Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 201416 times)

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #675 on: January 07, 2021, 03:19:23 PM »
Ridiculous that Stack has spent so long in prison for a minor public health offence.
It is worth mentioning that Western Australia has the highest indigenous incarceration rate in the country and still has the outlook of a penal colony. Hopefully the club supports him through this, even if they can't send anyone to WA for the 'trial'

Not wrong there on those facts and it aren't no coincidence.
It’s a bloody disgrace Stack was denied bail and put in jail (solitary confinement apparently)
The club should do all it can to help him.

This absolutely shook me when I watched it. I had no idea this happened in our country.

https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/australias-shame-promo/7649462

If you haven’t seen this I would highly recommend that everyone does.

Record stuck, record stuck, record stuck, record stuck..........

If every one of your posts on this subject is outrage shock and anger it losses its effect.

Have you considered that the incarceration might be doing him a favour and maybe the wakeup call Sydney needs, it worked for Marlion.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #676 on: January 07, 2021, 03:37:43 PM »
Ridiculous that Stack has spent so long in prison for a minor public health offence.
It is worth mentioning that Western Australia has the highest indigenous incarceration rate in the country and still has the outlook of a penal colony. Hopefully the club supports him through this, even if they can't send anyone to WA for the 'trial'

It’s a bloody disgrace Stack was denied bail and put in jail (solitary confinement apparently)

This absolutely shook me when I watched it. I had no idea this happened in our country.

If every one of your posts on this subject is outrage shock and anger it losses its effect.

Have you considered that the incarceration might be doing him a favour and maybe the wakeup call Sydney needs, it worked for Marlion.

Either that or he will come out of it with drug dealing qualifications and a sore bum

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #677 on: January 07, 2021, 04:38:50 PM »
He has been remanded in custody and refused bail because this is his 2nd breach of the COVID rules in WA, so therefore his 2nd offence

Not his first

We may  not like the rules, agree with them but they are the rules/laws of WA as they stand currently during this pandemic

At what point does Sydney or anyone else for that matter actually take individual responsibility for their actions?

I heard his manager on the news last  night saying Sydney "is doing it tough". Maybe now the penny may finally drop. Actions have consequences
here, here

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #678 on: January 08, 2021, 05:44:43 PM »
Ch 7 just mentioned Stack has been released from jail.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #679 on: January 08, 2021, 05:47:05 PM »
'Bewildering experience': Stack granted bail, to be released from prison

Anthony Colangelo
The Age
January 8, 2021

Richmond's Sydney Stack has been granted bail and will be released from a Western Australian jail for the first time since mid-December.

Stack was arrested on December 19 for allegedly breaching the conditions of his coronavirus exemption into the state.

A Perth judge granted Stack bail on Friday and he will face court again on January 20, ending his three-week stint in prison.

Stack's lawyer, Tom Percy QC said it may take some time before the court issues a final verdict on the matter.

"I think the court was of a view that at the end of the day, when he is finally dealt with, if he is convicted, that it wasn't inevitable that he'd be imprisoned," Mr Percy told reporters.

"I understand it has been a difficult time for him but hopefully he can get over that and move ahead.

"I imagine he'd be very relieved.

"Being in custody over the Christmas period for the first time is a bewildering experience for anyone."

Stack's manager, Paul Peos told reporters that he would speak to his client first before sharing details on a possible return to Melbourne and Richmond's pre-season training, which begins on Monday.

"He [Sydney] will be very pleased," Peos said. "It's been very hard, I haven't been able to get much communication with him in the last couple of days.

"They [Richmond] have been very supportive throughout this process, they just wanted to see him out."

Being in custody over the Christmas period for the first time is a bewildering experience for anyone.

The 20-year-old was denied bail the day after he was arrested, having been let into WA on compassionate grounds on December 10. Those compassionate grounds stated he had to quarantine for 14-days, however he was allegedly found at a party in the early hours of the morning during that period. Police also alleged Stack was not living at his nominated quarantine address.

