Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 354641 times)

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
Let's not let the now "Old Chestnut" of hands in the back go under the radar..... have always said it is a stupid rule simple because the they miss as many as they give .... :banghead

In the final qtr ... Tiges 6 points up with all the momentum, Joel on the lead 30 mts out and not one but two hands in his back and the arms are a flappin "play on" 30 seconds later in the same area Jnr gets a free for a high takles that was below the shoulders.....  :banghead :banghead

Geelong fans sitting behinds us start laughing "geez we were lucky Bowden should have Garny shouldn't have" ....

Bloody fantastic ... another goal to Geelong from a dodgy free

And let's not forget the throw to Johnson by junior in the last either

Look I don't believe in blaming umpires but struth some of the goals that Geelong got gifted yesterday were softer than Richmond were against Carlton the week before  :banghead
Say it how it is, WP  :clapping

I was so spewing at the do-gooders on here bagging our players for doing silly things  ::)

The umpiring was a disgrace and eff the letter of the law  :banghead

Yes it was Moi and the worst decision (and most crucial) of the whole p-poor lot was the free and 50 paid against Jackson.  Absolute disgraceful decision.

Moi

I apologise for taking it out on you people.
The umps upset me so much yesterday I am in melt down.

See you in a week when I've calmed down.

I will say though in parting that if you put up with garbage like that then it makes you complicit in the decisions the AFL make to fix a game that wasn't broke. And because you don't argue, leaves the little darlings open to making more unbelievable changes to what was once a great game.

Apologies again and see you for the game against the Bullies

:gotigers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond

Yes it was Moi and the worst decision (and most crucial) of the whole p-poor lot was the free and 50 paid against Jackson.  Absolute disgraceful decision.

It is a supposed to be a contact sport. tackling is one of the great parts of our game

If the Jackson thing had happened (say 30 seconds) after the disposal of the ball, then fair enough because that is what that rule was bought in for

But to penalise someone for actually laying a tackle is worse than p-poor it's effin joke.

Based on the decision yesterday Jackson should have let go of Corey as he was handballing... Jackson does that and we as supporters would want Jackson's blood for not tackling

This game is beign ruined by nuffers  :banghead :banghead
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 4 goals 2 points to Geelong from 50 metre frees
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2009, 04:49:42 PM »
Tigers won the free kick count the cats won the game.

A LOSS IS A LOSS. whether its 85 points or 20.

not good enough richmond. They are mentally weak to let them win.

That loss has done heaps for my confidence and i have no doubt the players as well. We match it with the cats for a 1/4, flogged them for the another! How many teams have gone in with 2 debutants, a first game club player with 7 games and kicked 8 in a quater against Geelong in recent history? Good on Tigers for trying to match Geelong and not playing flooding football or possesion :clapping It seems that the only football followers bagging our loss yesterday are Richmond supporters, the others are paying us respect

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
The "12" point play was due to an awfull kick by king which went straight to Mooney.No wonder McGuane punched the ball in disgust.
Unleash the tornado

Offline tigerfan1961

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2009, 06:09:41 PM »

Exactly how I feel Daniel- actually missed the footage of the game and was not interested when we lost. Mates have said it was an honourable loss- my view, it is a LOSS, not good enough. From reports in the press, Wallace feels the same as there apparently lots of noise from the coach directed at the players after the game. So there should be too. A loss is a loss in my book, no matter who we play.

Online Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2009, 08:11:01 PM »

Exactly how I feel Daniel- actually missed the footage of the game and was not interested when we lost. Mates have said it was an honourable loss- my view, it is a LOSS, not good enough. From reports in the press, Wallace feels the same as there apparently lots of noise from the coach directed at the players after the game. So there should be too. A loss is a loss in my book, no matter who we play.
A loss is a loss, that states the obvious! What you and Daniel are missing the point on is that a loss, a narrow one that is, can create momemtum. That 3rd quarter, and really the 2nd as well, showed how we can play. Mentally weak is a harsh call as they have bodies bigger than ours. Geelongs body language was puss poor compared to ours. You cant win every game, especially games against Geelong, so be postive as it character building to show foresight in times of trouble. It is mentally weak,as Daniel puts it, to be negative and self handicap. Truth be known, i would have taken 20 point loss before the game, o reckon a few others would have felt the same

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Happens to every team at Kardinia park. Umpires always pleasing the one sided crowd. Its like playing against 20 men on the park.

I hate Kardinia park. Its a disgrace that geelong still play home games there when every other club in Voctoria has lost its suburban ground.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
The "12" point play was due to an awfull kick by king which went straight to Mooney.No wonder McGuane punched the ball in disgust.

Yeah another defining moment that kick by King
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Browny called the punching the ball away rule "silly".

