Author Topic: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]  (Read 71594 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: Maurice Rioli junior [merged]
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2020, 01:47:37 PM »
FRO FREO!!! >:( :thumbsdown
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2020, 03:14:25 PM »
Freo can interview him all they like. The Bombers will probably too although they are slightly busy at the moment trying to bolt shut all Tullamarine exits  ;D. In the end, Maurice jnr makes the decision which club he chooses to go to and from all reports that will be Richmond. He was already training with us before covid hit.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2020, 03:17:35 PM »
Is he living in Melbourne at the moment?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2020, 03:30:12 PM »
He's been going to school at Scotch this year as far as I know. Not sure how it's worked with covid given I think he was boarding there.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2020, 03:36:13 PM »
He's been going to school at Scotch this year as far as I know. Not sure how it's worked with covid given I think he was boarding there.

OK thanks. The fact that he was boarding at Scotch would help our case you'd think, in that he has some exposure to Melbourne life already.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2020, 05:54:40 AM »
Fremantle set to interview Maurice Rioli Jr.

Paywall: https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/midweek-moneyball-dyson-heppells-plea-to-adam-saad-plus-latest-afl-trade-and-contract-news-ng-f575f3dc6abb47a4e3a6828662f0fa24
Here's the article:

The Fremantle Dockers are headed for a tug-of-war with Richmond to sign son-of-a-gun Maurice Rioli Junior.

Everything has been pointing to Maurice Rioli Jr playing at Richmond next year, but the Dockers aren’t giving up hope just yet.

Rioli, who played some eye-catching games in the NTFL early this year, is at Scotch College and has been following a training program to keep fit given there has been no APS footy or NAB League footy for the Oakleigh Chargers.

The draft candidate is eligible for selection under the father-son rule at both the Tigers and the Dockers, given his Dad’s WAFL history.

The son of the late South Fremantle legend could also join Essendon as part of its next generation academy.

The footy world would be shocked if he chose not to play at the Tigers given his dad’s history there and cousin Daniel Rioli is at Punt Rd.

His father is a three-time All-Australian, dual best-and-fairest winner and the first Indigenous player in the league to win a Norm Smith Medal, and fellow Tiwi Islands product Daniel has claimed two flags.

But despite Rioli having spent plenty of time with the Tigers at Punt Rd he hasn’t officially chosen his preferred destination yet and the Dockers will be keen at least make an official pitch.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #201 on: October 14, 2020, 03:25:36 AM »
Callum Twomey on SEN said that we will get Maurice Rioli jnr with a late pick.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=743548

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2020, 01:43:17 PM »
Tigers 'keeping an eye' on father-son Rioli

By Callum Twomey
afl.com.au
16 October 2020

RICHMOND is keeping close tabs on father-son prospect Maurice Rioli Jnr as the Tigers approach this year's NAB AFL Draft.

Rioli, the son of former Richmond great and Norm Smith medallist Maurice, is eligible for this year's draft.

The talented small forward is also eligible to join Fremantle under father-son rules and could also have opted to be linked with Essendon under Next Generation Academy rules.

However Rioli, who is the cousin of current Richmond forward Daniel Rioli, is keen to head to Punt Road and shifted to Melbourne from the Northern Territory to board at Scotch College.

Tigers recruiting manager Matt Clarke told this week's Road to the Draft podcast the club was keeping in contact with Rioli throughout this lost season for draftees in Victoria.

"He's been down here going to school doing his remote learning through Scotch as most boys were. He's been doing some work on his own as much as he can. It's been difficult for Maurice and a lot of those boys who probably needed some more exposure through their school footy this year and hopefully some NAB League footy as well with Oakleigh," Clarke said.

"He's been working away with school and keeping his fitness up. It's about all they can really do given the restrictions in Melbourne.

"He's got a lot of talent. We've obviously done some work with him, he's been at the club before last year just briefly but we're keeping an eye on his progress for sure."

Rioli put in an eye-catching our-goal performance earlier this year playing for St Mary's in the NT with four goals in the semi final.

Rivals see Rioli as a likely later selection and Clarke said the Tigers would be considering adding the son of the club legend to their list.

"He'll be a discussion point for us at some point in the draft I would have thought or the rookie draft or whatever it looks like," Clarke said.

"He's got a bit of work to do, Maurice, he knows that, but it would have been good [to have] another season for him whether if it was even six to eight games as they had originally planned. It would have been great for him to do that, so he'll come into discussion for us."

Maurice senior played 118 games and won the 1982 Norm Smith Medal in a glittering career that also saw him play 168 games for South Fremantle. He died in 2010.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/518160/tigers-keeping-an-eye-on-father-son-rioli

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #203 on: October 28, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
The HeraldSun has fixed their earlier report saying Maurice jnr was going to Melbourne  :wallywink.

The premier will secure Maurice Rioli Jr in the draft and while he will take time to develop after a year with only a handful of NTFL games, he will be another small forward on the club’s list.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/moneyball-column-all-the-latest-afl-trade-draft-free-agency-and-list-news%2Fnews-story/2491b5bec2cf18e60311f52aeebebf68

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #204 on: October 28, 2020, 05:35:40 PM »
LOL at that Dees supporter on SEN just now saying the HeraldSun was right and he is looking forward to MJR signing as a cat B rookie for Melbourne  :rollin.

Melbourne's academy zone is Alice Springs not the whole NT :stupid.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #205 on: November 04, 2020, 03:06:11 AM »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #206 on: November 04, 2020, 07:08:09 AM »
Will Maurice Rioli Jr want his dad’s No.17 jumper if he joins Richmond at this year’s national draft?

https://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/will-maurice-rioli-jr-want-his-dads-no17-jumper-if-he-joins-richmond-at-this-years-national-draft/news-story/86fe1f7fc5ebd544b18b53957ad14965

What about number 27? His Father wore that one too
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 09:15:07 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #207 on: November 04, 2020, 08:04:37 PM »
I think Maurice also wore #49 at South Fremantle.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #208 on: November 04, 2020, 08:57:53 PM »
Don't think Daniel is giving up 17 after winning 3 flags in it.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #209 on: November 09, 2020, 03:01:30 PM »
Knightmare on BF:

Rioli Jr I personally like and consider a best-25 in the draft quality prospect. I see him as largely comparable to Daniel Rioli with a very similar game.

Where does he go? I haven't heard any clubs suggest they'll bid anything inside the first two rounds. So probably 40+ there may be a bid. Though looking at his game and how much clubs like those quick pressure forwards now it does surprise me there hasn't been talk of a bid at least somewhere second round.

Maurice fortunately for Richmond hasn't at least to my knowledge attracted that early draft talk. I find it surprising given his capabilities and those pressure forwards attracting high picks in recent years so we'll see if that changes, but my feeling is a bid for Maurice comes later than 36.

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmare-2020-draft-almanac.1234618/page-77