Author Topic: Riley Collier-Dawkins [merged]  (Read 63592 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Pick 20: Riley Collier-Dawkins
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »
Riley Collier-Dawkins wants to ‘repay the faith’ to whatever club drafts him

November 20, 2018
Matt Balmer
FOX SPORTS

Riley Collier-Dawkins says he is willing to “repay the faith” in the club that drafts him in Thursday’s national draft, regardless of what state the team is from.

With only five selections in the first round being from Victorian clubs, the odds are in favour for the Oakleigh Chargers prospect to move interstate.

But the 18-year-old isn’t fussed about having to potentially pack his bags and hop on a plane to join an AFL club.

“I’ve prepared for it the best as I can (moving interstate),” Collier-Dawkins told reporters on Tuesday.

“I’m well aware there’s good chance I’m going to go interstate, I’m just looking forward to wherever I go and attack it like a bull at a gate.”

With clubs such as GWS, Geelong and Adelaide considering the 191cm midfielder, Collier-Dawkins is none the wiser as to who will call out his name.

“No I don’t (know who will draft me),”

“I’m just going to find out like everyone else and I’m just going to be stoked wherever I go.

“I don’t get much choice, but anyone who puts the faith in me, I’m going to repay the faith to them.”

The ‘go home factor’ is one of the AFL’s new buzzwords since the introduction of the two expansion clubs in Gold Coast and Western Sydney, with star players such as Jake Lever and Tom Lynch returning to familiar surroundings in Victoria.

But Collier-Dawkins explained he had known from a young age that it was a distinct possibility he could be leaving Victoria. in order to get a chance at playing an AFL game.

“I guess the go home factor is for some people,” he said.

“I sort of see myself as I’ve wanted to do this all my life. If I’ve got to move interstate you know to fulfil my dream then that’s what I’ve got to do.

“They (the club) are putting all this faith into me and putting a lot of resources into drafting me, so I want to repay that faith in me out on the field for them.

The 191cm midfielder told foxfooty.com.au at October’s draft combine of his rapid growth spurt, having been about 178cm as an Under 16 — and declared he was still growing due to continuing growing pains leading to some “bad pain and sore knees.”

With just two days until his name is called out by an AFL club, Collier-Dawkins has completed all his last minute meetings with clubs and will spend some much needed time on the couch, resting ahead of what will be one of the biggest days of his life.

“I probably won’t sleep (on Wednesday night), probably toss and turn in bed. (I) just can’t wait to get there, but I’ll try and get some sleep.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-draft-2018-riley-collierdawkins-wants-to-repay-the-faith-to-whatever-club-drafts-him/news-story/34be016fbe15d5f020bd5d83d01a8dd2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 11:07:03 PM »
Here's RCD already in a Tiger guernsey  :thumbsup:

Receiving his guernsey from Balmey:

https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 11:10:45 PM »
VIDEOS from the draft night:

A message for the Tiger Army
Video: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1065551310827601920

Congrats from Dimma
Video: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1065556144263843840

Welcome to our Yellow and Black family:
Video: https://twitter.com/Richmond_FC/status/1065567094954057728

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 11:11:47 PM »

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 11:20:52 PM »
LMAO Thats the Kid I walked past doing an interview at the Tan on Tuesday, I was like wtf is going on here  :rollin

dwaino

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2018, 01:40:44 AM »
Didn’t know much at all about anyone this draft. This guy is one of the only ones I knew of and was under the impression he would go before our pick. Once he fills out he sounds exactly like what we need.

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2018, 05:30:22 AM »

Does anybody know what school he went to?

:thumbsup

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2018, 06:59:14 AM »

Does anybody know what school he went to?

:thumbsup

Salesian
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2018, 09:11:33 AM »
A monster mid. Like it a lot.   

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
New Tiger makes two mums proud

Sam Landsberger,
Herald Sun
23 Nov 2018

A beaming Damien Hardwick interrupted the interview.

“Bit nervous?” Hardwick asked No.20 draft pick Riley Collier-Dawkins.

“Oh yeah. The heart rate was fluctuating, up and down,” Collier-Dawkins replied.

“Ours was a bit the same,” Hardwick said with a smile.

“Congratulations, mate, well done. Feel free to come (to training) tomorrow, or come Monday.”

