Author Topic: Deafening silence from teammates on Rance  (Read 19051 times)

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Deafening silence from teammates on Rance
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 02:42:25 PM »
So my theory which is a pure guess is Rance’s retirement isn’t 100% set in stone yet. And they’re giving him time to mull it over. Kind of like Hodge’s retirement from hawthorn. Well that’s what I’m praying for anyway

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2019, 04:13:34 PM »
For me timing was odd should have been done before trade period or list lodgement.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2019, 05:18:58 PM »
I'm hoping he retires and comes back after the bye

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2019, 07:45:10 PM »
I don’t have a theory but I do have a few questions which no one seems to have any idea about answering which fuels defensive posters from those who don’t want to think we might have a slightly selfish footballer in our midst.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline amc11

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 08:14:55 PM »
I don’t have a theory but I do have a few questions which no one seems to have any idea about answering which fuels defensive posters from those who don’t want to think we might have a slightly selfish footballer in our midst.

I sincerely hope we do have a slightly selfish footballer in our midst !  Alex Rance has given his all to Richmond for the last 12 years and he needs a break.  He almost walked away from the game previously and we as supporters have been privileged to see him play on until now.  Reading Konrad Marshall's new book clearly gives an indication of just how tough this season has been for Rance.  I posted the following on a different forum: 

Because it's seen as an early retirement I think people find it much harder to accept. What we all (mostly) forget is that to a full time professional AFL footballer this is their job, they are employees, Richmond/AFL the employer, the club is their workplace, their teammates are work colleagues, and it is an abnormal working environment which they enter into usually from 18 years of age. Thankfully Richmond are turning the tide and setting the new standard by bringing the fun back into the game for many of the players. However for most footy fans our viewpoint is coloured by what we want for our team without fully considering what is in the best interest of the individual players. Alex Rance has always had diverse interests away from football, creating balance between all interests was becoming harder and harder for him to maintain and as mentioned in Konrad Marshall's new book Stronger & Bolder when he asked Alex about other pure joyful moments throughout the season, his response was:

"Not really. It's been a hard year. I've put on a brave face and gone about my business and tried to look a short distance in front of me - do this session well, do something to make someone better, do something to make people laugh - but it has been a real grind. I'm really tired. I'm really looking forward to going away. Because when you have to manufacture that enthusiasm, it does exhaust you". (page 135)

He goes on to say if he didn't feel genuinely cared for at the club it would be a lot harder. The way I see it long service leave is way overdue, and when you constantly give that much of yourself you absolutely have to take time out to recharge, to re-energise, and to re-balance. It's imperative for long term health, both physical, mental, emotional and spiritual.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 03:09:48 AM »
Conspiracy theories were inevitable.... :whistle
Once a baseless story gets on social media it spreads like anything.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/best-football-related-rumour-you-have-heard-from-someone-you-trust.1208031/post-63954123

Directly from a former rookie at the Tigers who is still very good friends with several players at the club.

It was posted on twitter and someone else on reddit. Also a lot of people posting it on various AFL pages on Facebook.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 01:03:46 PM »
Better than nothing. Mid season preferable though

Offline skiddymcghee

• Future Richmond star
  • "Be the Ball
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2019, 04:16:33 PM »
He will be back in late 2020 season!!! :thumbsup

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2019, 09:08:13 PM »
Rance has split with his wife. Obviously there's a lot going on in his life at the moment. Might explain the "silence ".

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/page-13/alex-rance-and-wife-georgia-separates-following-exafl-stars-retirement/news-story/10e368929827e662e15b11512cc499df
Unleash the tornado

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2019, 09:55:27 PM »
nothing to see here WP told us, and please dont comment either.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2019, 09:59:40 PM »
Let's hope the media leave him alone so he can work through any issues in his own time.  Poor fellow but unfortunately a common occurrence these days.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2019, 10:11:39 PM »
i read somewhere his wife wanted him to continue playing, or was that the other way around.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2019, 05:06:07 AM »
Paywall, share anyone please?

Heard this rumour a few days ago but rubbished it. He must be in a very dark place RN. All the best to him :(

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2019, 05:56:13 AM »
It is what it is

Not sure why people can't just accept it and move on

Looking for things that aren't there. Why? Because it is easier to accept?

It is what it is

Unfortunately, when footballers are involved, there’s always something more than the straightforward involved.
Say no more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7829967/amp/AFL-superstar-Alex-Rance-SPLITS-wife-Georgia.html
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2019, 07:30:39 AM »
nothing to see here WP told us, and please dont comment either.

Great effort

Wouldn't expect anything less from your cheap seats

And I would think a marriage breakdown is none of our business so there is still nothing to see here IMO.

Unless of course you enjoy the need to be captivated by it.

Unfortunately, when footballers are involved, there’s always something more than the straightforward involved.
Say no more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7829967/amp/AFL-superstar-Alex-Rance-SPLITS-wife-Georgia.html

As I said above a marriage breakdown is none of our business even though Rupert's media likes to think it is

To be honest I have no idea why it is being reported because it isn't news! But it is Rupert's Medicare are talking about isn't it? Tabloid trash 101

Does this change anything? Nope

It still is what it is
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 07:48:09 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)