to work closely with club fitness staff on his running style after a PCL surgery last July.

The former Suns co-captain will sit out the Tigers' intraclub on Saturday, and he is expected to be an onlooker for the two JLT Community Series matches starting next week.

"To be honest I think he's still a fortnight away, possibly longer," fellow forward Jack Riewoldt said of Lynch's return to match simulation.

There's a no-risk policy with our players – if he's right to go when the JLT rolls around, he'll play

Jack Riewoldt on Tom Lynch

"If he's not, he won't, same with round one. We'll take the slowly, slowly approach with him and we know he's going to be a great player for us in the long-term."

Riewoldt and Lynch are yet to share the same forward line in match practice to develop a partnership, something the incumbent full-forward believes will take time.

"In a perfect world we'd love to try and get a couple of training sessions for starters. Months of training together would be great but it's not the cards we've been dealt," Riewoldt said.

"I've played with other key forwards and been successful with other key forwards, but for us we know it's going to probably be a little bit clunky early on, as any new partnership can be.

"We know we need to be firing at the right end of the season."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-21/slowly-slowly-r1-doubts-rise-for-star-tigers-recruit

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Star Tigers recruit Tom Lynch 'around about the mark' for round one (afl site)
« Reply #1213 on: February 23, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »
Star Tigers recruit 'around about the mark' for round one

AFL.com.au
Nick Bowen
Feb 23, 2019 12:16PM

STAR recruit Tom Lynch will be "around about the mark" to debut for Richmond in round one, but the Tigers are still trying to identify their ideal ruck and forward structures, assistant coach Justin Leppitsch says.

Lynch is returning from a PCL injury that limited him to 10 games in his final season with Gold Coast last year and subsequently required an operation in November to remove scar tissue.

The 2016 All Australian forward did not play in the Tigers' intraclub game at Punt Rd on Saturday morning, but completed a lengthy running session beforehand, in which he appeared to be moving well.

Leppitsch said Lynch would not play in either of Richmond's JLT Community Series games, but had taken significant strides in his rehabilitation ahead of the season opener against Carlton on March 21.

"He's going really well, his agility has improved out of sight and his running is terrific," Leppitsch said.

"He's doing contested work now, so we feel he's going to be around about the round-one mark.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-23/star-tigers-recruit-around-the-mark-for-round-one

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1214 on: March 01, 2019, 02:48:38 AM »
Asked if a Round 1 appearance remained on his agenda, Lynch replied, “Hopefully”.

“If I answer honestly, I’m not sure at the moment, but I’ll be very close,” Lynch said at Richmond’s Community Camp in Albury this morning.

“If I miss out, I miss out. But I’m planning for that so hopefully I’ll be out there.

“I’ve been in and out of drills at the moment. I started my competitive work last week and over the next probably two weeks I’ll really look to ramp that up,” Lynch said.

“I knew when I had the surgery initially that it was going to be a long time and we had to be patient with it. Richmond’s been really good and just said, ‘Take it slow, we want to build it, it’s not about straight away, you’ve got a long future ahead’. So I knew that straight away but obviously you get to a new club, you want to be out there straight away with the boys. But the last month’s been really exciting to be able to get out there with the boys and start training.”

“We’ve been training for a fair while now,” he said.

“Initially, Jack (Riewoldt) said it might be a bit clunky but if I just come in and play my role it will be okay. The boys have been playing together for a while now so I’ll be able to slot in and just play my role.”

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-recruit-tom-lynch-remains-determined-to-play-in-round-1-against-carlton/news-story/2c91458d30f4713527958c736ba0516d