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/tigers-blast-rule-68039

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2009, 10:19:59 PM »

A loss is a loss, that states the obvious! What you and Daniel are missing the point on is that a loss, a narrow one that is, can create momemtum. That 3rd quarter, and really the 2nd as well, showed how we can play. Mentally weak is a harsh call as they have bodies bigger than ours. Geelongs body language was puss poor compared to ours. You cant win every game, especially games against Geelong, so be postive as it character building to show foresight in times of trouble. It is mentally weak,as Daniel puts it, to be negative and self handicap. Truth be known, i would have taken 20 point loss before the game, o reckon a few others would have felt the same

Last week we got smashed and humilliated but this week i feel exactly the same.

We are one week away from virtually not making the finals, yet again.

Same players, same problems i saw yesterday. Tackling in the 3rd was great but why the fu.. cant we do that every week like the Pies do most weeks. I just dont get it!!

No forward structure which is the most worrying sign and yet again Richo leading the way.

Schulz is dead wood and another soon to be Meyer.

Rance was the best thing about yesterday.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2009, 10:27:45 PM »
They showed the Jacko one on Before the Game. So you're now meant to stop a tackle halfway through  ???.

Apologies to Kel. It was Luke who punched the ball away behind the goal. Very silly brain fade.
Yeah stupid thing to do but is worth another goal? They have a pile of footys sitting in a bag behind the goals so it is hardly time wasting and you have to wait for the ads to finnish on tv before they bounce the thing anyway. Maybe a free from the centre square?
They showed the Jacko one on Before the Game. So you're now meant to stop a tackle halfway through  ???.

Apologies to Kel. It was Luke who punched the ball away behind the goal. Very silly brain fade.
Yeah stupid thing to do but is worth another goal? They have a pile of footys sitting in a bag behind the goals so it is hardly time wasting and you have to wait for the ads to finnish on tv before they bounce the thing anyway. Maybe a free from the centre square?
I agree it is a stupid rule and the punishment is over the top as you say GR with the bag of balls and now the time before the next bounce extended to 45 seconds to appease the tv networks  ::). But we know the rule, other players from other clubs have been pinged for it, and you just need to keep your head and discipline and not do it. Same goes for mouthing off at the ump. The modern mantra is don't give the umps even the slightest excuse to pay a free against you. What Lukey did just compounded King's error even it was just out of frustration.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Ball-punch rule 'stupid', Nathan Brown says (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2009, 03:41:20 AM »
Ball-punch rule 'stupid', Nathan Brown says
Jon Ralph | April 06, 2009

RICHMOND forward Nathan Brown yesterday labelled as "stupid" the law penalising players who punch the ball into the crowd after a goal is scored.

The Tigers were hit with a "double goal" at a crucial stage in the third quarter after defender Luke McGuane angrily smashed the ball away after a Cameron Mooney goal.

He was penalised, allowing Tom Hawkins to goal from the top of the goalsquare.

Players and coaches were yesterday united in their opinion that while the rule is valid, the penalty is too extreme.

Brown said on Channel 9 that a free kick from the centre square was more appropriate.

"It's a stupid rule . . . Lukey McGuane has hit the ball away. Obviously you shouldn't do it, but Luke was frustrated," Brown said.

"We go down to Geelong and we are working very hard to get back to just about level pegging, and they pay something like that.

"The umpire has to have a little bit of feel for the spirit of the situation of the game in this situation and probably not pay a free kick in front of the goals.

"Probably a free kick back in the middle would have been better. You have to understand where the game is at.

"Luke probably shouldn't have done it but I didn't think it warranted a free kick right in front either."

The rule was initiated at a time when punching the ball away was seen as time-wasting.

But there is a bag of replacement balls behind the goals, and umpires have 45 seconds to bring the ball back to the centre square, up from 30 seconds.

Geelong midfielder Joel Selwood said the penalty did not seem to fit the crime.

"I wouldn't do it personally but I don't reckon there's too much in it," Selwood said.

"They can get another ball out of the bag.

"At that stage of the game it was pretty crucial to us getting back in front so we will take it any day of the week."

Melbourne assistant coach Scott West told Channel 7 a free kick should be paid from the centre of the ground, not the goalsquare.

"It is a harsh penalty for a brain fade," West said.

"It should be a free kick but it should be back in the centre. After the goal is scored the ball goes back to the centre and it's a free kick."

On Saturday Richmond voiced its disapproval at the new law, which penalised players who held an opponent too long in the tackle.

Coach Terry Wallace said the club would seek clarification on the rule.

Selwood said while the intent of the rule was correct, it was being incorrectly applied.

The rule is supposed to be to prevent professional fouls, but Tiger Daniel Jackson was penalised after holding on to Joel Corey fractionally too long.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25294904-19742,00.html

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
mcguane is an idiot. A rule is a Rule and he should know better.

Blame him.

if he is our 2nd best defender then we are in trouble.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.