And with that Collier-Dawkins was a Tiger, hands placed on hips of a Richmond jumper and a smile stretching the cheeks of his face.

Metres away stood Collier-Dawkins’ two mums, Chris Dawkins and Jacinta Collier.

“It means a lot to them,” Collier-Dawkins said of his ­female parents.

“This shows you can come from different backgrounds and upbringings and still achieve whatever you want.

“As long as you apply yourself correctly, you can do anything. It’s been the norm for me. I haven’t experienced anything else. It’s just been routine really.”

The Tigers have secured a 191cm midfielder in Collier-Dawkins — “and I think I’ve got a couple of centimetres left in me” — who was not expected to last to their pick.

Like Western Bulldog superstar Marcus Bontempelli and Carlton co-captain Patrick Cripps, there won’t be many midfielders Collier-Dawkins can’t look in the eye.

He averaged 18 disposals in this year’s TAC Cup and 12 disposals for Vic Metro, but half of his touches were contested possessions and clubs love his big frame.

And so Richmond list chief Blair Hartley took a crew of ­Tigers to Collier-Dawkins’ Chadstone home on Tuesday for a last-minute interview.

It was the final tick in the box, according to recruiting chief Matthew Clarke.

“He’s a big powerful boy, isn’t he?” Clarke said.

“We had some blokes rated around our pick and Riley was a little bit higher than that, so it was good that he got through.”

Collier-Dawkins left that interview thinking his future probably lay elsewhere.

“It was a real casual conversation. They just gave my ­parents an overview of what happens if they take me and I presumed in my own mind I’d go a bit earlier,” he said.

The Tigers rated Collier-Dawkins higher than No.20 and were strongly linked to Liam Stocker, who was picked up by Carlton the selection earlier after a bold trade with Adelaide.

As for Chris and Jacinta?

“They’re absolutely rapt (I’m staying) at home,” Collier-Dawkins said.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-draftee-riley-collierdawkins-makes-two-mums-proud/news-story/e72a1fca3da412b1a0897d7fbee95560

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2018, 10:53:21 AM »
Buckenara:

I had Richmond recruit Riley Collier-Dawkins ranked as the 15th-best player in this draft but he slipped through to selection 20 for the Tigers, who will be thrilled with that pick.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/afl-draft-2018-gary-buckenara-names-his-top-50-draft-prospects/news-story/fed0b035e5482fd13b98537578ea559a

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2018, 10:58:11 AM »
Thoughts of BF posters Knightmare & Snoop Dog who have done draft summaries for years.

Knightmare's pre-draft summary of RCD:

9. Riley Collier-Dawkins (VIC)

Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 193cm, 88kg
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Projected draft range: 9-19
Plays like: Marcus Bontempelli

Rationale: First possession winner at stoppages with a burst of speed and clean skills. Rises on the back of re-evaluation of upside and the sense that once he grows into his body, having grown 7cm over the past 12 months.

October Ranking: 16

Strengths:
Impact per possession
Wins first possession at stoppages on the move
Contested ball winning
Clean at ground level
Distribution by hand
Kicking
Vision
Decision making in traffic
Acceleration
Agility
Evasiveness in traffic
Overhead marking
Contested marking
Capable through midfield or up forward
Upside

Weaknesses:

Production
Consistency
Quiet when not around the ball at stoppages

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2018-afl-draft-almanac.1188131/

----------------------------------------------------------------

Snoop Dog's summary:

# 13

Riley Collier-Dawkins / Oakleigh Chargers / 191cm

So hard to pick where he goes. On talent he is higher than here but he has some question marks around him that I suspect may cause recruiters to question where to place him. Some might go yep we got Cripps wrong and thought he wasn’t a great runner so not making same mistake with Riley. Others might look at consistency. Who knows. What I know is at his best he is a top 10 talent in the pool. His work around stoppages is very good. He is clean, he extracts and he gives to advantage. He can play on the outside and some of his ball use against the best at Champs was very good. Can also play forward so he gives scope.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/snoop-dog-2018-mock-draft.1208884/

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2018, 11:00:09 AM »
Really like the way he talks about growing up with two mums. Just seems like a really nice, level-headed kid.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2018, 11:02:26 AM »
I am happy he is weighing in at 88kgs and not some beanpole.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond