Author Topic: AFL Draft 2019  (Read 62982 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
AFL Draft 2019
« on: April 30, 2019, 12:43:23 PM »
Very early days and the ladder will change significantly by the end of the season but we currently have picks 11, 29, 42 (tied to Gold Coast), 65, 72 (tied to Geelong) & 83.

Essendon & Collingwood have no first round picks while Adelaide is so far winning on their swap of 1st rounders with Carlton.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-30/indicative-draft-order-crows-early-winners-giants-eye-top10-pick

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: AFL Draft 2019
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 03:19:17 PM »
Midway of the year and the ladder will change but our picks currently are 13, 31, 38, 67, 72 & 85.

Having the Suns' 3rd rounder after doing a swap is working out well for us. We jump from 49 up to 38.

Meanwhile, Carlton have effectively traded picks 1 & 19 for Stocker & pick 11 lol.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-06-04/indicative-draft-order-after-round-11

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 08:44:43 PM »

Meanwhile, Carlton have effectively traded picks 1 & 19 for Stocker & pick 11 lol.

Do you reckon this will mean the end of the Buddy/Tambling cracks?

Somehow I doubt it.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 11:22:22 PM »
Really hope we try and trade for lower picks...  :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 12:37:03 PM »
We've spoken to Elijah Taylor (U18 WA). He is a Tiger supporter and also a former teammate of Stack.

Excitement machine revved up for finale

Jordan McArdle
West Australian
3 July 2019

Elijah Taylor is excited at the opportunity to strut his stuff on Marvel Stadium today as WA chase the national under-18 title against Vic Country.

The Perth forward has been one of WA’s stars at the carnival, booting six majors in three matches, including a three-goal performance against the Allies, to help his State to a 2-1 record.

The Black Swans’ hopes of knocking off the unbeaten Vic Country and winning the carnival for the first time in a decade received a massive boost when ruckman Luke Jackson was cleared to play.

The former basketballer, who is averaging 37 hit-outs, 13 disposals and four clearances to be in All-Australian contention, has recovered from a head knock sustained against the Allies.

“It’ll be pretty exciting, especially with what’s at stake,” Taylor said.

“Suma (coach Peter Sumich) told us at training how much the game means, but we’re trying not to get too ahead of ourselves, we just want to go out there and have fun.”

Taylor said Sumich wasn’t afraid to tell players where they had to improve, and his strict standards had driven the group.

As for the West Coast great’s best piece of advice?

“He told me just to take the game on and show my flair,” Taylor said.

Taylor has spoken with five interstate clubs — Richmond, St Kilda, Adelaide, Greater Western Sydney and Carlton.

The 18-year-old, who barracks for the Tigers and stays in touch with former Perth teammate Sydney Stack, admits his first interview with an AFL recruiter was “nerve-racking”.

“After that you kind of get used to it, getting more experience in getting interviewed and getting used to the questions,” Taylor said.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/excitement-machine-elijah-taylor-revved-up-for-national-under-18-finale-ng-b881247741z

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 11:27:40 AM »
So handy young players still available in the teens around our would-be pick if the draft panned out this way.

Cal Twomey's 2019 Phantom Form Guide: Post U18 Champs

AFL.com.au
Callum Twomey
Jul 5, 2019

1. Rowell
2. Anderson
3. Serong
4. Young
5. Ash
6. Green
7. Kemp
8. McAsey
9. Stephens
10. Flanders
11. Worrell
12. Henry
13. Gould
14. Robertson
15. Taylor
16. Williams
17. Macginness
18. Mead
19. Taheny
20. Weightman
21. Jackson
22. Dow
23. Jones
24. De Koning
25. Day

Full summaries here: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-05/cal-twomeys-2019-phantom-form-guide-july

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 10:58:06 PM »
Some of the highlights of Taylor's carnival were apparently very impressive. Shows moments of utter brilliance, and according to Sumich will really benefit from getting into the AFL system to build consistency in his game.