Richmond have been providing support to Stack although they have not been able to have a representative in court because of WA's border restrictions.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-s-stack-granted-bail-to-be-released-from-prison-20210108-p56sph.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #680 on: January 08, 2021, 06:55:28 PM »
Ch 7 said the Club hasn't commented as Stack's case is still before the courts. His future to be determined by the outcome of the court hearing on Jan 20.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #681 on: January 09, 2021, 09:56:15 AM »
Ch 7 news also said as part of his bail conditions he must stay with a aunt in Perth until his next court date in late January, "where his future will be decided"

So Syd won't be joining training any time soon

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #682 on: January 09, 2021, 01:51:22 PM »
His manager, Paul Peos, said Stack needed to focus on recovering from his ordeal in the coming weeks, and thanked the Tiger rookie's supporters.

"We are very relieved and pleased to have Syd released on bail today and grateful that the Supreme Court agreed with our position on the matter," Peos said in a statement. 

"We have been overwhelmed with messages and offers of support from all around Australia for Sydney and must also say a public thankyou for the ongoing support of the Richmond Football Club in terms of his welfare.

"It has been a terribly challenging time for Sydney and our focus is on his near and longer term well-being. He has a significant period of physical, mental and spiritual healing and rehabilitation in front of him and we request some privacy as he works through these immediate challenges."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/540005/-a-terribly-challenging-time-stack-released-from-jail

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #683 on: January 09, 2021, 02:34:04 PM »
So why didn't Jesse Hogan go to jail? Hometown boy or just that he's white? Pretty obvious to me WA justice is color biased.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #684 on: January 09, 2021, 02:48:41 PM »

You obviously think incarceration for doing hardly anything wrong and minor offences is ok.
And you obviously know nothing about life in prison nor do you value true justice for real crimes.

When your son gets bail denied for spitting on the road whilst jaywalking remember that you hope he learns his lesson whilst in solitaire confinement.  :shh
The club that keeps giving.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #685 on: January 09, 2021, 03:00:00 PM »
So why didn't Jesse Hogan go to jail? Hometown boy or just that he's white? Pretty obvious to me WA justice is color biased.
Copped a fine for a first offence IIRC unlike multiple breacher Stack. Stack copped a warning from WA authorities the first time he broke the covid rules there (after he had broken the covid rules in Qld) but still didn't listen. After breaking the rules three times (four if you count the double offence) he shouldn't be surprised that his own stupidity eventually resulted in a harsh punishment.   
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #686 on: January 10, 2021, 04:26:12 AM »
A much happier Sydney Stack out and about tonight after three weeks in jail. Here’s hoping he gets it together and can find his way and return to being a @Richmond_FC regular. Footy is good for him I just hope he realises that very quickly.

https://twitter.com/TimGossage/status/1347528295043059714

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #687 on: January 10, 2021, 10:10:23 AM »
Copped a fine for a first offence IIRC unlike multiple breacher Stack. Stack copped a warning from WA authorities the first time he broke the covid rules there (after he had broken the covid rules in Qld) but still didn't listen. After breaking the rules three times (four if you count the double offence) he shouldn't be surprised that his own stupidity eventually resulted in a harsh punishment.

I am trying to work out each breach - are we counting what happened in queensland? If so, why would the WA Govt count what happened outside of it’s jurisdiction?
Then, he’s breached the WA Govt quarantine direction twice post going to his grandfather’s funeral.
Is that it?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #688 on: January 10, 2021, 10:41:23 AM »
A much happier Sydney Stack out and about tonight after three weeks in jail. Here’s hoping he gets it together and can find his way and return to being a @Richmond_FC regular. Footy is good for him I just hope he realises that very quickly.

https://twitter.com/TimGossage/status/1347528295043059714
Looks like he had time to get a tattoo, will need to do some heavy training after 2.5 weeks inside

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #689 on: January 10, 2021, 01:22:33 PM »

I hope like everyone else on this site that Sydney gets back on track but having said that there is little if any evidence to support the assertion that jail rehabilitates people. It has long been recognized that jail is used overwhelming for punitive purposes not for rehabilitative purposes.