Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 397681 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tom Browne on Ch 7 news last night said Lynch has put off contract talks until the middle of the year.

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/960421209232977921

Offline Gracie

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
I can't see the AFL letting this happen.

Too much invested in the GC team to let it fall away on key players leaving.

Not sure how they will do it, as I don't think Lynch is that interested in the money, but I reckon he stays.
Yep. The AFL aren't pumping an extra $25m into the Suns to then let their best players walk out.

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/the-afl-propped-up-gold-coast-suns-with-25m-after-sponsorship-woes-20180201-h0s15t

ps. Quite ironic that we ended up winning the flag from where we were ("worse than Fitzroy") before the expansion clubs when we had to rebuild our list during the compromised drafts thanks to these expansion clubs receiving a stack of first round high end talent. We walked away with the cup on our way after flogging one in the Prelim, while the other is in turmoil on and off-field (we also poached Prestia from them).   

If the main thing Tom Lynch wants is to return to Melbourne (or get out of the Gold Coast) and money is not an over riding factor then the AFL cannot force him to stay. It would only take a restraint of trade suit for them to back down.

Sometimes it is not all about money.

However if he does want to leave and the Suns state they will match then it becomes like the Dangerfield situation and we would need to come up with the mother of all trades, especially since we will have our first pick @ #18  ;D

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
I can't see the AFL letting this happen.

Too much invested in the GC team to let it fall away on key players leaving.

Not sure how they will do it, as I don't think Lynch is that interested in the money, but I reckon he stays.
Yep. The AFL aren't pumping an extra $25m into the Suns to then let their best players walk out.

http://www.afr.com/business/sport/the-afl-propped-up-gold-coast-suns-with-25m-after-sponsorship-woes-20180201-h0s15t

ps. Quite ironic that we ended up winning the flag from where we were ("worse than Fitzroy") before the expansion clubs when we had to rebuild our list during the compromised drafts thanks to these expansion clubs receiving a stack of first round high end talent. We walked away with the cup on our way after flogging one in the Prelim, while the other is in turmoil on and off-field (we also poached Prestia from them).   

If the main thing Tom Lynch wants is to return to Melbourne (or get out of the Gold Coast) and money is not an over riding factor then the AFL cannot force him to stay. It would only take a restraint of trade suit for them to back down.

Sometimes it is not all about money.

However if he does want to leave and the Suns state they will match then it becomes like the Dangerfield situation and we would need to come up with the mother of all trades, especially since we will have our first pick @ #18  ;D

You are right Gracie, but the AFL has other ways and means of getting want they want even if money isn't the issue for Lynch.

Not that they would do anything underhand of course :) but I can't see him leaving the GC.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Operation Josh-Dion.... :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
If caddy and Prestia are good mates with Lynch and he wants to return to Vic then why wouldn't he nominate us.  No brainer.  Those 2 should be all over him and in his ear.  Personally I don't think he's as good as their saying but I'd have him for sure. 

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
I still can't see this happening without some serious reworking of contracts to fit him into our cap.

And it is only Robbo saying it.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Tom Browne on Ch 7 news last night said Lynch has put off contract talks until the middle of the year.

https://twitter.com/7NewsMelbourne/status/960421209232977921

Middle of the year is a weird thing to say. Me thinks he's staying..

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Question is, would you want to pay him more than Dusty?
If we do then we are shafting all our top guns, massive no for me.

Dougeytherichmondfan

Correct MoL.

We cant afford to offer him more than a mil Id have reckoned - unless theres some clever wheeling and dealing done.

Fact is the Pies can offer him 1.5 and we can't. Unlesd hes happy to come to us for significant unders (which may happen  :shh) then we miss out.

Heres hoping!

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Correct MoL.

We cant afford to offer him more than a mil Id have reckoned - unless theres some clever wheeling and dealing done.

Fact is the Pies can offer him 1.5 and we can't. Unlesd hes happy to come to us for significant unders (which may happen  :shh) then we miss out.

Heres hoping!

and you know this how ?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Correct MoL.

Heres hoping!

and you know this how ?
He's really Eddiethepiefan?
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
So,,

...Lynch or Sloane fa and play Martin forward more while hoping Balta/Chol/Moore come on?

...or Jack Martin...

..or target Taranto ....

..or keep growing our own via the draft....

...or hope the Scraggers continue to slide and the Bont wants to live his boythood dream... :shh

...or likewise Fyfe finally realises he ain't winning a flag at Freo.... :shh

????

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline sugark

• Premiership Captain
Story doing the rounds that his sister has signed to play with our VFLW side, unconfirmed but that's the story

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
Story doing the rounds that his sister has signed to play with our VFLW side, unconfirmed but that's the story

Really?

I heard she had signed at Adelaide. Don Pyke sees her taking Jenkins' spot by round 1.