I really rate what Sumich says. Last year he reckoned Stack was the best WA prospect and we have seen how that turned out.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 11:08:57 PM »
This year and next year's first for GC's first....chuck in Menadud for a token late pick....  :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »
The WA young gun with star dust in his blood

AFL.com.au
Callum Twomey
Jul 9, 2019

TIM KELLY is his mum's second cousin. The Kickett brothers – Dale and Derek – are on his dad's side of the family, while Nicky Winmar and Paddy Ryder are also in his bloodlines.

On family links alone, Elijah Taylor looks a first-round pick at this year's NAB AFL Draft.

He might be anyway. Taylor proved himself to be one of the most exciting prospects in this year's draft crop at the under-18 championships, pushing himself into top-20 contention.

He played every game for Western Australia, helped it claim the title and was named an All Australian at the end of the carnival.

"I've been a little bit surprised. In the games I played I did pretty well, so I'm just trying to get more consistency in my game," Taylor told AFL.com.au.

The 185cm forward combines a number of skills to have a bag full of tricks. He has a high natural leap, is strong overhead and is dangerous around goal. He booted six for the carnival, including three against the Allies.

"I didn't play last year and didn't play state under-16s, so I didn't know what to expect," Taylor said.

"Playing in the first game was pretty good, in the first five minutes I got a mark and a goal and it was a good start to the championships."

Without gathering huge numbers, Taylor showed flashes of his ability across the championships, including daring runs and even a double blind turn that dumbfounded South Australian players in WA's second game.

"I just had one glimpse and saw there was three players there. I'm pretty aware of what's around me when I get the ball, so I didn’t really have many options. I just took the game on and it worked out," the 18-year-old said.

Taylor wants to build on what he has shown so far. He is aiming to feature at senior level in Perth's WAFL side, and wants to add some reliability to his game, making his best games more common and rounded.

He has received some advice from his footballing family members on how to do that, occasionally speaking to Geelong star Kelly about his progress.

"I've had a few messages with him here and there, and he's said to just keep going," Taylor said.

"I try not to think about it all too much but when I do it is pretty exciting. For now I'm just focused on my footy," he said.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-09/the-wa-young-gun-with-star-dust-in-his-blood

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 04:18:54 PM »
Sounds an exciting prospect and if he's best available at first pick then fair enough...would prefer an inside mid then a kpd befure a medium forward though...unless he can also run through the middle..... :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 04:29:51 PM »
Heard that if the AFL give GC a priority pick at the start of round one it'll be on the condition that they have to trade it......we should be all over that.... :shh :shh

- Gustav Mahler

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »
Menadue & Butler.....:shh :shh :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 10:03:58 PM »
Heard that if the AFL give GC a priority pick at the start of round one it'll be on the condition that they have to trade it......we should be all over that.... :shh :shh

Unite the Weller brothers  :shh
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 06:41:13 PM »
If the draft were held today we'd have picks 13, 31, 37, 67, 72, 85.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-07-10/indicative-draft-order-suns-hold-top-pick

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2019, 03:37:31 AM »
The Giants are poised to secure gun youngster Tom Green from their academy at this year's draft.

Green, the grandson of four-time Richmond premiership winner Michael Green, is a big-bodied midfielder in the vein of Carlton's Patrick Cripps.

The Canberra product has been touted as a potential top-five pick after starring at this year's national under-18 championships for the Allies.

If a rival club was to bid for Green at No.5, based on current ladder positions the Giants would have to use picks 10 (which they received from Essendon as part of the Dylan Shiel deal) and 14. The leftover points from the latter pick would see them slide down to 17.

Despite his family ties to the Tigers, Green is open minded about where he ends up next year.

"The Giants have been very, very good to me through the academy," Green said.

"Where I'd like to play is whoever wants me. If it's the Giants that'd be awesome, if another club wants me I just want to play where I'm wanted."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/afl-to-make-changes-to-academy-draft-rules-20190710-p525yi.html