Author Topic: Sydney Stack [merged]  (Read 201420 times)

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Sydney Stack [merged]
« Reply #690 on: January 10, 2021, 02:36:09 PM »
Ridiculous that Stack has spent so long in prison for a minor public health offence.
It is worth mentioning that Western Australia has the highest indigenous incarceration rate in the country and still has the outlook of a penal colony. Hopefully the club supports him through this, even if they can't send anyone to WA for the 'trial'

Not wrong there on those facts and it aren't no coincidence.
It’s a bloody disgrace Stack was denied bail and put in jail (solitary confinement apparently)
The club should do all it can to help him.

This absolutely shook me when I watched it. I had no idea this happened in our country.

https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/australias-shame-promo/7649462

If you haven’t seen this I would highly recommend that everyone does.

Record stuck, record stuck, record stuck, record stuck..........

If every one of your posts on this subject is outrage shock and anger it losses its effect.

Have you considered that the incarceration might be doing him a favour and maybe the wakeup call Sydney needs, it worked for Marlion.

I hope like everyone else on this site that Sydney gets back on track but having said that there is little if any evidence to support the assertion that jail rehabilitates people. It has long been recognized that jail is used overwhelming for punitive purposes not for rehabilitative purposes.

What does Stack need rehab from? Being a professional athlete? Having a break over Christmas?

It's definitely punitive/a deterrent for him. Bit of a taste of what life can be like on the other side of the law.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #691 on: January 10, 2021, 03:16:23 PM »
I'd be surprised to see him play any games this year but hope he proves me wrong. 

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #692 on: January 11, 2021, 06:00:35 AM »
Id like to see him play at least 16 games in order to lift his trade value.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #693 on: January 11, 2021, 07:30:30 AM »
Ridiculous that Stack has spent so long in prison for a minor public health offence.
It is worth mentioning that Western Australia has the highest indigenous incarceration rate in the country and still has the outlook of a penal colony. Hopefully the club supports him through this, even if they can't send anyone to WA for the 'trial'

Not wrong there on those facts and it aren't no coincidence.
It’s a bloody disgrace Stack was denied bail and put in jail (solitary confinement apparently)
The club should do all it can to help him.

This absolutely shook me when I watched it. I had no idea this happened in our country.

https://www.abc.net.au/4corners/australias-shame-promo/7649462

If you haven’t seen this I would highly recommend that everyone does.

Record stuck, record stuck, record stuck, record stuck..........

If every one of your posts on this subject is outrage shock and anger it losses its effect.

Have you considered that the incarceration might be doing him a favour and maybe the wakeup call Sydney needs, it worked for Marlion.

I hope like everyone else on this site that Sydney gets back on track but having said that there is little if any evidence to support the assertion that jail rehabilitates people. It has long been recognized that jail is used overwhelming for punitive purposes not for rehabilitative purposes.

What does Stack need rehab from? Being a professional athlete? Having a break over Christmas?

It's definitely punitive/a deterrent for him. Bit of a taste of what life can be like on the other side of the law.

As a general statement the prevailing research in this area states that jail has little deterrent effect. Again I really hope that he gets his life back on track.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #694 on: January 11, 2021, 08:17:56 AM »
As a specific statement, if we start throwing people in jail for minor indiscretions like this, we won’t have anyway to put the dangerous ones.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #695 on: January 11, 2021, 11:48:57 AM »
Riewoldt said the club would continue to support Sydney Stack, who was recently released on bail in WA after he allegedly breached the state's coronavirus laws.

"It is disappointing as a senior player when someone finds themselves in trouble," Riewoldt said.

"We're not going to give up on Sydney Stack. He is a young man that has got a lot of issues, he's got a lot of potential, but most importantly now we put the football side of things to one side and we want to continue to grow him as a young man.

"He has got some fantastic traits and he unfortunately found himself in a situation which was [allegedly] against the law, and certainly the wrong thing to do.

"We are going to continue to turn him into a Richmond man."

Source: The Age

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #696 on: January 11, 2021, 12:43:44 PM »
More from Jack about Stack:

“But when we engaged Sydney to come to our football club we weren’t under an illusion that he was going to come in and it was going to be a really smooth transition.

“We expected that we were going to have some small issues with him.

“When you take on a young man like Sydney, who hasn’t been afforded a lot of the luxuries that a lot of Australian children grow up with, you know that it’s going to be a project.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/richmond-tigers/richmond-tigers-expected-small-issues-when-recruiting-sydney-stack-says-jack-riewoldt-ng-b881766006z

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #697 on: January 11, 2021, 04:03:48 PM »
So, according to a few posters on this forum, let’s throw him in jail to “teach him a lesson”.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #698 on: January 11, 2021, 04:16:19 PM »
Vision has emerged that shows Richmond utility Sydney Stack in a street fight in the Perth party district of Northbridge.

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/vision-emerges-of-afl-player-sydney-stack-in-wild-street-fight-despite-order-to-quarantine-c-1809022

Stack is claiming he had to move from his original quarantine address to Belmont 100km away after a family fight.

Can someone share footage of this “wild brawl”. The video from this link shows a lot of running away (not a dig at Stack - probably one of the more mature decisions he made)

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #699 on: January 12, 2021, 09:23:56 PM »
So, according to a few posters on this forum, let’s throw him in jail to “teach him a lesson”.

So HRT please show the posts of those who suggested "let’s throw him in jail to “teach him a lesson”.

I can't recall anyone who suggested that, but I haven't read all the posts.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #700 on: January 12, 2021, 10:29:29 PM »
There’s a “serves him right” mentality from a few posters which I think is one dimensional and short sighted.
Sometimes sport is a microcosm of society and you can see why we have some of the issues we have between he haves and the have nots.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #701 on: January 13, 2021, 08:18:46 AM »
HRT I am still waiting for those posts you claim were posted or did you just pull them out of your preverbial.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #702 on: January 13, 2021, 11:19:15 AM »
It does serve him right
He did the wrong thing multiple times .. the simple fact is he can’t be trusted to do the right thing .. whether you agree with a law or not isn’t the point

That’s far from “throw him in jail to teach him a lesson”

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #703 on: January 13, 2021, 11:19:28 AM »
Why don’t you explain how throwing Sydney in jail will “wake him up” like it did to Marlion Pickett

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #704 on: January 13, 2021, 11:20:48 AM »
Why don’t you explain how throwing Sydney in jail will “wake him up” like it did to Marlion Pickett

I didn’t say that