Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 360021 times)

the Geesh has as much of an idea about running the rules committee as he did as coach of our club.

absolutely NFI

He isn't even on the "AFL laws of the game committee"

NFI is quite correct.

Moron

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame

the Geesh has as much of an idea about running the rules committee as he did as coach of our club.

absolutely NFI

He isn't even on the "AFL laws of the game committee"

NFI is quite correct.

Moron

wow hello who have we got here.

if i was a betting man id say you are geesh.

similar age, same intellect and a non existent life

yep thats our geesh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Jeff Gieschen says 50m penalty that hurt Tigers was incorrect
Mark Stevens | April 08, 2009

THE AFL umpiring department has conceded Richmond copped a raw deal with the contentious 50m penalty against Daniel Jackson on Saturday.

Jackson was penalised under the new rule designed to deter players from slinging an opponent to the ground after he disposes of the ball. The penalty cost the Tigers a goal.

But after viewing all footage, including from behind the goals, AFL umpiring boss Jeff Gieschen has confirmed the tackle on Geelong's Joel Corey should have been penalised by a free kick only.

What the..... it deserved a free kick? Why? It should have been play on  :banghead

Because apparently, Jacko held him down after the tackle.   ::)  Except I think it's reasonably clear on replay that Corey was the one who wouldn't let Jackson up.

Another fail.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Tigermonk

l been looking at other aspects of the game in the Ruck
l thought Graham rucked well all day & if you look at 1 Ruck contest he was clearly being held by the jumper by the Geelong ruckman in clear view of the umpire 3 metres away & he paid no judgement to the contest which should have been a Richmond free kick at a crucial time when we were also in front of the game
1 umpire with the dark hair was clearly against Richmond most of the day
but anyway its old hat now cause the game is over so we move onto Bulldogs next game

Moi

anyway its old hat now cause the game is over so we move onto Bulldogs next game
Aren't you related to the Giesh
Of course you'd say move on  :rollin

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

THE AFL umpiring department has conceded Richmond copped a raw deal with the contentious 50m penalty against Daniel Jackson on Saturday.

Jackson was penalised under the new rule designed to deter players from slinging an opponent to the ground after he disposes of the ball. The penalty cost the Tigers a goal.

But after viewing all footage, including from behind the goals, AFL umpiring boss Jeff Gieschen has confirmed the tackle on Geelong's Joel Corey should have been penalised by a free kick only.

What the..... it deserved a free kick? Why? It should have been play on  :banghead
So Geisch is saying fully tackling an opponent is no longer allowed in our game anymore and you have to stop half way through ???. How ridiculous can you get!  :banghead
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Looks like they are going soft on off the ball contact this weekend if they follow tonight's game. Too bad they didn't do it last week  ::).

Heath Shaw is a dill for touching an umpire lightly on the arm after what happened to Kirk last week but sheesh if that's the worst thing that happens to an ump then they are really being precious. Vozzo - "you touched me, that's 50m and I'm reporting you". It's heat of the moment stuff and no harm was done :-\.

Jackstar is back

Gieschen also confirmed a 50m penalty against Sydney forward Barry Hall on Saturday night under the same rule was also wrong.

After two rounds, the umpires have paid 14 50m penalties under the "sling" rule, with three deemed incorrect.

The Jackson decision brought the rule sharply into focus because Richmond had momentum in the third quarter and the resulting goal to Corey was a savage blow.

Gieschen confirmed he had spoken to Richmond coach Terry Wallace on the issue on Sunday and again on Monday.

"I guess Richmond would certainly feel aggrieved that the 50m penalty was applied," Gieschen said.

"It is not a free kick and 50 because it wasn't a tackle or sling to the ground after he got rid of the ball.

"It was a secondary action. It should have been a free kick where Jackson and Corey were or where the ball was, whatever was the greatest advantage to Geelong.

"Most people thought the decision was for the initial tackle. It wasn't for that.

