Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 268645 times)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1230 on: August 18, 2018, 02:51:08 PM »
My Carlton flog cousin reckons the free kick counts are just to cover up the umpire making sure we get the frees that matter at the most crucial times in games... :propeller

:shh
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

dwaino

« Reply #1231 on: August 18, 2018, 03:39:03 PM »
So protected that Jack gets ganged up on like a Swedish teenage girl and gets pinged for it.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1232 on: August 18, 2018, 10:28:36 PM »
So protected that Jack gets ganged up on like a Swedish teenage girl and gets pinged for it.

I just googled this to be sure I understood your point.

I was going to watch a replay of the game, but I think I'd better stick with understanding the issue Jack faces.

dwaino

« Reply #1233 on: August 19, 2018, 03:13:13 AM »

I just googled this to be sure I understood your point.

I was going to watch a replay of the game, but I think I'd better stick with understanding the issue Jack faces.

I'm sure it will be an episode of Law and Order: SVU at some point.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1234 on: August 19, 2018, 03:08:04 PM »
Except in the Law & Order episode, the white girl lies about being attacked.... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond ranks last in free kick differential but Jack Riewoldt not getting a bad run this year

Chris Cavanagh,
Herald Sun
18 Aug 2018

LET’S play a game of MythBusters.

Myth 1: Richmond’s Jack Riewoldt gets a bad run with the umpires. BUSTED.

Myth 2: The Tigers are getting the rough end of the stick in the free kick count this season. CONFIRMED.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick made his frustrations clear last night after his team lost the free kick count against Essendon 27-15 at the MCG and suggested Riewoldt would have got more free kicks if he had a red and black jumper on.

“It’s not the free kicks we give away. The vast majority, the 80 per cent (of those) are there,” Hardwick said.

“It is the one’s you don’t get that I find a little bit frustrating. I look at Jack (Riewoldt) tonight and I thought, ‘You know what? He doesn’t get much’.

“And I look at the other end and think, ‘Hmm, I wish he was playing at the other end’, but it is what it is.”

Riewoldt, who leads the Coleman Medal with 60 goals, gave away three free kicks in the eight-point win and received none in return, but overall this season he has now received the same number of free kicks as he has given away at 25-25.

That stacks up reasonably well against some of the competition’s other leading key forwards in Sydney’s Lance Franklin (24-25), Geelong’s Tom Hawkins (19-33) and Greater Western Sydney’s Jeremy Cameron (20-32).

However, the same can’t be said for a host of teammates with the Tigers dead last on the free kick differential count, having now given away 110 more free kicks than they have received this season.

The startling figure is a 204 difference to Collingwood, who topped the free kick differential table after Round 21 with +94.

North Melbourne (+81) and West Coast (+78) also tend to get a favourable run among the whistle-blowers.

While Riewoldt might get relatively looked after, there are others in yellow and black whom are not.

Ruckman Toby Nankervis leads the competition for free kicks against with 54 from his 20 games, while he has received just 29 in return.

Defender Nick Vlastuin has given away 13 more free kicks than he has received at 12-26, Jacob Townsend is 6-16, Jack Graham is 15-26, Shane Edwards is 8-22, Nathan Broad is 7-13 and David Astbury is 13-20.

It’s not a new phenomenon either, with the Tigers having been -65 in the free kick differential last season, having given away the second most of any team behind Geelong.

But while it might frustrate Hardwick, it doesn’t seem to be having much effect on results.

Richmond will finish this year as minor premiers for the first time in 36 years, their push for back-to-back premierships right on track.

FREE KICK DIFFERENTIAL LADDER BEFORE ROUND 22

1. Collingwood +94 (463 for, 369 against)

2. North Melbourne +81 (458, 377)

3. West Coast +78 (463, 385)

4. Adelaide +45 (392, 347)

5. Western Bulldogs +38 (429, 391)

6. Brisbane Lions +22 (439, 417)

7. Hawthorn +14 (424, 410)

8. Carlton +10 (442, 432)

9. Geelong 0 (428, 428)

10. Melbourne -10 (414, 424)

11. Port Adelaide -14 (418, 432)

12. Gold Coast -37 (417, 454)

13. Fremantle -38 (389, 427)

14. Essendon -43 (376, 419)

15. Sydney -46 (400, 446)

16. GWS -48 (386, 434)

17. St Kilda -49 (379, 428)

18. Richmond -98 (361, 459)

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-ranks-last-in-free-kick-differential-but-jack-riewoldt-not-getting-a-bad-run-this-year/news-story/dbf8817fe3e93f55ac8afb35fb902239

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1236 on: August 19, 2018, 07:53:12 PM »
I don't think anything was "BUSTED" about Jack there.

It's not about the fact he's given away the same amount he's received, it's what he hasn't received. Nank on the other hand has no reason to complain because he gives away obvious as hell frees all the time. Jack gave away plenty of frees that were there the other night too, but we just want him to get paid the frees he misses out on every week.

That gimp Mitch Brown got one of the softest frees ever on Friday night. 3rd quarter I think it was. Same thing happens to Jack in every contest except worse. :shh
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1237 on: August 19, 2018, 07:56:02 PM »

It's not about the fact he's given away the same amount he's received, it's what he hasn't received. Nank on the other hand has no reason to complain because he gives away obvious as hell frees all the time. Jack gave away plenty of frees that were there the other night too, but we just want him to get paid the frees he misses out on every week.

That gimp Mitch Brown got one of the softest frees ever on Friday night. 3rd quarter I think it was. Same thing happens to Jack in every contest except worse. :shh
Brown got 2 free goals- 1st and 3rd quarters. Those 2 aren’t paid 90% of the time.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1238 on: August 19, 2018, 07:58:56 PM »

Brown got 2 free goals- 1st and 3rd quarters. Those 2 aren’t paid 90% of the time.
I know, but unfortunately the first one was probably there. Broad not looking at the footy grabbed at his arm.
Pity, because Brown was never marking that ball and he's the shittest, softest & laziest player I have ever seen grace a football field anywhere. Disgusting to see him kick 2 snags because of frees.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1239 on: August 20, 2018, 01:06:00 AM »
Staggering we a negative -98 and top side is + 94 .Even saints second last a still nearly behind us by 50.Like I said 20 or 30 I can live with but that is a joke.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #1240 on: August 20, 2018, 07:16:02 AM »
Staggering we a negative -98 and top side is + 94 .Even saints second last a still nearly behind us by 50.Like I said 20 or 30 I can live with but that is a joke.

umm no, we are - 110

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1241 on: August 20, 2018, 07:54:10 AM »

umm no, we are - 110

Your calculator is broken

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1242 on: August 20, 2018, 08:04:29 AM »

umm no, we are - 110

Your calculator is broken

umm no, we were -98 BEFORE Rd 22 as per the article

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1243 on: August 20, 2018, 05:28:58 PM »
stuffing get over it mate. Point is we're copping a raw deal

enough with the 'umm no' :shh

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1244 on: August 21, 2018, 05:12:25 PM »
stuffing get over it mate. Point is we're copping a raw deal

enough with the 'umm no' :shh

umm no need for you to comment

:shh :shh