"The tackle was fine, Corey got rid of the ball and the umpire called play-on.

"About three seconds after the ball had left Corey's hands, you hear the whistle go again.

"Other footage behind the goals showed Jackson on top of Corey pinning him to the ground, not letting him go. As it is a secondary action, a free kick only should have been paid."

Richmond has conceded five goals from 50m penalties this year, more than any other club.

Despite the 50m penalties under the new rule, the 50m penalty rate has not risen after two rounds. At this stage last year the umps had paid 53 - 45 for general offences and eight for abuse. This year, they have paid 53 - 49 general and four for abuse.

Gieschen backed the decision to penalise Tiger Luke McGuane for time-wasting when he punched the ball away after Cameron Mooney had kicked a goal, costing another third-quarter goal.

HEAVY PENALTY

Goals conceded from 50m penalties

Richmond 5

Fremantle 3

Collingwood 2

Sydney 2

Hawthorn 2

West Coast 1

Brisbane Lions 1

Melbourne 1

Western Bulldogs 1

Adelaide 1

All other clubs 0

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25305871-19742,00.html

absolutely NFI

About the Geesh.
he actually could coach and was one of the first to play players behind the ball and push through the corridor.
Oh, how we forget the win in the last round against Carlton at Princess Park in the 90,s
The Geesh at least showed passion as a coach, unlike the used car salesman we now have. lol.
The Geeshs problem was that once the opposition coaches worked it out, the Geesh didnt have the game plan B or C.
I like the Geesh, at least he was full of CRAP.
Also, you cant blame the umpires for the current situation.
If they dont award the frees as per the rules, they get dropped the following week,.
Apart from the Daniel Jackson incident, the umpiring has been okay
Its the rules that are the problem.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
I like the Geesh, at least he was full of CRAP.
:lol

What would you think of him Jack if you didn't like him  ;D.

I agree Jack it's the rules and especially the interpretations that are the main problem rather than the umps.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Its the rules that are the problem.

Agree 100% +

Best thing you've said on the forum this time round.....  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
If last night's game is any guide the umps have been told to put the whistle away this week after going overboard in the first 3 rounds  ::). Maybe it's part of this umpire friendly round lol.

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
If last night's game is any guide the umps have been told to put the whistle away this week after going overboard in the first 3 rounds  ::). Maybe it's part of this umpire friendly round lol.

Bloody hell it was.  Brown and Bradshaw couldn't buy a free kick for over the shoulder that the umpires were read hot on for the past three weeks.

Oh but sorry, I forgot, they don't change interpretations mid-week, right Geisch?  ;D
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com

Bloody hell it was.  Brown and Bradshaw couldn't buy a free kick for over the shoulder that the umpires were read hot on for the past three weeks.

Oh but sorry, I forgot, they don't change interpretations mid-week, right Geisch?  ;D
It's laughable isn't it. They introduce these new rules and interpretations, umps are told to go mad for the first few weeks and then when they see how farcical such a strict interpretation is they go soft and even ignore the new rules. See the holding on to the player after the ball has gone = 50m rule tonight. It doesn't exist. Adrian Anderson will then come out at the end of the season and state the new rules have been a success  :wallywink. Having said that Bucks was right last night to say as a player you need to read and adjust to the umpiring on the day.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Umps image revamp long overdue: Hird (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2009, 05:37:33 AM »
Good article by Hird now that he can freely speak about umpiring...

Umps image revamp long overdue
James Hird | April 22, 2009

TODAY I break a promise I made to myself in 2004. The promise is that I would never speak about the umpires in public again.

The relationship between the umpires department and the clubs is at an all-time low.

By creating an environment in which the umpires are seen as precious we have harmed their image further.

Full article at:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25368305-19742,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2009, 02:18:47 AM »
Can someone explain what the free kick against Browny on the members wing was for when he didn't have possession of the footy?

It has no effect on the outcome of the game but there were some perplexing double standards with holding the ball decisions yesterday  ???.